Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_mac

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 18, 2019, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2019, 04:10:16 PM
Every 4 years for a MAJORITY to reject the deal.

A majority in Stormont?  Or a majority in Stormont amongst both communities? Or a referendum?

It's a simple one vote majority.

Jell 0 Biafra

That seems pretty risky.

lurganblue

Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 04:18:39 PM

A majority in Stormont?  Or a majority in Stormont amongst both communities? Or a referendum?

Which goes against the power sharing agreement

tyrone08

Quote from: lurganblue on October 18, 2019, 04:23:48 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 04:18:39 PM

Which goes against the power sharing agreement

Seems pretty straight forward vote  to me as the majority of NI people wanted to remain so there is no reason to think that the vote in 4 years will be any different

Rossfan

It seems the Assembly is being recalled on Monday?
I presume it will fail to elect a Speaker and will be adjourned....??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

I'd be as pessimistic about brexit as the next but I can't see this ever being overturned in Stormont.

Nats + Non-Aligned + Level headed UU will always vote for it.

I can see this passing 60:40 plus in any vote.

I'd take my lead from the business community who have given it a cautious welcome.

Anecdotally, I have a work colleague who is a staunch DUP voter and brexiteer... his view is that Arlene needs to wise up and take it as the alternative is oblivion.

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on October 18, 2019, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2019, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 17, 2019, 09:40:33 PM
If Boris can get the ERG, and some Labour party rebels onboard, then it would be very tight.
This so called deal is doomed.
I don't get why northern nationalists are clinging to the remnants of the arse end of british imperialism to do right by them.  Has recent decades of subvention addiction affected rational perspective?

The whole focus is on what the DUP demands, there's not a peep out of NI nationalists, It's left up to EU representatives to explain that a DUP veto is not an inevitability to be endured and suffered but one  can choose another way.

I think you're forgetting the "great work" Martina Anderson has done for Sinn Fein in Brussels!!!

John Campbell of BBC NI, I think he's their Brexit Business expert said as much last night even if you are being sarcastic  ;D

Sinn Fein had a big say in the EU's Brexit steering committee as can be seen how the democratic mandate requested by the DUP/UK for the people of Northern Ireland was changed from what in reality was a DUP Veto to a simple majority in Stormont and far from a DUP veto.
Afair the EU reps picked up on the negative importance of the DUP veto clause before a sneeze could be heard on rte about it. But in general most of the EU representatives I have heard interviewed have an understanding of the GFA and a great respect for it. It's all well and good  that Martina explains perspectives but these EU reps have the nous to understand the GFA, appreciate what it's all about and talk about it intelligently.

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

Then look across the pond.
If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

And then try looking across the other pond...  ;D

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

Two can play this cherry picking game.

Compare the Healy Raes to Conor Murphy.

trailer

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 04:09:20 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 03:58:39 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 18, 2019, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

Not often I agree with you, but I'm broadly of the same attitude.

Its a terrible deal for NI.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

I was thinking the same!

How is it a terrible deal for NI?

No hard border
Close ties with main trading partner
Will benefit from any trading deals UK strikes
Strong chance companies will invest in NI due to links with EU and UK

Have I missed something?

I am in agreement with yourself,  I was thinking why some thought it was a bad deal for NI.

General rule is if the DUP don't like it then it must be good lol.

No fan of Boris or tories but it's stupid when the likes of Labour or snp come out and say the deal is horrible or worse than May's deal without stating any examples as to why its bad. Its almost child like, I don't like it, why, not saying why.

Very silly to think that because DUP don't like it it must be good. This is a real issue, people aren't viewing this deal for what it is. You know when you see stuff like not available in NI and it pisses you off? Expect loads more of that. If it is available expect it to cost more.
Barriers to trade mean delay, that means extra costs, higher prices and ultimately uncompetitiveness.
But look let's see if it passes first.

weareros

Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2019, 04:50:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 18, 2019, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2019, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 17, 2019, 09:40:33 PM
If Boris can get the ERG, and some Labour party rebels onboard, then it would be very tight.
This so called deal is doomed.
I don't get why northern nationalists are clinging to the remnants of the arse end of british imperialism to do right by them.  Has recent decades of subvention addiction affected rational perspective?

The whole focus is on what the DUP demands, there's not a peep out of NI nationalists, It's left up to EU representatives to explain that a DUP veto is not an inevitability to be endured and suffered but one  can choose another way.

I think you're forgetting the "great work" Martina Anderson has done for Sinn Fein in Brussels!!!

John Campbell of BBC NI, I think he's their Brexit Business expert said as much last night even if you are being sarcastic  ;D

Sinn Fein had a big say in the EU's Brexit steering committee as can be seen how the democratic mandate requested by the DUP/UK for the people of Northern Ireland was changed from what in reality was a DUP Veto to a simple majority in Stormont and far from a DUP veto.
Afair the EU reps picked up on the negative importance of the DUP veto clause before a sneeze could be heard on rte about it. But in general most of the EU representatives I have heard interviewed have an understanding of the GFA and a great respect for it. It's all well and good  that Martina explains perspectives but these EU reps have the nous to understand the GFA, appreciate what it's all about and talk about it intelligently.

