Violence in Adult Club Football

Started by Jinxy, September 17, 2018, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your county, has it:

Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

trailer

I agree county boards need to do more, but I wonder are their hands tied? What's the point dishing out suspensions if they know they'll never stick? Rule changes needed, but it's not a shot clock...

RedHand88

Quote from: Minder on October 08, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
I see bbc news NI have sent Colm Parkinson a DM asking to follow so it will be on the news/Nolan show soon I would say

They probably had to Google him to see who he was.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 08, 2018, 04:19:37 PM
Lad hospitalised in Laois yesterday. Lost teeth too. Not an Ulster only problem.

Has Parkinson reported it?

laoislad

Lad hospitalised in Laois yesterday. Lost teeth too. Not an Ulster only problem.
From getting a belt during the game, not from running the length of pitch, hopping over a fence and fighting with spectators.  Hardly the same thing now is it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

RedHand88

Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2018, 08:42:25 PM
From getting a belt during the game, not from running the length of pitch, hopping over a fence and fighting with spectators.  Hardly the same thing now is it.

You're right, the incident in portlaoise was far worse. At least nobody in Down or Derry got seriously hurt.

laoislad

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 08, 2018, 08:48:52 PM

You're right, the incident in portlaoise was far worse. At least nobody in Down or Derry got seriously hurt.
Yeah sure it was. It's great to see players and spectators bate the head of each other. Classy Nordies....

BennyHarp

Try telling that to the player in Down who got his jaw and eye socket broken.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2018, 08:50:04 PM

Yeah sure it was. It's great to see players and spectators bate the head of each other. Classy Nordies....

We all have to weigh in together on this issue as its a country wide problem. Arguing over levels of scumminess on a gaa pitch won't help

charlieTully

One of the most infamous brawls in the history of the game involves your county.

laoislad

Quote from: charlieTully on October 08, 2018, 09:17:20 PM

One of the most infamous brawls in the history of the game involves your county.
When men were men. Was only handbags stuff though when you look back at it.

johnnycool

I know you're on the wind up here but no one is squeaky clean on this one Laoislad as its not that long ago Camross and Castletown ( I think)  were hammering lumps out of each other, a very young Zane Keenan getting a hammering.

Captain Scarlet

Exactly on this we can't go all Theresa May and have a hard fuckin border. It's far from just Ulster.
If two lads are at each other and one lad gets a clean dig in I wouldn't condone it, but they are fully grown men acting like eejits who are toe to toe.
Suckers punches and lads baling in, a one-in all-in type thing is a massively different thing.

Refs are in a bind on this too as in some clubs there is a madness whereby if they law down the law sure they could be gone for.
A fine will hit any club hardest these days so there needs to be a mechanism in place.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trailer

Part of this is a Disciplinary committee issue. With Stewartstown V Strabane the suspensions were exactly the same. I think 7 each. How many times do we see this? If anything this makes a mockery of the process. If someone breaks the rules they should be punished. It shouldn't be based on having even numbers from both protagonists.
Clubs look at this and see it as a  ;) ;) don't do that again now.  ;) ;) we could've been harder on you  ;) ;)

imtommygunn

I firmly believe that in bad cases there should be prosecutions. I have seen a few things over the years, one incident in particular stands out, where boys should have got a criminal record for their antics. Unfortunately in our case some in the club tried and some refused to follow this line as the attitude to police in the north wasn't good at the time. This was about 15 years ago so I would hope it has changed mind.

It's the best way to stop it in my view. I am not sure whether southern clubs would pursue this with the gardai or not mind. It's like the law stops before you go into a GAA ground for some people.

I am not talking for 2 guys digging on or off the ball but when you get boys wading in, punching people in the back of the head and doing things like fracturing eye sockets and broken jaws for boys who are doing nothing but trying to break a fight up. Sometimes people suffer from being unable to work off the back of these things too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2018, 11:05:44 AM
I firmly believe that in bad cases there should be prosecutions. I have seen a few things over the years, one incident in particular stands out, where boys should have got a criminal record for their antics. Unfortunately in our case some in the club tried and some refused to follow this line as the attitude to police in the north wasn't good at the time. This was about 15 years ago so I would hope it has changed mind.

It's the best way to stop it in my view. I am not sure whether southern clubs would pursue this with the gardai or not mind. It's like the law stops before you go into a GAA ground for some people.

I am not talking for 2 guys digging on or off the ball but when you get boys wading in, punching people in the back of the head and doing things like fracturing eye sockets and broken jaws for boys who are doing nothing but trying to break a fight up. Sometimes people suffer from being unable to work off the back of these things too.

Where any lads done by the police when our own Ref was attacked in Ballymena a few years ago? I said it before on here and a gael was against it! Strange one. If you were punched in the side of the head on the street and you knew their names surely you would report it? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea