Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Caught most of the minor game yesterday, sounds like preparations cant have been easy but a poor enough showing all the same.
In reply to Belfast GAA man, Hugh McGettigan is the U20 manager the u20s have already commenced I believe.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: EOC1923 on December 21, 2020, 08:00:11 AM
Caught most of the minor game yesterday, sounds like preparations cant have been easy but a poor enough showing all the same.
In reply to Belfast GAA man, Hugh McGettigan is the U20 manager the u20s have already commenced I believe.
Thanks - It's too early for Gaelfast to affect minor football yesterday but fingers crossed it gives us something to Cheer for soon

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 21, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
Thanks - It's too early for Gaelfast to affect minor football yesterday but fingers crossed it gives us something to Cheer for soon

Gaelfast is in primary schools, P1 up, that's 12/13 years away.. lets hope we can compete at minor, but we won't unless our schools start performing at Mcrory cup level..

I hope we get to that level, but I doubt we have enough time or money from this to actually achieve what the likes of Dublin did during their push for city GAA
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Were all the best players there or asked to play?

Belfast GAA man

where there u20 trials recently? do We have any who would be in senior set up?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 21, 2020, 01:53:34 PM
Were all the best players there or asked to play?

How do you judge that?  Is it your view on the best players or the managers/selectors?

I'd say this year at county juvenile level everything was haphazard due to the on off approach by the ulster gaa and beyond, no time was spent with these lads to actually prepare them right, I'd say a lot of players were overlooked or not available
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 01:51:24 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 21, 2020, 01:38:18 PM

Gaelfast is in primary schools, P1 up, that's 12/13 years away.. lets hope we can compete at minor, but we won't unless our schools start performing at Mcrory cup level..

I hope we get to that level, but I doubt we have enough time or money from this to actually achieve what the likes of Dublin did during their push for city GAA

Do any Antrim schools play in the MacRory nowadays?

imtommygunn

I don't think so. St Mary's did for a while but dropped down. Were St. Louis in the mclarnon final the other year?

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 23, 2020, 07:55:50 PM
I don't think so. St Mary's did for a while but dropped down. Were St. Louis in the mclarnon final the other year?

Unreal that Antrim don't have one team in the MacRory Cup, when you think Newry has 2, Enniskillen has one etc.  I don't think Derry City has a full school in it either, which is disappointing.

Are St. Mary's Belfast in the Mc Larnon nowadays?

imtommygunn

I wouldn't say so hs. We got to an Ulster final during st galls dominant period which they had a lot to do with. Big leap from McRory to senior county but playing at that level a big help to young boys and a good platform for university for them where they can get exposed to higher standards.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2020, 08:43:57 PM
I suppose it would be nice to have an Antrim school competing at the top level of colleges football but for me, just like having a very competitive club team in the county, it would probably have zero impact on the fortunes of our county teams.

Seriously?

Have you watch any top level college football lately?

The conditioning of those lads at 18 is on a par to the Methody lads or Inst!

Ref'd and did the line few times and was really impressed with the step up

If one or two lads could feed through from that to minor Under 20 and senior we'd be doing a lot better

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2020, 09:17:15 PM
Seriously, yeah. I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference to our senior county setup. An Antrim school competed for years in the MacRory Cup and we were still shite. Indeed, the last time an Antrim school won the MacRory Cup, it was another 15 campaigns before we won an Ulster championship match.
We have been the whipping boys for the best part of 50 years, with & without our schools competing at the top level of colleges football. So, while it would be nice to have, our problem is most certainly elsewhere IMO.

True enough but still no MacRory team in Antrim is a signal that things need a good shake up, especially with the population etc. Every other county in Ulster has at least 1 team in it, with asmaller population.

Is the talent just not their or is it the schools/teachers that have no interest?

imtommygunn

While an Antrim team was in it were they really competing? We're they not taking hammering?

You have a point but it wouldn't do any harm.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 23, 2020, 09:56:47 PM
While an Antrim team was in it were they really competing? We're they not taking hammering?

You have a point but it wouldn't do any harm.

Yeah, it definately wouldn't do any harm - at least 1 school. In comparsion, they usually have 3 teams in the Mageean, for a smaller area.

imtommygunn

Yeah. More of the county plays hurling plus relatively speaking we are the strongest county in it though. Sadly the opposite in the football!