Dinny's back!!!

Started by DownFanatic, November 03, 2009, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

My residing memory of that match is being well and truly shafted by the referee. We'd to work for everything and wexford didn't have to work quite so hard. Watson was getting the treatment from Dave Guiney who never let go of his jersey all day. Not one free did he have given against him all day.

I'm not bitter though...

imtommygunn

On another note Reillers Corcoran was no doubt top drawer and that can't be denied. I can't remember if it was that year or the following but he gave Noel Hickey an awful roasting in a final. Noel Hickey is a great too.

However... Cork brought a defender out of retirement to play full forward. It kind of says it all about the full forwards in the county at the time. (Since that too as the O'Halpin they played there this year is no way a county hurler...) Bringing Corcoran in there meant they went several more years not trying to develop an up and coming into a full forward and it has cost them longer term.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Reillers on November 05, 2009, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 05, 2009, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: Reillers on November 05, 2009, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 04, 2009, 10:08:38 PM
Dinny wasn't the worst... seems some of the remarks he made at that press conference were tongue in cheek and southern press latched onto them big time. Was an awfuk blemsih on his time in Antrim tho

Tongue and cheek?
Please. Do you remember what he said about Brian Corcoran and Niall Mac.

He said that Cork most be pretty desperate to be bringing Corcoran back. He also then said that Corcoran's finished, and that he'll deffinetly be finished after Sunday..now tell me, after getting crushed by 20 odd points by Cork, and Corocan being an excellent player on that day..what did you think would happen?
That's not really tongue and cheek is it, and after saying something like that, then being beaten like they were, he was always going to get what was coming to him.

His comments about Corcoran were a disgrace at the time and they came back to haunt him. :D
And oh did he get what was coming to him..Destroyed Antrim, 2-26 to 0-10.
And the poor man get an earful from the Cork supporters at half time for it and all.
Brilliant game, Corcoran was magnificent. And we went out in the second half and absolutely destroyed them all over again..oh memories..

In fairness though, him coming back is a good omen for Cork. All we need now is for Babs and Eddie Keher to start mouthing off and we'll be well on our road back.

Just as well Donal Og had'nt come out of the pink closet by then. Dinny wouldn't have missed  :-*

:-\ ....If that's the way you roll..  :)

Is hard to go with your glory Cork memories at the minute after the disgrace of this year's strike and Donal Ogs sleazy appearance on the Late Late show... but Cork was once a great hurling county.... now the image is very distasteful

slow corner back

Most people missed the main point of Dinnys rant that night which was to in reality have a go at the tipp set up and selectors of the time. He said it was a disgrace that Tipps centre back  (Eamon Corcoran I think) had been cleaned out by Niall McCarthy who couldnt hurl to save himself. He then went on say that the centre back wasnt good enough for the Tipp U-21s when he was in charge. Then he slagged off the Tipp full back who could not deal with an old man like Brian corcoran :o. unfortunatly for Antrim the Tipp lads new what he was at and came up to Belfast the next spring and put somewhere between 30 and 40 points on Antrim in a national league match, Eoin Kelly must have scored about 2-20 himself!!

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2009, 08:47:05 PM
On another note Reillers Corcoran was no doubt top drawer and that can't be denied. I can't remember if it was that year or the following but he gave Noel Hickey an awful roasting in a final. Noel Hickey is a great too.

However... Cork brought a defender out of retirement to play full forward. It kind of says it all about the full forwards in the county at the time. (Since that too as the O'Halpin they played there this year is no way a county hurler...) Bringing Corcoran in there meant they went several more years not trying to develop an up and coming into a full forward and it has cost them longer term.

Corcoran wanted to come back, he made the decision to go back playing with his club by himself, nobody was on to him, no one was pushing him, he was the one who got back to the club himself, he was poor at the start, touch was gone, alot of things off. But he put the work in, he was determined, and then O Grady got onto him. Nobody brought anyone out of retired, Corcoran made the decision himself and Corcoran was as good as he's ever been, you couldn't pass that up. And to be fair we had a plan at FF, that was destroyed out of the blue when Santy left. We would have figured something else out if Corcoran hadn't come back, but you can't pass up an oppurtunity to bring back a player like Corcoran. KK would have taken him in a heart beat. To say that it was a move of desperation is a joke, Cork were by far the best team in 04 and argueably Cork at their best then were better then KK at their best now, better to watch anyway.
Make up your mind, first you say we need to bring in young players with potential, and when we do and Walsh gives them a chance it's a mistake, Aisake has great potential, and no one more then him himself knows that the excuse of no touch and such can't be used this year, and for what it's worth, the news on Aisake is that he's improved a lot over the last few months. But we needed to give him a chance, and with Walsh only being with the team for a short while, it was easier to try out Aisake then go look for another player..or so it seems. And Corcoran being there shouldn't have had any impact on developing another FF. Corcoran being back had no impact on developing a new player. We lost a massive part of our future when Santy left in 03, Corcoran being back was a massive boost for us.
Now there are a good few players he can look at, one being Cussen.

