Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stephenite on July 23, 2019, 01:32:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2019, 08:30:21 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 23, 2019, 12:07:56 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 22, 2019, 11:30:33 PM
With Portrush still be in 'Britain' in 10 years time, or will the Open be up there with the iPlayer in the final settlement?

More emphasis these days seems to be on the open rather than british open so dont see why not even after a UI. Sure there was even talk of having the US PGA at Portrush at one point
Harrington was saying the other day that the Open could feasibly be in Portmarnock (for example) as they are under the auspices of the R&A.

Did they resolve their 'issue' with allowing females in the door?
The article I read (think it was the Irish Times) said that there was consultation ongoing. It would be appear to be mad not to change the status quo if they are going to be blacklisted from all major R&A events.

thebigfella

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 22, 2019, 11:17:29 PM
With Portrush being such a success other than the weather it's almost certain the open will be back. Which makes me think if Portrush can host it after some course adjustments then why not add county down to the rota as well. If anything it is an even better course.

RCD don't want to host The Open. It's been shot down numerous times.

They would need to spend quite a bit and have a loss of revenue while they make the necessary changes which would be necessary. There is no appetite for that in RCD.

NAG1

Quote from: thebigfella on July 23, 2019, 05:11:16 PM
With Portrush being such a success other than the weather it's almost certain the open will be back. Which makes me think if Portrush can host it after some course adjustments then why not add county down to the rota as well. If anything it is an even better course.

They would need to spend quite a bit and have a loss of revenue while they make the necessary changes which would be necessary. There is no appetite for that in RCD.

What happened between RCD and St Andrew's heard on the radio at the weekend that there is a sign up St Andrew's (at least I think it was there) to say everyone welcome bar members of RCD?

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: NAG1 on July 24, 2019, 09:45:45 AM

What happened between RCD and St Andrew's heard on the radio at the weekend that there is a sign up St Andrew's (at least I think it was there) to say everyone welcome bar members of RCD?

The story goes that a society of St Andrew's members arrived at RCD and were refused access to course years ago. If you believe all you hear ;)

JimStynes

Played RCD a number of years ago and a group of lads were heading out. All dressed in proper golf gear but one lad got a telling off by an older lady. 'Tuck that shirt in, this is Royal County Down!' And off she walked. w**ker

thewobbler

I've played RCD a half dozen times. Never found them anything but civilised.

thebigfella

Played it quite a bit and never had any issues myself to be honest.

Downtothewire

Quote from: NAG1 on July 24, 2019, 09:45:45 AM

I heard they were refused entry to the bar

JimStynes

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2019, 11:30:46 AM

Well to be fair the inncident that I saw was a one off as we hadn't an issue the rest of the day. The good thing with golf in Ireland is it seems to be pretty accessible to most people, whereas England seems to be more elitist. Though we do have some clubs who have members who are full of shit.

Jim Bob

Is the K Club golf course still operating ?
Never hear any talk about it these days!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on July 24, 2019, 07:24:40 PM

Well to be fair the inncident that I saw was a one off as we hadn't an issue the rest of the day. The good thing with golf in Ireland is it seems to be pretty accessible to most people, whereas England seems to be more elitist. Though we do have some clubs who have members who are full of shit.
Is here really any different though. We have green fees from 20 quid to 200 quid and the upper option isn't "accessible to most people". I'd wager Scotland and England are no different but I'd say you are right that the golf club w**ker is likely to be more prevalent in England.

highorlow

QuoteIs the K Club golf course still operating ?
Never hear any talk about it these days!!

Just about, it's not in great condition from what i hear.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

Ryder Cup 2026. . . when are the tickets out??!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 24, 2019, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 24, 2019, 07:24:40 PM

Is here really any different though. We have green fees from 20 quid to 200 quid and the upper option isn't "accessible to most people". I'd wager Scotland and England are no different but I'd say you are right that the golf club w**ker is likely to be more prevalent in England.

Golf in Ireland is more accessible than anywhere in the world. You might baulk at a £200 green fee, but you will pay 50-100% more than that for any course on the Open rota (St Andrews excepted) and the majority of these courses really don't want you unless you fit the profile. Other famous courses in England and Scotland will require a fancy handshake or a £400 fee before they'll admit you.

Head to America, and the majority of highly ranked courses are completely private, to members, guests and people of influence.

There are attempts to make Ireland like this. Adare Manor being the latest to price anyone "normal" out of the market. Hogs Head is trying to be exclusive like an American course. Old Head makes no bones about its target market. Others like K Club and Killeen Castle simply had to adapt to the market and be played for a fraction of their projected exclusive club price nowadays.

We have it pretty good in Ireland, we really do.

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2019, 10:32:51 AM
Ryder Cup 2026. . . when are the tickets out??!!

Why are the cabinet involved in this? Are we as a country going to dole out yet more money to rich people?