I think all the Irish politicians of varying nationalist hue and shades of green (FG,FF,SF,SDLP,Lab) can compliment themselves on a job well done (so far). It's rare thing to see in Irish politics everyone towing the party line. They can tear lumps out of each other on other matters but they played this one very well and there was for the most part a united front at all times.

weareros

Quote from: BennyCake on October 18, 2019, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2019, 03:53:57 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

Then look across the pond.
If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

And then try looking across the other pond...  ;D

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

A chap writing fan mail to Kylie Minogue is statesmanlike? Right.

Some of the gaffes Varadkar has been involved in since he took office make him look as detached from the common man as can be.

I've always said it, Varadkar is a spineless arselicker. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

He does what he's told by Europe, regardless of the consequences for the economy/jobs/trade in the South or the North. He's no different than the DUP who will do anything to preserve their precious Union, regardless of the consequences.

I hear this opinion every now and again, but it was Ireland that created the fuss over the GFA, and the EU then ran with it - despite some thinking they would eventually throw us under the bus. I would have many issues with Varadkar, but I have rarely if ever seen an Irish leader (Coveney deserves credit too) be so steely on the international stage. He had both May and Boris in his pocket at all times, and basically treated the DUP with the contempt they deserve, but no one has ever dared to do before. He has shook the life out of them. He can do that because he is an arrogant so and so. It's also the thing that will never make him that popular at home because he does not have that common "Bertie Touch". But it served it's purpose here.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2019, 04:31:08 PM
It seems the Assembly is being recalled on Monday?
I presume it will fail to elect a Speaker and will be adjourned....??

I saw the order paper earlier. First business is to elect a Speaker. That requires cross community support. I don't think they will achieve that, so the session will probably last from noon until 12:05 pm.

Rossfan

Leo and Coveney came across as so sensible, level headed, statesman like and well spoken compared to the loons of the DUPUDA and a lot of the clowns in Westminster.
Obviously changing the "backstop" to an " arrangement" was Leo's quid pro quo to Bozo's going back to the 2017 draft agreement.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: weareros on October 18, 2019, 05:12:22 PM

I hear this opinion every now and again, but it was Ireland that created the fuss over the GFA, and the EU then ran with it - despite some thinking they would eventually throw us under the bus. I would have many issues with Varadkar, but I have rarely if ever seen an Irish leader (Coveney deserves credit too) be so steely on the international stage. He had both May and Boris in his pocket at all times, and basically treated the DUP with the contempt they deserve, but no one has ever dared to do before. He has shook the life out of them. He can do that because he is an arrogant so and so. It's also the thing that will never make him that popular at home because he does not have that common "Bertie Touch". But it served it's purpose here.

An Irish politician could cure cancer, solve the Israel/Palestine dispute, resolve the Drumcree parade dispute, and deliver a peaceful united Ireland, and you'd still get people moaning about how he's a "spineless bootlicking gobshite." There are some people who will just not give credit where it's due. Varadkar has played a blinder here and could go down in history as the man who thwarted Brexit. He deserves due credit, him and Coveney both.

tyrone08

Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 05:05:01 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 04:09:20 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 03:58:39 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 18, 2019, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

Not often I agree with you, but I'm broadly of the same attitude.

Its a terrible deal for NI.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

I was thinking the same!

How is it a terrible deal for NI?

No hard border
Close ties with main trading partner
Will benefit from any trading deals UK strikes
Strong chance companies will invest in NI due to links with EU and UK

Have I missed something?

I am in agreement with yourself,  I was thinking why some thought it was a bad deal for NI.

General rule is if the DUP don't like it then it must be good lol.

No fan of Boris or tories but it's stupid when the likes of Labour or snp come out and say the deal is horrible or worse than May's deal without stating any examples as to why its bad. Its almost child like, I don't like it, why, not saying why.

Very silly to think that because DUP don't like it it must be good. This is a real issue, people aren't viewing this deal for what it is. You know when you see stuff like not available in NI and it pisses you off? Expect loads more of that. If it is available expect it to cost more.
Barriers to trade mean delay, that means extra costs, higher prices and ultimately uncompetitiveness.
But look let's see if it passes first.

The comment about the DUP was intedned to be a joke but in saying that time and time again they have shown no interest in what is good  for NI.

My take on it (which may be wrong) was that there wouldn't be any major barriers in NI as they are aligned to the EU rules but in this deal are still considered part of UK which means no additional checks.

Wish someone would do a simple 2 page document with the main points of the deal to simplify things. Athough it could be argued that it's purposely long and complex to ensure not everyone does understand it.