I mean it's all great in hindsight, but KK would have snapped up Corcoran in a heartbeat back then, and he was a key figure in why Cork won 2 AI. I mean what were the Cork management supposed to say to him, sorry you're on brilliant form, an excellent player, but we can't have you back because you're too old? FFS like. 
Hindsights a great thing to have, but bringing back a player of Corcoran's ability was the right decision at the time.

imtommygunn

QuoteMake up your mind, first you say we need to bring in young players with potential, and when we do and Walsh gives them a chance it's a mistake, Aisake has great potential

Aisake isn't a great hurler at all. Very poor touch. I don't agree he has great potential. (I don't like castigating anyone putting the effort in by the way I just don't think he's the standard Cork require or even close). I'm not being contradictory there at all.

All I'm saying is that they took an old CHB into FF and it did work so credit on that but to play an old, formerly retired, CHB at FF was obviously a cry for help in there as the younger ones couldn't do it. It is a fair point about Setanta though.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Dinny I hope does well with us. We need better looking after of club games but if we can manage that I hope he does well.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 27, 1978, 09:36:55 PM
QuoteMake up your mind, first you say we need to bring in young players with potential, and when we do and Walsh gives them a chance it's a mistake, Aisake has great potential

Aisake isn't a great hurler at all. Very poor touch. I don't agree he has great potential. (I don't like castigating anyone putting the effort in by the way I just don't think he's the standard Cork require or even close). I'm not being contradictory there at all.

All I'm saying is that they took an old CHB into FF and it did work so credit on that but to play an old, formerly retired, CHB at FF was obviously a cry for help in there as the younger ones couldn't do it. It is a fair point about Setanta though.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Dinny I hope does well with us. We need better looking after of club games but if we can manage that I hope he does well.

He could be though, I mean give the kid a break I'm sure if you stopped playing hurling for 3 odd years you'd loose your touch as well. It'll take him time, and you are contradicting yourself, first you're saying that we shouldn't bring in old players and that we should take a chance on young lads, and then when we bring in young lads, take a chance, we're wasting our time.
We lost Setanta at 20 or whatever age he was when he left, he was our plan for the future there, we were going to develop other players, like any other team would, but out of the blue he just left, so no we didn't have any back up plan, Corcoran had all ready come back in to the game, he was on brilliant form so he came back to IC.
It shouldn't matter at all how old you are, if you can do the job then you can do the job. Not playing a player because he's too old is wrong. Corcoran had no interest. You're making it sound like desperation bringing in a top class player like Corcoran, a player who made it clear to O Grady straight away that he'd no interest in comming back to be put in defence. And O Grady said he wouldn't be and that he would find him a place up front.

Corcoran was a class act, he was there to be brought back, it should never matter how old he was. It usually doesn't matter to most people, but everyone has their issues.

And Corcoran showed his class (ya older players can do that too,) put in a top display in humiliating Dinny and Antrim and played a major role in helping Cork go on to their success.

Were we desperate to replace Santy, the HOTY og? Yes, of course, Was bringing Corcoran back a hint of desperation, deffinetly not?
Were we unprepared, ya, but we were expecting Santy to go on and dominate the hurling scene like he was supposed to, instead he just hoped on the plane and we were left hanging mid air.
We were so fortunate for Corcoran to be available, a player any team would have taken in a heart beat. It wasn't a sense of desperation, it was perfect timing.

Kevin

Don't know if Dinny was in charge at the time, but Antrim played at Gaelic Park in the 'Ulster Champioship'.

I was impressed by how they conducted themselves. Unfortunately by then New York did not have the volume and quality of players to pick a team that could compete.

They were fit and ready that day.

Hopefully Dinny can do the same this time around. Would be nice to see them get a breakout win or 2 in the near future.

Donagh

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 03, 2009, 02:29:40 PM
Dinny Cahill is the new Antrim Hurling manager according to the BBC

Good man Dinny. I take it we can expect Antrim to win the AI before 2013?

Minder

Quote from: Kevin on November 16, 2009, 11:43:17 PM
Don't know if Dinny was in charge at the time, but Antrim played at Gaelic Park in the 'Ulster Champioship'.

I was impressed by how they conducted themselves. Unfortunately by then New York did not have the volume and quality of players to pick a team that could compete.

Hopefully Dinny can do the same this time around. Would be nice to see them get a breakout win or 2 in the near future.

That was under Jingos watch, two of my clubmates were kicked off the panel and made their own way home on that trip. "Tired and emotional" was the official line i believe :P
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Kevin

Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2009, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: Kevin on November 16, 2009, 11:43:17 PM

That was under Jingos watch, two of my clubmates were kicked off the panel and made their own way home on that trip. "Tired and emotional" was the official line i believe :P

Own way home. Good God!

Only saw them coming into the game, during and short time after. Too bad thngs were such a mess. Hpoe they have a good 2010.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Reillers on November 05, 2009, 11:46:30 PM

And Corcoran showed his class (ya older players can do that too,) put in a top display in humiliating Dinny and Antrim and played a major role in helping Cork go on to their success.

With all due respect humiliating Antrim is nothing new and is not some kind of significant achievement. In Dinny Cahill's defence at least he tried  his best to spread the Hurling gospel. It couldn't have been easy the commitment involved leaving his work and family in 400 odd mile return trips to the betterment of Antrim Hurling.

I will take it this statement you made was an oversight however though as a Hurling man first you shouldn't take any great satisfaction seeing the best team in the Northern half of the Country getting emptied the way Antrim dose. The day Donegal play Longford in an All-Ireland Hurling final is what we as Hurling men want to see. If you understand where I'm coming from.