O'Bradaigh slams Tyrone GAA county board

Started by longrunsthefox, November 16, 2009, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Cúig huaire

You mentioned 2003, 2005 and 2008. You do realise that counties were winning All Irelands long before then and none of us saw the need to go running to Stormont.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Gabriel_Hurl

Didn't stop your minors in 2003

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0108/1230936761466.html

QuoteTHE NATIONALIST community was angered last September when DUP Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure Gregory Campbell deemed last year's All-Ireland final as an "international" event but any lingering resentment on this issue should be dissolved by next month's special reception for the Tyrone footballers in the Grand Hall at Stormont parliament buildings.

The Tyrone senior and minor All-Ireland winning panels have been invited to Stormont on February 6th as guests of honour at an official reception, hosted by Campbell, to recognise their success in 2008.

The Armagh and Tyrone teams attended Stormont in similar capacities after their breakthrough All-Ireland titles in 2002 and 2003.

This event was supposed to take place back in November but the Tyrone players were unavailable and while "the invitation does appear terribly late, this is the next available date from Gregory Campbell's office", said full-time Tyrone secretary Dominic McCaughey.

"We haven't received the invitations yet but do intend on going," continued McCaughey. "We attended in 2003 along with the Down minors. That was a big enough occasion as it was the first time teams went up there."

Puckoon

I mentioned 2003, 2005 & 2008 in a jab at the mighty kingdom with its plethora of all Ireland titles. But you already know that.

On the subject however, I dont care if they go to stormont, or if they dont.

When ulster counties were winning AI titles in the eras you are referring to, the political climate was very very different.

But you already know that too.

Theres no real "need" to go traipsing through aughnacloy, or omagh when Sam comes to Tyrone, yet it happens and most people enjoy it.

Given that some of "our" politicians have made a right song and dance about the delay in certain teams being invited to stormont - maybe they're just being polite by accepting the invitation...

Cúig huaire

What did the minors win in 2003?
Wether they went or not, I still dont agree with it. There is no need for any team to go to Stormont. Its as pointless as planting ash trees next to Carsons statue.

Puckoon

Arent they hoping to make hurls out of the ash trees, or did I make that up?

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2009, 10:44:51 PM

I think there has only been 1 tree planted to date, though I could be wrong. Ziggy mentioned something about that alright.

ziggysego

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 16, 2009, 10:46:26 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2009, 10:44:51 PM

I think there has only been 1 tree planted to date, though I could be wrong. Ziggy mentioned something about that alright.

It appears I was slightly wrong. Only slightly. ;)

Ulster President unveils 125 Tree

Tom Daly President Ulster GAA, Catherine O'Hara Chairperson of Ulster Camogie and Gerry Doherty President Ulster Ladies Gaelic Council jointly planted a tree at the Stormont Estate to mark the 125th Anniversary of the GAA yesterday (Thursday 12th November). The location for the event was close to the peace statue near the Massey Avenue entrance.

A cross section of politicians were present including the President of Sinn Fein Gerry Adams MP MLA, SDLP Leader Mark Durkan MP MLA and Alliance Party Culture, Arts and Leisure Spokesman Kieran McCarthy MLA. Also attending was Minister for Social Development Margaret Ritchie MLA, Gerry Kelly MLA Junior Minister OFMDFM, Conor Murphy MP MLA, Michelle Gildernew MP MLA and Trevor Lunn MLA.

Earlier this year the Ulster Camogie Council and Ulster Ladies Gaelic Football Council with the support of Ulster GAA launched a conservation initiative which, with the help of a local Company (Back to Eden Ireland) aims to create a Peoples Forest by planting 10,000 ash saplings in various Ulster sites.

The significance of this project is that the Irish Ash tree has traditionally been used in the manufacture of hurling/camogie sticks. The planting of 10,000 saplings equates to one year's supply of the ash needed to sustain our games and meet the demand for 250,000 hurls per year. As part of this initiative, Ulster GAA has invited the 580 GAA clubs in the Province to participate in this programme. There will also be the opportunity to plant a further 1,000 ash saplings in a woodland area of the Stormont estate and these will also be clearly signed to acknowledge the contribution of the GAA and the celebration of its 125 years. Each tree produces enough ash to manufacture 25 hurls meaning that when your trees reach maturity in 25 years they will represent 125 hurling/camogie sticks.

Tom Daly President Ulster GAA said "We are delighted to support both Ulster Camogie and the Ulster Ladies Gaelic Council in this initiative and I would encourage all GAA clubs in Ulster to get involved in the scheme. I also welcome this opportunity to mark the 125th Anniversary of the GAA by the planting of a 125 tree in the seat of the Assembly and I am thankful to the both the Estate authorities and public leaders who facilitated this event"

Sourced Ulster GAA: http://ulster.gaa.ie/2009/11/13/ulster-president-unveils-125-tree/
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 16, 2009, 10:33:17 PM
You mentioned 2003, 2005 and 2008. You do realise that counties were winning All Irelands long before then and none of us saw the need to go running to Stormont.

Well when Down last won it there was no parliament at Stormont.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

longrunsthefox

Jees! Ziggy you are obsessed with that bloody tree. You should go there and hug it  ;)

orangeman

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 16, 2009, 11:03:47 PM
Jees! Ziggy you are obsessed with that bloody tree. You should go there and hug it  ;)

I <3 Trees  ;D
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: reddgnhand on November 16, 2009, 10:30:47 PM
IS Stormont not part of Ireland. Is O'Bradaigh saying that there is a part of Ireland that Sam ishould not go?

I like your style, lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on November 16, 2009, 09:46:53 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 16, 2009, 09:32:32 PM
There is a documentary on the IRA of the 1950's which makes an odd appearance on the discovery channel every so often. I think it was done by some english crowd. Unfortunately O Bradaigh is prominent in it. While almost every other contributor speaks in English (useful since the english interviewer spoke that languag) O Bradaigh insisted on speaking in Irish through a translator. That is the tpe of gobshite he is.

Myles that is because it was a documentary on the 1950s campaign and made originally for TG4? But the man 'Brady' is as mad as a hatter and so to was yer man Sean South who was slightly to the political right of yer man from the BNP. South believed that the two biggest evils facing Ireland were Protestantism and Communism, so speaking Irish was the way to save Ireland? I'm just reading a new book called 'Soldiers of Folly' which exposes some of the loopers that ran about back then! Rory Brady TD is yesterday's man.

I'm fairly sure it was a different program to the TG4 one, mainly because it was total shite and littered with inaccuracies.

Zapatista

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 16, 2009, 10:24:18 PM
I agree with O'Bradaigh to a certain extent, but should sport and politics not be kept apart? .

No. It's not possible.