The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2021, 08:01:38 PM
"Give me your......." or did that only apply to white Europeans?

So are you accusing President Obama of being a racist because he told them not to come?

Anyway it's an Apples and oranges comparison...That's when the country was in its infancy and they were trying to populate it

Only around 50M in the country at the time that was written

Gmac

Most foreign born in USA by country
Mexico
India
China
Philippines
El Salvador
Vietnam
Cuba
Dominican Republic
South Korea
Guatemala
Colombia
Not many white Europeans in that list but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 10, 2021, 07:36:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 10, 2021, 07:25:48 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 10, 2021, 06:46:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2021, 06:32:35 PM
The 2 bucks still not takin their batin  :D

So J70, Eamonn and other criticizing Trump daily for 4 years was "not takin their batin"-interesting

Do you actually care about these kids and wish to see the overcrowding problems solved?

If you do, then you must realize that Biden has been there six weeks, he is working with what he inherited, and he was already starting from behind due to Trump holding up the transition.

Of course I care about them

Obama told them not to come
Trump told them not to come
Joe is telling them not to come

But they're  still coming.

We share a land border with hundreds of millions of people living in Third World conditions. I don't blame them for one minute for trying to come

I guess the bigger philosophical  question is do we have an obligation to every single person who presents themselves at our southern border?

Of course not.

Its just a shame the issue (which is undeniably difficult) has become so politicized and entrenched that rational discussion and policy making is all but impossible and we're stuck with executive order governing, which is subject to the whims of the White House, to try to deal with it.

Eamonnca1

J70

Arizona Republican, John Kavanaugh, reckons "quality" votes are important. Not every should be voting according to him.

I wonder does a "quality", "informed" voter believe all the baseless conspiracy theories the GOP are currently completely invested in, including Trumps stolen election fantasy? Is this hypothetical voter a Trump-before-country voter like so many Republicans?

Its amazing how afraid the GOP are of electoral turnout. All over the US, they're trying to introduce laws even as anti-democratic as getting rid of early voting and making sure polls close very soon after regular working hours are over.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote"quality", "informed" voter

White voter?

Good man Joe

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 12, 2021, 12:13:32 AM

White voter?

Good man Joe

great job president Trump and operation warp speed .

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2021, 10:21:23 PM
Arizona Republican, John Kavanaugh, reckons "quality" votes are important. Not every should be voting according to him.

I wonder does a "quality", "informed" voter believe all the baseless conspiracy theories the GOP are currently completely invested in, including Trumps stolen election fantasy? Is this hypothetical voter a Trump-before-country voter like so many Republicans?

Its amazing how afraid the GOP are of electoral turnout. All over the US, they're trying to introduce laws even as anti-democratic as getting rid of early voting and making sure polls close very soon after regular working hours are over.

Do you consider ballot harvesting legitimate?

Should the signature on a mail in ballot match the signature that's on file for the voter?

Should a mail in ballot received after Election Day, have a legible postmark?

omochain

Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 01:49:41 AM

Should the signature on a mail in ballot match the signature that's on file for the voter?

All perfectly reasonable. For the rest of the story read on
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/30/republicans-restrict-voting-access-bills

J70

I have no issue with ballot harvesting or collection.

Signature should match, within the normal bounds that signatures match (mine is never exactly the same each time).

Last one - yes.

Now, do you think it's in the interests of democracy to try to reduce hours and days that polling locations are open in a naked attempt to depress participation?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 12, 2021, 01:15:11 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 12, 2021, 12:13:32 AM

White voter?

Good man Joe

great job president Trump and operation warp speed .

Credit to both presidents.

One of the rare things Trump did the right thing with.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 04:04:15 AM

Signature should match, within the normal bounds that signatures match (mine is never exactly the same each time).

Last one - yes.

Now, do you think it's in the interests of democracy to try to reduce hours and days that polling locations are open in a naked attempt to depress participation?

If that's actually what's happening, of course I'm wrong

But the Democrats have been crying wolf on this for so long, at this point it's hard to separate truth from fiction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2020/07/27/the-voter-suppression-myth/amp/

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 07:38:33 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 04:04:15 AM

Last one - yes.

If that's actually what's happening, of course I'm wrong

But the Democrats have been crying wolf on this for so long, at this point it's hard to separate truth from fiction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2020/07/27/the-voter-suppression-myth/amp/

Yes, there are numerous efforts as we speak to make it harder for people to vote, including cutting early voting and cutting election day hours, and limiting access to mail voting, which was never a problem anywhere, including red states, until the great orange turd had his toddler tantrum because he lost. Iowa just passed a bill. Arizona is one of several proposing to make people notarize a f**king mail-in ballot. What is that if not an attempt to suppress participation? I'm sure there are a lot of notaries out there in Navajo reservation and Hispanic communities (and wait till you see - the GOP will be crying fraud and foul if the Dems organize notaries to go around and assist people). Another Arizona bill would allow the state legislature to overturn the decision of the people of the state. Years ago, Republicans would be justifiably railing against such totalitarian conduct.

In Georgia, we have yet another attempt to attack black voters and their "Souls to the Polls' tradition by restricting Sunday voting to one day.

And that's just a taste.

https://thebulwark.com/election-integrity-means-restriction/
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/08/iowa-governor-kim-reynolds-signs-law-shortening-early-voting-closing-polls-earlier-election-day/6869317002/
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-february-2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/10/most-extreme-voting-restrictions-proposed-by-gop/

The most ridiculous thing is, if Trump had won, NONE of this would be happening.

I hope the various Democratic and liberal organizations in these states tie these f**kers up in court for years.

whitey

The issue I see is that Democrats are very quick to cry voter suppression when in  oftentimes the things they are objecting to are identical to laws enacted by Democratic Secretaries of State in other states.

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 02:29:21 PM
The issue I see is that Democrats are very quick to cry voter suppression when in  oftentimes the things they are objecting to are identical to laws enacted by Democratic Secretaries of State in other states.

Well if the Dems are trying to do things like limit early and election day voting and demand notaries for mail-in ballots, fire away and show us where.