St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

baoithe

That's a huge win for Farnans this weekend. That team have bottled games hitherto against a Pats team who are, in fairness, inferior to Farnans in terms of footballing ability. We've all been recently reminded of the importance of self belief. It'll be interesting to see what these lads can do now.

As an aside, due to work commitments I have not had much opportunity to comment on the amazing experience that was the Connacht final. The analyses have been done to death so I won't be contributing much more to that debate. However, I am a little irked at the language employed by the pundits in the national media to explain Sligo's victory. The general consensus seems to be that the Connacht final was won by a 'hungrier' team who were 'courageous' or 'brave' and who 'raised' their game for the occasion.
Firstly, I will concede that we may not have the best footballers in the country but we have some damn fine ones and our current central diamond - as we all predicted before the league when we saw the panel - will compete with the best of them. Our defence are athletic, skilled footballers and an amazingly well organised machine. That said, I was worried about Jonny Daveys defending last Sunday but thankfully Peter Fords tactical nous saw him move Joyce in the corner on a classy corner back who ate him. Far from raising their game I think that last Sunday was the first championship game in recent years where a Sligo team in defensive terms have gone out and done their job for the entire 70 minutes. Even the 'big' victories in Croke Park were patchy  - we were 7 points down to Tyrone. Against Roscommon we were 6 points down at one stage whilst enjoying the lions share of possession.
To be honest I do not think the crazy situation we had with free kicks in the second half will happen again. I think each of those kickers had to cope with the stress of the moment magnified exponentially by knowing we were within touching distance of ending 32 years of anguish. That said, as I watched Sean Davey step up two possible outcomes sprang to mind: one was that he'd score and the other was to the contrary with the ball landing somewhere between Collooney and Templeboy! He narrowly missed but you get my drift.
For the next day the forwards have to be more clinical. I know that this team are drilled to hold onto possession for as long as it takes for an opening to present itself but the problem is that there were openings presenting themselves last week and yet time and again the man in possession looked to offload. From a defensive point of view its just a matter of playing to their potential for the entire 70 minutes. This nonsense of over achieving is pure and utter shite. The fact is that whilst the team is not laced with individual stars, collectively their work ethic and (hopefully)belief garnered from a Connacht title will make them a match for most.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Teeling Gael on July 16, 2007, 03:07:27 PM
OMS in particuliar : Do you know the fixtures for round 2 of the championship (who's playing who) ???
We're knocking Mullinabreena out in Round 2 (hopefully!). Mary's then in Round 3. McHugh was said to have had a 'mare on Newton, it was actually 3-7 to 1-11 too, not what was stated earlier, nonetheless a huge blow to C/MB and Michael's could land a bigger blow yet. Failed to mention that the JPF got their campaign off to its usual start.

Supposedly Drumcliffe's second team have pulled out of the IFC. This means Farnan's win gives them top spot, and Pat's go through by virtue of losing their only game! Stupid that they even entered if that's what was going to happen. At least we know that this year's Junior Champions won't be following that lead.

Also the Bunnies defeat leaves a great opportunity for Calry or the Group C winners to make a rare foray to the last four. Wouldn't be a new thing for Easkey, but no guarantee it will be them either. Either way Harps/Group B RU will win that one if it goes to form. About time Harps put all into the Senior team, the Intermediate team will keep going anyway.

magpie seanie

I don't think its a case of Harps not putting it all into the senior team - just they have a large number of players of similar ability. Having to decide well in advance who will be with which squad leaves them hostages to form of players at a given time.

Owenmoresider

Fair enough, but their Intermediate team has been strong for some time now, and a few of those players certainly appeared capable of getting into the senior team, which hasn't really changed in the last few years, and could do with a shake-up IMO. Fell to Coolera (twice) and Bunninadden in recent years, and were lethargic in doing so (except the second half in '05), particularly in last year's semi. The players moving up are (AFAIK), Danny Grady, Raffertys X2, Cryans X2, Candon and someone else whose name escapes me. As you can see that makes a big change to the Intermediate team's prospects. Will have to wait for the Champion to see just what they lined out in each game though.

Teeling Gael

Thats very frustrating with Drumcliff intermediates. Presumably after last years fiasco with Easkey this means Drumcliff are automatically relegated ?? At least Farnans and Pats would make the 1/4 finals regardless of their group . What if the group included the likes of Ballisodare ??

Whats the story with relegation out of senior and intermediate this year ? How many teams are going down ?

Surprised that Mc Hugh struggled so much with Newton. You would imagine he was nearly the perfect fullback for marking Newton. Confidence must be very low at the moment and the match this weekend against Michaels is vital. I wonder if the county panelists ( as opposed to team) willl be available this weekend ?? 

magpie seanie

When Drumcliff beat us (our 3rd team!) in the North Division junior final last year it was virtually their senior team. I knew this would happen when they got into the intermediate championship. Lets just say I'd be a tad more annoyed if we hadn't won the JFC recently.

OMS - those lads going up will mean they are screwed for the IFC. All good footballers. Had the "pleasure" of a roasting from one of the Rafferty's a few weeks ago and not that I'm any great barometer but the lad defo will cause trouble to senior defences. Imagine him being introduced for the last fifteeen and just running, running, running...He'd break anyones heart.

