Gumshield / Mouth Guards

Started by Christmas Lights, January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Kept the gumshield in the sock for the whole game last week  8)

Hoping to do the same tomorrow  ;D

Tried to wear it but it was making me gag so I just put it in the sock.  Anyone having any difficulites addopting to gumshields if you have never worn one previously? 

Stall the Bailer

Trying wearing it at training to get used to it. Even it is only for a warm up or a jog.

INDIANA

Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 18, 2014, 10:44:44 AM

Tried to wear it but it was making me gag so I just put it in the sock.  Anyone having any difficulites addopting to gumshields if you have never worn one previously?

very few wearing them. Saw a club game recently in dublin and I reckon 20 lads weren't wearing them

supersarsfields

Just stick a slice of orange in at the start of the game.

grounded

Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 18, 2014, 10:44:44 AM

Was the guard made by a dentist or a pre fabricated boil in hot water type? In my experience those guards made by dentists/dental lab tend to have a superior fit and are therefore easier to wear as they tend not to move around after fitting initially. A poorly fitting guard will tend to move around the mouth restricting airflow when breathing as well as being uncomfortable to wear.  The guard should also be rinsed before and after use and stored in a hard container so as not to be deformed as this would affect the fit. I would also periodically leave in a mild disinfectant 1-2 hours. Like some of the other posters stated try wearing the guard at home/training to get used to it. During a match if you are really struggling for breath, take the guard out during a break in the match to fill the lungs.

Under Lights

Haven't wore it yet in the first two games. f**k the system.

Denn Forever

Is this role supposed to  be in force yet (not obvious in  the Down/Derry  match)?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fuzzman

Was watching the Kerry v Tipp game yesterday and saw a sub coming on and right away he tucked his gumshield into his socks. Have noticed a lot of players don't seem to be wearing them at intercounty level.

Have the refs relaxed this rule or just not noticing?
At club level is it being adhered to?

johnneycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2016, 03:37:28 PM
Was watching the Kerry v Tipp game yesterday and saw a sub coming on and right away he tucked his gumshield into his socks. Have noticed a lot of players don't seem to be wearing them at intercounty level.

Well if they get the teeth bucked out of them I presume they're not insured and will have to pick up the tab..

Maybe the GPA should put out a directive to their members on this.

twohands!!!

Quote from: johnneycool on July 04, 2016, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2016, 03:37:28 PM

Well if they get the teeth bucked out of them I presume they're not insured and will have to pick up the tab..

Maybe the GPA should put out a directive to their members on this.

Have a cousin a dentist and I had the 2 nephews in getting mouthguards a few months back  and she was telling me about a lad who had come in with a mouth injury from a game - he was asking her what to put down on the insurance form, she helped him out in how to word it but she said she'd be very surprised if he managed to get the GAA insurance to cover it because it was something that wouldn't have happened if he'd been wearing a gumshield. Must ask her if she heard back what happened in the end.

She said the number of GAA mouth injuries are definitely down from before it was made compulsory.

At club level I think it varies hugely depending on the ref - I have seen refs warn players at the start of a game and I have seen a card given (that was a short while after it came it) I think underage tend to be very good at following it (the lads just see it as a bit of safety kit) but I think there are definitely a strong number of older players flouting it.

The GPA/GAA could do with a reminder campaign alright.

Lar Naparka

I can't understand why anyone would not wear a gumshield.
A puck in the gob or an elbow in the jaw could result  a mouthful of broken teeth or in extreme cases, concussion. Without the shield, the shock would pass up through the teeth to the skull and that could spell trouble.
The fact that it doesn't happen on a regular basis is no excuse for not wearing one. It's like sayng, 'Stuff house insurance, I haven't had a break in since I took out a policy so what's the need to have one if you don't need it?'
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Christmas Lights

Over 2 years since I started this thread and I haven't worn a gum shield yet   8)

Lar naparka, reasons for not wearing a gum shield

- they make me gag
- they are ugly looking, makes one look like bubba from Forrest Gump
- they restrict the intake of O2
- I don't want to be one of those guys who pulls out his gum shield every break in play only to see a trail of slabbers follow from the mouth, disgusting.

Into the sock she goes every game

smort

I don't even bother taking mine out of the kit bag. When the rule first came in I had it in the sock, ready to put it in if a referee said anything, but I don't even bother with that anymore. Haven't been pulled on it yet and have yet to see anyone being pulled on it.

themac_23

Strange that you boys are getting away with it for so long. Seems to be something referees in Antrim come down pretty hard on, I've seen plenty of players booked/ ordered off for gum shield offences, even a game i was at a few weeks ago a fella got put off until he had one, his team mates seemed pretty p*ssed off that he wasn't wearing one, seems most players in Antrim now wear one. i think maybe referees are looking out for number one in that regard. Maybe MR2 can shed some light, are the Antrim Referee committee maybe more pro active in keeping referees on the ball about gum shields?

Agree though, at IC level I've noticed very very few players wearing them.

Canalman

Referees here in Dublin from what I see would remind lads to wear them. Was at a game where one lad didn't have one and the ref pulled him up on it. He had to be substituted and sat out most of the game on the sideline.

Seem to be lots of guys with them in their socks.

Lunacy imo not to wear one. If hurlers can adapt to the faceguard no reason a club footballer can't handle a gumshield.