The Haas Talks

Started by Orior, September 20, 2013, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: lawnseed on January 07, 2014, 09:36:36 PM
Nesbitt is no worse than the dick they had before

Tom had a great accent all the same. I can just imagine him saying " so you're for a match ? - pull over there."

armaghniac

QuoteNesbitt is no worse than the dick they had before

The previous incumbent was traditional bigot, Nesbitt is a new age bigot.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Count 10

The sad reality is that no matter what happens SF and DUP will still be elected. The only party interested in real politics appears to be Alliance....but they are powerless.
Flags, parades and the past.....instead of jobs, health, education and the economy.
Only I'm past my sell by date I'd get the fcuk out of this shithole!

glens abu

Quote from: Count 10 on January 08, 2014, 09:43:13 AM
The sad reality is that no matter what happens SF and DUP will still be elected. The only party interested in real politics appears to be Alliance....but they are powerless.
Flags, parades and the past.....instead of jobs, health, education and the economy.

How do you work that out when the SDLP and SF were the only two parties who accepted the proposals.

Count 10

Quote from: glens abu on January 08, 2014, 12:57:07 PM

How do you work that out when the SDLP and SF were the only two parties who accepted the proposals.

I'm talking about real politics....not flags and parades.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Count 10 on January 08, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

Flags, parades and indenity matter to many, just because they don't matter to you does not make them less important. With regards to the economy, health etc Stormont will never be able to effect any change or influence until the former is settled.

Count 10

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2014, 05:02:00 PM
Quote from: Count 10 on January 08, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

Flags, parades and indenity matter to many, just because they don't matter to you does not make them less important. With regards to the economy, health etc Stormont will never be able to effect any change or influence until the former is settled.

So are you saying that the flying of the union flag, parading where you are not wanted etc are on a par with bed/nurse/doctor shortages, education cuts and the economy. If Cameron had any balls he would pull the rug from under them and implement direct rule. The gobshites at Stormont have proved from the signing of the GFA that they are not fit for purpose.

imtommygunn

Unless they do something about flags and parades then there won't be the money to spend in important areas as it will be being spent on policing and not health care etc where it should be.

The money spent policing parades and flag protests over the last number of years - last year in paritcular - is disgusting and could have been put to so much better use.

Maguire01

If i'm not mistaken, Alliance wouldn't support all the proposals because they didn't go far enough. And to an extent, they're right - the content on flags, for example, is a fudge - even if all 5 parties had signed up, there was no actual agreement for action, just for further talking.

Maguire01

Playing 'devil's advocate' here, but do SF or the SDLP deserve many plaudits for endorsing Haass? I've at a read at the proposals and it's hard to see where they've really compromised - it would be difficult to understand if they had rejected it - is there anything in it that creates real difficulties for nationalists or republicans? I fully acknowledge that the Unionists are the ones who need to compromise more than SF or the SDLP on some of these issues.

Also, not sure that this attitude of 'no more negotiation' is appropriate. There's no point in talking about 'implementation' before there's agreement. If the answer is more negotiation, then so be it. Until all 5 parties are on board, endorsement by 2 parties is largely irrelevant. It makes SF and the SDLP look reasonable and the unionist look unreasonable, but it moves nothing forward.

armaghniac

QuoteI fully acknowledge that the Unionists are the ones who need to compromise more than SF or the SDLP on some of these issues.

Do you, really?

bennydorano

This 'country' is just an embarrasment. I have truely given up on it, i'll never vote again.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 08, 2014, 07:30:27 PM
Playing 'devil's advocate' here, but do SF or the SDLP deserve many plaudits for endorsing Haass? I've at a read at the proposals and it's hard to see where they've really compromised - it would be difficult to understand if they had rejected it - is there anything in it that creates real difficulties for nationalists or republicans? I fully acknowledge that the Unionists are the ones who need to compromise more than SF or the SDLP on some of these issues.
Maybe you should play something else and just express your own opinions.

QuoteAlso, not sure that this attitude of 'no more negotiation' is appropriate. There's no point in talking about 'implementation' before there's agreement. If the answer is more negotiation, then so be it. Until all 5 parties are on board, endorsement by 2 parties is largely irrelevant. .
I don't know what the devil's lawyer is saying but the talk I have heard about was acting on the points that have already been agreed upon. I haven't heard about acting on points which have not been agreed upon.

QuoteIt makes SF and the SDLP look reasonable and the unionist look unreasonable
Do you think SF or the SDLP actually have to do anything in order to make the Unionists look unreasonable?
Did the ANC make the Afrikaner conservatives look unreasonable?

Quotebut it moves nothing forward
Moving forward  is a 2013 expression, let's not flog a dead horse here and drag it into 2014 :)

armaghniac

What is story with Alliance? They seem to generally welcome Haas but have "some reservations". What are these?

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2014, 08:02:00 PM
QuoteI fully acknowledge that the Unionists are the ones who need to compromise more than SF or the SDLP on some of these issues.

Do you, really?
No, I don't. i was just trying to convince you.  :-[