Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 12:30:37 PM
The bit you missed was 'registered to another Federation'.
Where the player was born or who he qualifies for doesn't come into it.
He can only change federations after his request for a transfer to NI has been processed by FIFA.

IFA "tapping"
Unethical but not illegal.

I was going to add - regardless of what federation he is registered with.

By your logic Kane has made an unethical decision to switch back.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

his holiness nb

Quote from: Chrisowc on September 05, 2007, 12:43:15 PM

Excellent point Chris. But not suprising given the culture or looking after no1 amongst pro soccer players these days.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Are you fecking twisted or just trolling.
I said Kane had every right.

Play your twisted game somewhere else

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 12:51:45 PM

Are you fecking twisted or just trolling.
I said Kane had every right.

Play your twisted game somewhere else

I am not doing either.  You have said Kane had the right to switch back and therefore the IFA have every right to approach Kane.  We can agree to disagree.

Main Street

Quote from: Chrisowc on September 05, 2007, 12:59:15 PM
I am not doing either.  You have said Kane had the right to switch back and therefore the IFA have every right to approach Kane.  We can agree to disagree.
Seeing as you have changed your tactless previous "logical" output.

Well let me stretch your logic.
If the IFA have the right to approach players registered for another federation yet eligible for the IFA
then the FAI have right to approach players eligible for playing for their team.
That is, make public announcements about such legibility, make public appeals through the media and make personal contact with the players in question.
To this very second of this very minute nothing has changed since the FIFA legal department have sent a letter to the IFA in October 2006 saying that those born in NI are eligible to declare for the Republic. Nothing has changed, not even a hint that FIFA have anything else on their mind.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 01:14:21 PM

If the IFA have the right to approach players registered for another federation yet eligible for the IFA
then the FAI have right to approach players eligible for playing for their team.
That is, make public announcements about such legibility, make public appeals through the media and make personal contact with the players in question.
To this very second of this very minute nothing has changed since the FIFA legal department have sent a letter to the IFA in October 2006 saying that those born in NI are eligible to declare for the Republic. Nothing has changed, not even a hint that FIFA have anything else on their mind.

Of course the FAI have a right to approach players eligible for their team.  Are you telling me they have never made a public announcement, made a public appeal or made personal approach for a player also eligible another association?

I wasn't aware of the contents of a letter sent to the IFA in October 2006 saying that those born in NI are eligible for the Rebublic.  I would be grateful if you could direct me to the contents of this letter.

Main Street

FIFA letter of reply from their legal heads
http://news.bbc.co.uk/solpda/ukfs_sport/hi/newsid_6083000/6083842.stm

QuoteAre you telling me they have never made a public announcement, made a public appeal or made personal approach for a player also eligible another association?

Eligibility is one thing, loads of players are eligible but being actually registered with the national federation and selected to play in the teams most very recent u21 friendly is another thing. I haven't come across a case of such blatant public tapping as with Kane.

For my part, the players interest come first, good luck to Kane.

nifan

Main Street

I don't know about the Chris Baird situation. Is he the exception that proves the rule :)
I do not have any reason to doubt that he was asked to declare for the Republic.
But I never heard about it in the Irish media or anything so blatant as the the IFA bluffers.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 11:48:48 AM
It was Givens who stated that it was Kane who approached the FAI asking to play for Ireland.

Kane played for the Republic in an U-21 friendly against Germany last week

"If it's true, it would be a massive change of heart from Tony," said Givens.

Could indicate that he does not have much of a rapport with Givens.
Indicates a strong decision taken in private.
Could also be the result of an unethical fervent approach by the NI manager to a player registered with another federation.
Imo, it smacks of IFA hypocrecy.

I have never seen Kane play also I don't know in what esteem he was held by Givens. Looks like he might have been good enough for the u21 squad.
It is his right to change his mind, he always had up to the age of 21 as long as he only played underage friendlies for Ireland..

Don't forget that Kane has already represented Northern Ireland. It may not be that much of a change of heart for him. He was messed about by them to their usual standard and was overlooked for the Milk Cup team and became naturally frustrated. It is more than likely that he has formed strong bonds with others in the NI set-up, and that is where his loyalties lie - to team-mates he has grown up with as opposed to one state or the other. Even if the Gibson case goes the FAIs way coaxing other young lads to walk away from team-mates (and friends) is going to be a major hurdle for them. 

magickingdom

Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 05, 2007, 05:18:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 11:48:48 AM
It was Givens who stated that it was Kane who approached the FAI asking to play for Ireland.

Kane played for the Republic in an U-21 friendly against Germany last week

"If it's true, it would be a massive change of heart from Tony," said Givens.

Could indicate that he does not have much of a rapport with Givens.
Indicates a strong decision taken in private.
Could also be the result of an unethical fervent approach by the NI manager to a player registered with another federation.
Imo, it smacks of IFA hypocrecy.

I have never seen Kane play also I don't know in what esteem he was held by Givens. Looks like he might have been good enough for the u21 squad.
It is his right to change his mind, he always had up to the age of 21 as long as he only played underage friendlies for Ireland..

Don't forget that Kane has already represented Northern Ireland. It may not be that much of a change of heart for him. He was messed about by them to their usual standard and was overlooked for the Milk Cup team and became naturally frustrated. It is more than likely that he has formed strong bonds with others in the NI set-up, and that is where his loyalties lie - to team-mates he has grown up with as opposed to one state or the other. Even if the Gibson case goes the FAIs way coaxing other young lads to walk away from team-mates (and friends) is going to be a major hurdle for them. 

ha ha pull the other one. lets all join the windsor park love in  :D

SammyG

Sorry but not for the first time I have to ask if you;re mental or just trolling. Kane isn't elligible for the RoI, he was born and bred in NI. Why should the IFA not approach players that are elligible to play for them? The issue with Kane, O'Connor, Baird etc is that the FAI are approaching players that have no elligibility (and doing so in a purely sectarian manner but that's a different story)

Sorry but again that's bollix. If a team pick inelligible players (as the RoI are threatening to do but haven't yet) then they must expect to be dealt with by FIFA.

Complete lie, where do you get this nonsense from? The only letter that the FAI have recieved is one asking for details of Gibson and O'Connor's elligibility under the 4 criteria. To date the FAI have not provided this documentation (nor can they as he doesn't meet any of them.)

Main Street

GalwayBayBoy

I assure you Darron Gibson is not eligible for the beggars. Howard Wells has promised us. He will destroy them.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 09:34:20 PM
Trolling again Sammy or just naturally thick?
Neither, you're the one that's spouting nonsense. Strange that you haven't addressed any of my points.