Another great weekend for Kerry Hurling

Started by Kerry Mike, August 24, 2009, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

I don't start many Kerry hurling threads but this deserves one.

The Kerry Minor Hurling team have won the ESB GAA Hurling All Ireland Minor 'B' Championship Final with a score of Kerry 0-21 to Westmeath 1-13 over the weekend. 

The Minor Hurlers have prepared exceptionally well all year taking part in competitions in Cork through the winter and the non exam minor league in mid summer. Causeway winning a senior schools title this year is a big boast too.

And the U21 won their B Semi final too over the weekend beating Kildare in Cloughjordan with a score of 2-10  to 0-15.

I know its of little relevance in the greater hurling world, but well done to all involved and a great achievement by both teams, hopefully the work that is going on underage in development of hurling in the county will pay dividends in future years and see a strengthening of our senior panel who have to start making the winning of the Christy Ring a priority and then getting into the top level in the National League and back playing in the top level of the Munster championship.

Well done again and hopefully the U21 can add another hurling title to finish off a great year.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Lecale2

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

milltown row

Congrats on the hurling success.

Kerry has always had the ability to be good at hurling. overshadowed by the big ball game of course, but with it's closeness to the hurling super powers it has not made use of them enough. good to hear they have been winning and competing in Cork competitions also.

this is why Antrim needs to ensure that it plays in the Lenister competitions at all levels. under 12 up. no reason with the road system in place now, Antrim can make Dublin in less than two hours. 

only by playing top level teams can the weaker counties improve. With steady competitions and top level coaches training the kids can make the improvements we all want to see

Kerry Mike

A unique All Ireland double in Hurling for the Kingdom, well done again to all involved.

KERRY WIN U-21 'B' HURLING TITLE

Saturday, 12 September 2009

Kerry 2-18 Roscommon 1-15

Goals from Shane Nolan and substitute Thomas Moloney  in the final ten minutes ensured Kerry were crowned All-Ireland Under-21 'B' Hurling champions at a sunny Cusack Park in Ennis this afternoon. Roscommon burst out of the blocks in the opening stages and claimed a goal lead
after just two minutes, when a David Dolan sideline cut was doubled on and slotted to the net by John Coyne. However, Kerry had completelyturned the game around by the interval. They were aided by an excellent display of point-scoring from Dara O'Connell and James Flaherty to take a 0-11 to 1-3 lead.

Roscommon made a great start to the second half, scoring eight of the next nine points to give themselves a 1-11 to 0-12 lead. Niall Kilroy scored four points in the third quarter. The eventual winners kept plugging away and with O'Connell very much on song and Shane Nolan and
Thomas Moloney bagging late goals, Kerry prevailed by six points.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Donnellys Hollow

Have a cousin from Abbeydorney on that team. Well done to all concerned!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

slow corner back

Well done to the kingdom, it would be nice to see Kery put a bit of push into hurling, a Christy Ring is a very achievable goal.

longrunsthefox

I met a couple of Kerry boys at the Munster hurling final weren't into the football at all. Was strange tho refreshing. Is lads like that in Tyrone, believe or not, passion first and last is hurling and give all to it. The Fox ain't one of them tho, I'm ashamed to say   

milltown row

certain pockets in Kerry are hurling mad. Galvin is a cracking hurler by all accounts. but sure when your winning all irelands at football......

Kerry Mike

Paul Galvin won both Football and Hurling Senior medals in the county the same year 2 years ago which is a fairly unique thing in Kerry, football with Feale Rangers and Hurling with Lixnaw , he is supposed to be a fine hurler but as you say football takes priority.

There are a handful of clubs where it hurling only in the county, and fair play to them for keeping it alive, me I'm a South Kerry man (the land of the Mickos, Jacko, Egan, Maurice and Declan to name but a few) and all we use a hurl for is driving the cattle.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

theskull1

Would the blue pipe not be the cheaper & better option KM or is it worth it to debase the "other code" by hitting cows arses with a good hurl?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on September 15, 2009, 08:56:09 AM
Would the blue pipe not be the cheaper & better option KM or is it worth it to debase the "other code" by hitting cows arses with a good hurl?

Takes all kinds I suppose.