They gave their lives for freedom with Thomas McElwee

Michael Devine from Derry you were the last to die
With your nine brave companions, with the martyred dead you lie
Your souls cry out "Remember, our deaths are not in vain
Fight on and make our homeland a nation once again"

mouview

More jingoistic nonsense.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/scottish-decision-will-recast-irish-uk-links-1.1692227

In Northern Ireland, Scottish independence would be a traumatic jolt to the political identity of the Democratic Unionist Party especially, which shares so much historically and culturally with Scottish Presbyterianism and loyalism. The distinct Ulster British strand of unionism would be equally traumatised by the consequent weakening of the UK and the likely fillip they assume this would give to Sinn Féin's agenda – although that party has been curiously slow to understand or articulate precisely how an independent Scotland might hasten debate on a united Ireland.

Official Ireland is not ready for this debate, but it would be unavoidable. And should the rest of the UK begin to unravel after losing Scotland, it would raise huge questions over how sustainable are the large existing UK transfers to Northern Ireland.

magpie seanie

I'm not that well read on this so correct me if I'm worng but I reckon Scotland will vote for independence by a resounding majority. The attempts of the "establishment" for want of a better word to stop it are actually having clearly the opposite effect. Keystone cops stuff.

armaghniac

QuoteAnd should the rest of the UK begin to unravel after losing Scotland, it would raise huge questions over how sustainable are the large existing UK transfers to Northern Ireland.

I don't think the Scots will vote yes in sufficient numbers, but in substantial numbers none the less. Various forms of the Max Devolution and the corresponding Mid Lothian question will come into play which can only draw attention to the financial arrangements in the UK and the amount of dole NI gets.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2014, 10:31:40 PM
I'm not that well read on this so correct me if I'm worng but I reckon Scotland will vote for independence by a resounding majority. The attempts of the "establishment" for want of a better word to stop it are actually having clearly the opposite effect. Keystone cops stuff.
On what basis are you reckoning? Seems like wishful thinking.

Syferus

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 16, 2014, 12:43:54 AM

Sure everything points to an easy win for the No side. Scotland will fall in line, predictably.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Feckitt on February 15, 2014, 03:34:30 PM
http://news.stv.tv/west-central/264001-irish-rebel-song-roll-of-honour-hits-24-in-uk-top-40-singles-chart/

Currently No.24 in the UK singles charts.
I wouldn't ordinarily be a fan of this kind of pro IRA nonsense, but if it annoys Gregory Campbell it has to be A Good Thing. Download it now.

T Fearon

As a Celtic supporter I have to say the club doesn't need this and the manager certainly doesn't need this, at this time.I understand the fans frustrations with the Football Bill etc but there are better ways to address it.Politics needs to be kept out of it.

armaghniac

Take note of the day, I actually agree with both of the previous posters!

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on February 16, 2014, 11:15:07 AM
Even though they're essentially disagreeing with each other?

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 16, 2014, 11:51:29 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 16, 2014, 11:15:07 AM
Even though they're essentially disagreeing with each other?

It pisses off Gregory Campbell, it doesn't really do Celtic any good, who disagrees with these propositions?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 16, 2014, 12:43:54 AM
A majority of Scots are happy to be England's lapdog.
The opinion polls bear this out.

T Fearon

On the contrary it fills Campbell and his ilk with glee as it allows him to link the club with this and ask them what they propose to do, and to condemn it and if the club doesn't then according to him the club must condone it.Win win for Campbell and Celtic FC placed in an impossible situation >:(