Has the gap to Kilkenny narrowed?

Started by lilpaulie85, September 08, 2009, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have tipp proved the gap is closing?

Yes but only tipp have the team
Ha,ha your joking kilkenny have another gear
yes there are a couple of teams not far off
kilkenny still just out of reach, (but not by much)

lilpaulie85

I think maybe Kilkenny hit the peak of their powers in the 2008 final, and now the games under their belt are starting to tell. I think there are a few teams capable of beating them on the day but what does everyone else think?
Chase the dream not the competition.

INDIANA

Tipp and galway are capable of beating them next season. Don't think anyone else is. But I think one of those two will beat them at some stage next year. But it could happen in the leinster championship which wouldn't overly bother the cats.

lilpaulie85

I still think Waterford have the ability to upset K.K. or Tipp, They put 2008 behind them this year and will be looking to improve again next year. They missed alot of chances against Tipp in the munster final last year and but for that could have been in that match sunday.

Reillers

Quote from: lilpaulie85 on September 08, 2009, 05:09:47 PM
I think maybe Kilkenny hit the peak of their powers in the 2008 final, and now the games under their belt are starting to tell. I think there are a few teams capable of beating them on the day but what does everyone else think?

I agree and I've been saying it for a while as well. Kilkenny's preformance in 08 final, was the closest thing I've seen to perfection on a hurling pitch. It's only expected that they'll go down hill after that.
TIpp are right up there, so will Galway, in time, a season or two I hope Cork will be as well, hopefully with full preseasons behind them.
But the gap is closing, slowly but surely.

EddieMerx

Just out of reach I think, with a fit Hickey and Cha back next year, Hogan having another year to develop and TJ Reid probably getting a 1st team place I just think they will be take the 5 in a row. 2011 however could be the year to catch them as a few players may call it a day.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 08, 2009, 06:47:08 PM
Just out of reach I think, with a fit Hickey and Cha back next year, Hogan having another year to develop and TJ Reid probably getting a 1st team place I just think they will be take the 5 in a row. 2011 however could be the year to catch them as a few players may call it a day.

cant see too many retiring with five in a row to aim for

nutsy--1

Kilkenny at the moment are a special team all most teams can do is admire them. But maybe next season they'l have an off day and tipp are galway could take. Every Great Team Is Beatable

imtommygunn

The gap between Tipp and Kilkenny is narrowing. I wouldn't be so sure about the gap between the rest of them though. Galway are still all potential so I wouldn't get too carried away just yet.

A lot of people seem to think that because Tipp ran them close and probably should have beat them that Kilkenny are on the downward. A wee bit more credit needs to be given to Tipp being on the upward.

Kilkenny started this year with no team anywhere near in sight of beating them. That is bound to affect motivation. Next year they know Tipp will be out to get them and I have a feeling they'll be more motivated.

TJ Reid and Hogan will improve and they have plenty of others to come in too. Tipp will need to develop a stronger panel to beat them and they'll be needing much more from their HF line. (CHF excluded probably but the two wing guys need to do a lot more).

Tipp only made 2 subs on sunday. While things were going right that may also point to not having as much depth as KK.

slow corner back

The great Kerry football team of the seventies was ambushed by a push in the back while going for 5 in a row, it is an amazingly difficult thing to do ( to state the obvious ). I think KK caught a break with the dodgy penalty last Sunday, they may have won anyway we will never know, however Karma being what it is I expect them to be on the wrong end of a refereeing decision next year, Tommy Walsh unfair red card? goal disallowed? something contreversial and them to loose to somewhere along the way, Imay well be wrong but I just have that suspicion, I wonder what the odds are on a Galway Tipp final next year?

longrunsthefox

While the four in a row is an incredible achivevement, Tipp were the better team last week. So, yeah the gap has closed.   

Guillem2

It's closed alright but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kilkeeny kick on again next year to pull further ahead.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Premier Emperor

Tipp have much better younger talent on their team.
Eddie Brennan, Shefflin and Kavanagh will all be retiring soon.

Kevin

Quote from: slow corner back on September 10, 2009, 10:29:57 PM
The great Kerry football team of the seventies was ambushed by a push in the back while going for 5 in a row, it is an amazingly difficult thing to do ( to state the obvious ). I think KK caught a break with the dodgy penalty last Sunday, they may have won anyway we will never know, however Karma being what it is I expect them to be on the wrong end of a refereeing decision next year, Tommy Walsh unfair red card? goal disallowed? something contreversial and them to loose to somewhere along the way, Imay well be wrong but I just have that suspicion, I wonder what the odds are on a Galway Tipp final next year?

Kerry lost because they failed to bury a penalty and then proceeded to kick a series of scoreable wides in the last 20 minutes that would have put the game beyond doubt. Kerry got tentative and basically stopped being Kerry against a group who expected to win (even if they were the only ones who did). Breaks are a fact of life and I agree that these things have a way of evening out over time. Kilkenny will lose eventually. The gap is closing and like you say, anything can get in the way to derail any team.

orangeman

Are KK gone ?? Or are KK not taking the league seriously ?

3 losses in 5 NHL games - not like them.

Minder

Quote from: orangeman on March 28, 2010, 08:40:44 PM
Are KK gone ?? Or are KK not taking the league seriously ?

3 losses in 5 NHL games - not like them.

Minus the Ballyhale contingent until today. I haven't seen any sign that anyone will beat them this year when they have everyone back.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"