Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Both games would have been very different from an entertainment/atmosphere perspective if they were held elsewhere.
Not saying the results would have been any different, but I'm just sick of Croke Park.
I'm looking forward to the novelty value alone of the remaining games in smaller venues with partisan crowds.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jayop

Preach Jinxy. That's a big part of it. Croke Park used to be a novelty for teams but it's being over used these days.

redzone

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2018, 09:03:34 PM
Both games would have been very different from an entertainment/atmosphere perspective if they were held elsewhere.
Not saying the results would have been any different, but I'm just sick of Croke Park.
I'm looking forward to the novelty value alone of the remaining games in smaller venues with partisan crowds.
Monaghan v Kerry in clones should bring a massive crowd. A lot of neutrals will go to it

Laoiseabu

Ye may change the thread name to super 7s after that Roscommon display lads

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I got tickets for the Hill for the 1st time in a good while for tomorrow, hopefully there will be some sort of atmosphere there. At least I won't be having to get up every 5 minutes in the second half while people come in for the second game but there is rain forecasted.

RedHand88

Agreed. Late July/early August has become the month of watching walkovers in a 25% full croke park. It's tedious.

BennyCake

That display tonight confirmed to me that Gaelic football is dead as a spectacle.

longballin

it's in dire state at county level. Club football can be very good though... we have a great championship in Tyrone. Can't wait

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Great game between Kildare and Kerry at u20 level while Mayo and Derry was meant to be good too.

yellowcard

Simply too many games at county level and fans will pick and choose when to attend. The league structure dilutes the 'do or sie' feel of a match and the sight of thousands of empty seats doesn't do anything for the spectacle.

The attendance tomorrow will be very poor I feel and by the time the super 8s is completed the 4 qualifier teams will have been in action for 6 consecutive weeks. That's a serious expense for anyone thinking of following a county team week on week. It's not like the spectacle has been brilliant to date, once the novelty of these super 8s wear off I think there will be another discussion around their future.

straightred

i was in this evening and while there was some good scoring both games cruised to inevitable outcomes. Dublin in particular are becoming boring to watch in Croker. Its not the players fault - they just try to win but everything is stacked in their favour in Croke Park. I'll go in again tomorrow and hope for better

BennyHarp

For me the value in the super 8 is when the games move out of Croke Park. The Dubs in Omagh, Kerry in Clones etc will be great occasions. Then possible winner takes all games in regional grounds like Tyrone v Donegal in Ballybofey. I wouldn't be writing off the Super 8s just yet.
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 14, 2018, 11:56:35 PM
For me the value in the super 8 is when the games move out of Croke Park. The Dubs in Omagh, Kerry in Clones etc will be great occasions. Then possible winner takes all games like Tyrone v Donegal in Ballybofey. I wouldn't be writing off the Super 8s just yet.

That's it exactly: tbe value cannot be judged on a single weekend, the first weekend. Let's see how the whole thing unravels, then we can call it, though we have three years of it to make a 'proper' assessment.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

I think there's this notion at a high level that cramming a load of games into Croke Park over a weekend creates a kind of festival of football.
It's the exact opposite.
People are generally only really interested in their own game, and the fact that some fans have to travel long distances means they need to get on the road.
I've often hung around for the 1st half of the 2nd game, but I don't think I've ever stayed for the full thing.
We need more standalone games in appropriate venues.
Generate some buzz ffs.
I genuinely don't care about the quality of the coffee, or the state of the toilets, just give me an atmosphere!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2018, 12:32:50 AM
I think there's this notion at a high level that cramming a load of games into Croke Park over a weekend creates a kind of festival of football.
It's the exact opposite.
People are generally only really interested in their own game, and the fact that some fans have to travel long distances means they need to get on the road.
I've often hung around for the 1st half of the 2nd game, but I don't think I've ever stayed for the full thing.
We need more standalone games in appropriate venues.
Generate some buzz ffs.
I genuinely don't care about the quality of the coffee, or the state of the toilets, just give me an atmosphere!

It was telling that the Tyrone sections were empty shortly after the second game starred. As you say most people were on the road.