New rule re:extra-time

Started by Jinxy, October 10, 2008, 01:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on March 04, 2011, 09:13:32 AM
Sense prevails at last.

I wouldn't credit the top brass with doing the "right thing". Its financially motivated but it also happens to be the right thing. The utter rubbish about "more time for club matches" (something I'm all for) when it was brought in was sickening.

David McKeown

This strikes me as bad science to be honest.  I thought the problems caused in the era of replays for every match wasnt so much because of the replay itself but because of the knock on effect they had on players and other games later on in the championship.  Which would probably be a much harder to quantify intangible.

That said glad replays are back, now just to get rid of the back door and Id be happier still
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Zulu

QuoteThat said glad replays are back, now just to get rid of the back door and Id be happier still

You want the old knockout format?

donelli

Quote from: Hardy on March 04, 2011, 02:51:01 PM
Quote from: donelli on March 04, 2011, 12:56:10 PM
so they want to revert back to replays because they want more of our money.
thanks again.  ::)

What "they" would that be. How are "they" different to "we"?

What did you think of these points:

"In hard times, our clubs and counties could do with extra revenue (from replays)"
"as things stand, we're getting the worst of both worlds -- reduced income and no extra club fixtures"
"if we take the money in, we give back out to the counties and clubs so everybody benefits"

in hard times, screw the punters again by asking us to fork out additional mone to see the conclusion of a tie.
There are no addiional club fixtures. but with the extra week or so in the summer for club games there was the opportunity to play the club year within a sensible period, not taking a 11-12 month season.
dublin exiting the championship early was the main reson leinster's income was dramatically down. It isnt as simple as More money in more money out., on that basis whynot charge eur100 admission.... it doesnt work like that. punters have to feel they arent getting mugged each time. It shows in attendance figures where replays are normally well down on their 1st game figures.

Hardy

So if we'd had those replays last year there wouldn't have been any extra revenue? Nobody would have turned up?

David McKeown

Quote from: Zulu on March 04, 2011, 09:46:39 PM
QuoteThat said glad replays are back, now just to get rid of the back door and Id be happier still

You want the old knockout format?

I would find it preferable as i find this system has removed an awful lot of the excitement of the Championship.  I also find this system even more unfair than straight knock out when one county can win their first match then lose their second and end up in the third round of qualifiers whilst another county can do the same and instead end up entering two rounds earlier in the qualifiers

That said I would maybe prepare an entirely different system all together
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner