Munster Football Championship 2020

Started by Ball Hopper, October 27, 2020, 07:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2020, 06:56:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 08, 2020, 06:24:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 08, 2020, 06:21:14 PM
As with Monaghan v Cavan, I'm delighted to see that result. When a team has clearly better footballers but chooses to go full attrition, they deserve to be beaten. It's better for the game of football.

—-

On another note, David Moran in the final ET period. Kicking it as far as he could every time. It was like he took a bang to the head and woke up in the 1960s.

Team with better players won that game lad, 2 years in a row.
See Wobbler, when you try and complement Cavan, you're greeted with condescension (lad) and a contrary opinion.

Now now, back into our shadow like a good lad ;)

macdanger2

Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 07:27:35 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 07:23:01 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 06:41:05 PM
Dublin will be happy tonight

It's 2009 since Kerry last beat Dublin in the Championship, I don't think it will make much difference to them.

Did you miss the all Ireland final last year where kerry came within a whisker of beating Dublin?

The first one where Dublin played most of the game a man down? Or the second one where Kerry were soundly beaten by 6 points?

Yes, the one where kerry missed a penalty. Tell me this, when was the last time a team came closer to knocking Dublin out of the championship?

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2020, 06:29:26 PM
Brilliant stuff!! Said to a mate 12/1 the draw looks good

Like you have mates.

balladmaker

Some great games in this straight knock out championship, no second chances, we've definitely missed that drama since the backdoor came in.  Well done Cork.

Nanderson

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 07:51:14 PM

It's 2009 since Kerry last beat Dublin in the Championship, I don't think it will make much difference to them.

Did you miss the all Ireland final last year where kerry came within a whisker of beating Dublin?

The first one where Dublin played most of the game a man down? Or the second one where Kerry were soundly beaten by 6 points?

Yes, the one where kerry missed a penalty. Tell me this, when was the last time a team came closer to knocking Dublin out of the championship?
2016 and 2017 when Dublin beat Mayo by a point in replay in 2016 final and by a point in 2017 final

From the Bunker

Close but not good enough! Kerry were not good enough. Mayo and Kerry have ran the post-2012 Dublin close on heaps of occasions. Donegal caught them on the hop in 2014. But it has been a procession since. Dublin would never have got caught in a game like the one Kerry got caught in this evening.

Dublin's chances of winning Sam have improved, but they were always favourites. Mayo, Donegal and maybe Galway will be bandied about. But they like all the rest are making up the numbers.

macdanger2

Quote from: Nanderson on November 08, 2020, 08:03:20 PM

2016 and 2017 when Dublin beat Mayo by a point in replay in 2016 final and by a point in 2017 final

I know!! Kerry 2019 had their faults (Tyrone should have beaten them for one thing) but the fact remains that they're the team who got closest to Dublin in the last 3 years and were probably best placed to challenge this year.

Donegal the next closest I'd say. Mayo or Galway both have two many questions imo

Milltown Row2

Why are people worried about other teams beating Dublin? Raise your standards and the rest will follow! Waiting on a team to underperform is madness. Kerry turned up thinking job done! Dublin turn up and beat teams from the start.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

greatpoint

As someone else has pointed out, Mayo 2017 & 2016. They came considerably closer and even did it without being a man up for most of the game.

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 08:12:08 PM
I know!! Kerry 2019 had their faults (Tyrone should have beaten them for one thing) but the fact remains that they're the team who got closest to Dublin in the last 3 years and were probably best placed to challenge this year.

Donegal the next closest I'd say. Mayo or Galway both have two many questions imo

How is that a fact? Mayo were closer in 2017 than Kerry were in 2019. The scoreboard doesn't lie.

Eire90

The championship is not about the final you win all ireland by winning the tournament not just final.

Sportacus

You can't beat knockout football.
Score that goal in a normal year and no one will remember because Kerry will come through the back door. Score it in knockout format and it's a memory for decades. Time for change.
These division three teams aren't too shabby either. B Championship me arse.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on November 08, 2020, 08:28:28 PM
Score that goal in a normal year and no one will remember because Kerry will come through the back door. Score it in knockout format and it's a memory for decades. Time for change.

Nothing beats a game like the one the other night, Dublin v Westmeath 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2020, 08:30:39 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on November 08, 2020, 08:28:28 PM

Nothing beats a game like the one the other night, Dublin v Westmeath
Dublin are a freak. You can come up with a hundred formats and they still win. My point is knockout is where the passion is. It's what the GAA is about. I didn't say every game would be a classic.

chrissears

Fair play to Cork but how did they win that game? They were so reluctant to go forward, pass sideways and back nobody wanted to take responsibility to take on the score. I still don't know if it was luck or judgement to lob in the high ball with seconds left, were they going for goal or trying for a point to go for penalties? Makes it very interesting now

clarshack

Quote from: chrissears on November 08, 2020, 08:51:15 PM
Fair play to Cork but how did they win that game? They were so reluctant to go forward, pass sideways and back nobody wanted to take responsibility to take on the score. I still don't know if it was luck or judgement to lob in the high ball with seconds left, were they going for goal or trying for a point to go for penalties? Makes it very interesting now

The goal was a fluke but nobody outside Kerry will be complaining.