Relegation - I think 2 go down from SFC and 3 go from IFC. I did some quick maths on it and I think that means a huge cull in 2008 (or was the restructuring period extended?). I thought 5 relegated from IFC but maybe its 6? I expect OMS has the correct figures.

Stagmeister

16-07-2007 
9.25pm

sligogaa.ie can confirm that Sligo will play their quarter final match in Croke Park at 2pm on Saturday 4th of August.

We cannot meet Galway again at this stage per the official rule book.

[Riail 120 T.O. 2007 Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 3, subject to the respective Provincial Champions not meeting the defeated Finalists from their own Province in this Round, a draw shall be made to determine the pairings.]

The Draw for the Quarter-Finals will take place on 29th July 2007.

Nice to see the game confirmed for Croke Park...
Suppose it doesn't really matter who we get at this stage of the competition but I'd like to see us get a crack at Donegal if they can get through the last round of qualifiers...

magpie seanie

League again this weekend. Tomorrow night we travel to Dromard to attempt to keep our chances of survival in Div 2A mathematically alive. With seniors being held for the day after and minors being held for the league final on Monday this is a real test of our depth but I think we will actually have a decent team out. Don't be surprised if we put it up to them or even sneak it. I'm sure the Owenmore Gaels contingent on here would cheer such a result.

Seniors v. John's will be interesting too. They are worse hit by county so I think we have a good chance of sealing our promotion at home on Sunday.

First ever senior hurling championship tie for our club on Sunday. Will have it all to do against long time kingpins Tubbercurry but in itself it is a milestone.

Teeling Gael

Any help in beating Pats would be greatly appreciated Seanie. And while ye are at , when is your back game against Coolaney fixed  ;) ?? Think Johns may be relatively difficult to beat this weekend  as they are in a relegation dogfight and the the lose of their manager recently seems to have woken them up to that fact. This weekend potentially will see Harps 2nd team ( a misnomer) , Coolera , Cloonacool , Curry 2nd team promoted and Marys relegated. Genuinely dont think Harps were up to anything in the grading of players but funny to see their senior championship midfield last weekend both being 2nd team players !!

Delighted also to see that we are starting to give hurling some much warranted comments. To me the arrival of Coolera and western Gaels into this years championship is a tremondous boost irrespective of how they get on and also the openness of this years championship can only be good for Sligo hurling.

magpie seanie

Quotewhen is your back game against Coolaney fixed

Game was never originally fixed. No word on when it will be played. No doubt if its of any consequence to us it'll be played on the weekend of a SFC match. All I hope is that its a meaningful game. In that case we'll play it any time.

Harps missing the two Taylors was a huge blow for them and they had to find the bodies elsewhere. What now for the dropped players?

Davitt Man

Owenmoresider

Sligo Park Hotel - League Division 1A

Round No. 12

Ballymote                    0-11          Bunninadden                       0-5

Castleconnor                0-9           Eastern Harps                       0-15

Easkey                       0-12          Tourlestrane                        2-7

St Marys                     1-8           Curry                                 2-9

EJ Menswear - League Division 1B

Round No. 12

Calry/St Josephs           1-12          Drumcliffe Rosses Pt              1-9

Coolera/Strandhill         0-7           St Johns                             0-7

Enniscrone                  1-7           Tubbercurry                         1-9

Shamrock Gaels            2-4           St Farnans                           0-12

Leonard Building Supplies - League Division 2A

Round No. 12

Coolaney/Mullinabreena  0-9           St Michaels                          0-12

Owenmore Gaels           0-3           St Molaise Gaels                    3-12

St Patricks                   1-16          Coolera/Strandhill                 1-6

Murphy & Sons Auctioneers - League Division 2B

Round No. 12

Calry/St Josephs           0-8           Cloonacool                           2-14

magpie seanie

Mary's relegated for the first time. Ourselves and Tubber going back up to replace them and one other. John's point against us keeps their survival hopes alive and to be honest if they played all year like they did in the last couple of weeks they wouldn't be in any bother at all. Our second team's relegation is confirmed after a terribly disappointing display against St. Pats. Had a decent team out but bar 10 minutes in the second half never raised a gallop. Got it back to 3 at one stage but missed a host of chances and then conceded a messy goal and had a man sent off. Game over.

Teeling Gael

We were totally inept on Saturday night ourselves and had a performance level back to where we were 4 years ago. Fortunately Michaels bet Coolaney and I think Geevagh beating Harps was also a good result for us. If we can match Coolaney against Coolera then they have to beat Geevagh or Harps to force a playoff. Of course a win against Pats next Saturday would put relegation to bed as well. Johns might have left it too late in 2A to survive though Farnans win also means a couple of teams that looked safe previously are now slightly anxious. Bunninadden could yet find themselves in trouble in 1A though Castleconnor are still favourites for relegation. Like Coolera 2 years ago , relegation in itself may not be the end of the world for Marys and it gives them a chance to put a winning run together in 2008.

magpie seanie

QuoteLike Coolera 2 years ago , relegation in itself may not be the end of the world for Marys and it gives them a chance to put a winning run together in 2008.

The more I think about it relegation might actually be great for St. Mary's. Over the next few years they have underage talent to bring in and it always helps if a lad is coming into a winning team.