O'Bradaigh slams Tyrone GAA county board

Started by longrunsthefox, November 16, 2009, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Not sure whether to put this on GAA thread but seems more general politics.
And at the risk of being called a WUM... again  :P

At the Republican Sinn Fein Ard Fheis, Ruairi O'Bradaigh launched a scathing attack on the GAA bosses in Tyrone for bringing the Sam Maguire and Thomas Markham All Irealnd cups to Stormont last year.
He said, "A gratuitous insult to the people of Ireland and the unity of Ireland was the decision of the Tyrone county board GAA to bring the senior and minor football trophies into stormont. To do so was to hijack two symbols of the essential unity of the Irish nation in order to lend credibiity to a prop of Bristish rule here and of the partition of Ireland."
There you go...it is a discussion board after all... any thoughts?     

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

I thought he retired?

He's flogging a dead horse there anyway.

Bensars

The fact that he has been replaced by  Des Dalton who  was elected RSF president yesterday ,must have nothing to do with it.

Did his party not field candidates in the 2007 assembly elections ? ::)

Orior

I think we all understand what he is saying, but dis-engagement would only serve to make Stormont a protestant parliament for a protestant people.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mylestheslasher

There is a documentary on the IRA of the 1950's which makes an odd appearance on the discovery channel every so often. I think it was done by some english crowd. Unfortunately O Bradaigh is prominent in it. While almost every other contributor speaks in English (useful since the english interviewer spoke that languag) O Bradaigh insisted on speaking in Irish through a translator. That is the tpe of gobshite he is.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 16, 2009, 09:32:32 PM
There is a documentary on the IRA of the 1950's which makes an odd appearance on the discovery channel every so often. I think it was done by some english crowd. Unfortunately O Bradaigh is prominent in it. While almost every other contributor speaks in English (useful since the english interviewer spoke that languag) O Bradaigh insisted on speaking in Irish through a translator. That is the tpe of gobshite he is.

Myles that is because it was a documentary on the 1950s campaign and made originally for TG4? But the man 'Brady' is as mad as a hatter and so to was yer man Sean South who was slightly to the political right of yer man from the BNP. South believed that the two biggest evils facing Ireland were Protestantism and Communism, so speaking Irish was the way to save Ireland? I'm just reading a new book called 'Soldiers of Folly' which exposes some of the loopers that ran about back then! Rory Brady TD is yesterday's man.

JUst retired

He is a complete ar*eho*e. Who cares what he says OR maybe he does not like puke football ;D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Orior on November 16, 2009, 08:34:44 PM
I think we all understand what he is saying, but dis-engagement would only serve to make Stormont a protestant parliament for a protestant people.

Is that not what it is anyway?

I agree with O'Bradaigh to a certain extent, but should sport and politics not be kept apart? There is no need to go traipsing up to Stormont with Sam Maguire or any trophy for that matter. Maybe I am wrong but you dont see the Kerry team running to the Dail every year.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Puckoon

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 16, 2009, 10:24:18 PM

I agree with O'Bradaigh to a certain extent, but should sport and politics not be kept apart? There is no need to go traipsing up to Stormont with Sam Maguire or any trophy for that matter. Maybe I am wrong but you dont see the Kerry team running to the Dail every year.

They definitely were not there in 2003, 2005 or 2008.

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2009, 10:26:59 PM
They definitely were not there in 2003, 2005 or 2008.

Right enough football was only invented in 2003.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Minder

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 16, 2009, 10:24:18 PM

Totally agree, why would any team want recognition from politicians?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

reddgnhand

IS Stormont not part of Ireland. Is O'Bradaigh saying that there is a part of Ireland that Sam ishould not go?