Video Evidence

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, June 04, 2007, 10:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

I think that the GAA have to be very careful about their use of video evidence. From what I can see they mainly seem to use it for high profile cases brought on from a media outcry. These bans seem to come as a result of pressure from Sunday Game pundits. This is not the way our games should be governed. If video evidence is to be used there must be camera's at every championship match and clear procedures must be in place to ensure that each game is treated equally. Every game has to be watched and reviewed by the panel or its not a fair process. Why should high profile players be more at risk to suspension by video evidence than other players from weaker counties. If a study is carried out into which county players have been suspended from video evidence I think you'll find theyre nearly all high profle players. I think you'll find very few players with a low profile from weaker counties being suspended by video. Imo Geraghty shouldnt be suspended as many players have done as bad and not a word said.

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 04, 2007, 10:05:41 PM
I think that the GAA have to be very careful about their use of video evidence. From what I can see they mainly seem to use it for high profile cases brought on from a media outcry. These bans seem to come as a result of pressure from Sunday Game pundits. This is not the way our games should be governed. If video evidence is to be used there must be camera's at every championship match and clear procedures must be in place to ensure that each game is treated equally. Every game has to be watched and reviewed by the panel or its not a fair process. Why should high profile players be more at risk to suspension by video evidence than other players from weaker counties. If a study is carried out into which county players have been suspended from video evidence I think you'll find theyre nearly all high profle players. I think you'll find very few players with a low profile from weaker counties being suspended by video. Imo Geraghty shouldnt be suspended as many players have done as bad and not a word said.

I dont think it is right to say that Geraghty shouldn't be suspended because other have got away with worse, he played like a dirty naker yesterday and should be banned. As a whole I think there should be a citing officer like in rugby that reviews the game when its over!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Louth Exile

Geraghty is, was and will always be a kn**ker. He showed it again yesterday, I was at the game and the only incident I clearly saw was the slap on Cosgrove. Given that there is the technology and the systems in place he should be punished. Not right that he should get away with it, although given that he was booked for one incident I am not sure if further action can be taken!

On a different issue that hardstation touched on... The Square Ball... this has to be looked at, we have had three games in eight days where poor decisions were made and had a major impact on the respective games.
Donegal/Armagh (not given incorrectly) changes result from Armagh win to Donegal win
Longford/Laois (called incorrectly) turning point of the game, a four point swing as laois score directly from the resultant free and means that Longford are two points down instead of two points up. In a game where they lost by five if the goal had stood it could well have been a different result
Dublin/Meath (not given incorrectly) Meath would have won instead of ending up with a draw
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

johnpower

IF Video evidence is to be used then it should be clear who is responsible for bringing up the issues/incidents to review . Each team should be made aware that games will be scrutinised by an independent panel of qualified people and not by sunday game experts resonding to texts messages and calls to the programme

darbyo

I wouldn't like to see a citing officer sitting in the stand looking for things to drag up after the game. Every year we are always debating various incidents 'was it a foul or not?'. Football is a game with an element of lawlessness and all the better for it. As I've said on another thread some things should be let go in favour of flowing, physical football. And let the only review of these things be on discussion boards like this, we'll argue it out but let the players get on with the football.

Tyrone Dreamer

Maybe Im wrong but Ive yet to see Spillane point out to many incidents involving Kerry players. The current system is a joke and biased against higher profile players. The panelists on the Sunday Game have far to much input into who is being suspened by video evidence. A clear and transparent system must be put in place so that every game is dealt with equally or the whole thing scrapped. Maybe someone could put up a list of all players banned so far using video evidence - Im convinced nearly everyone is a high profile player but will take it back if Im wrong. The ironic thing is its Spillane and these guys who complain about current day players and long for a return to the tough men of the 70's/80's, yet when there's a few knocks in a game its a disgrace. It was a great game of football helped very much by a ref who would let the thing go a bit.

INDIANA

[
QuotePeople calling for players suspension are a joke just like players who run to the referee trying to get a player booked or sent off.

Bang on.

i'd love to see you as a ref -i'd say it would be compelling viewing. Tell you what let's go the whole hog- forget the rules let's just let everyone beat the shit out of each other- whatever team has less men in A&E after the game wins.

ONeill

Our GAA punditry has, unfortunately, started to go the way of our soccer friends across the water. The big talking points are now off-the-ball incidents or possible subsequent sanctions, surprisingly and usually initiated by Spillane himself as well as the likes of McStay. O'Rourke, Tohill and Brolly try to stick to the football fortunately but the dumbing down and sensationalism of GAA analysis is an unstoppable force. It's sexier for the media that way. The sad thing is that the public are swallowing it and are now talking after matches about tackles and slaps that wouldn't have garnered a mention 10 years ago.

What's the Aussie Rules punditry like?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnpower

I think blaming Mr Spillane is a cop out . RTE is only interested in ratings ansd stirring the pot remember most of its own programs are only interested in people texting in the program (celebrity Jigs and Reels etc). Video evidence analysis of wrong doings should not  be RTE jobbut should be the Job of the GAA . Australian punditry involves a lot of piss taking but would not work here as our players are only amatuers.

ONeill

Geez I don't know, I'd imagine Spillane has a big say in how the programme's narrative develops. He has nutured this annoying style of firing out pot-stirring questions, barely waiting for an answer, nor showing little interest in one, before throwing out the next one. You feel that he actually has little faith in what's he's hinting at himself. It's easy to sit back on the sofa and know he'll entertain you in some manner but it is dumbing down at the end of the day. Fast-food analysis of the UTV variety.

stephenite

There wouldn't be a huge amount of difference in the standard of punditry I would say, but it's difficult to draw a comparison, I will always listen to the GAA pundits, but I'd be confident enough in my own knowledge to be able to mutter at the TV that you're talking out of your hole again Joe/Colm/Kevin

I'd listen to the AFL pundits and they can get quite technical, they'd draw a comparison to an incident 3 or 4 years go to make a point and I wouldn't have a clue - generally speaking I think punditry by former players is going to be the same, most ex-players realise they are on to a lucrative enough, handy number and know the line between being controversial enough to keep the public interested but not going over the line into getting themselves into trouble

johnpower

Punditry is a good gig for  a former player . At this stage of the championship it can be difficult with the number of games . I would not mind  more honesty and openess . What do we want of the Sunday game just the highlights and previews . ?

darbyo

I think we need more journalists and ex-coaches/players who are more removed from their current counties set ups. Too many many of the Sunday Game pundits won't criticise their own or won't say things that might come back to haunt them. Sure Tohill wouldn't even pick a winner in the Munster championship FFS.

ONeill

It's a difficult job I suppose, especially that immediate analysis that O'Rourke and Brolly give. Few journalists will ever take up that offer - they make their name (as we do on here) from looking back on the action after various reruns and after the dust has settled. They might lose their credability if thrust in front of the camera. I actually like listening to Colm and Joe as they sometimes offer an insight you couldn't possibly spot from behind the screen but the night time show, when they've had some time to prepare, is diabolically rushed and lightweight. Ad break constraints as well as the amount of matches, and codes, may play a part but there's definitely a market out there for a quality 90-120 minute show early in the week.

darbyo

Agree the number of matches makes proper analysis difficult and the fact that you might have both codes on some nights makes it harder still. However thats why I can't understand why there isn't a midweek 2hr show dedicated to analysis and previews with a phone in aspect to the show. Des Cahill is on record as saying that the GAA dominates his phone in show on radio 1, it woulde make for compulsive viewing and would be relatively cheap to produce I would imagine.