The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteIreland secured a berth at the 2011 World Cup by defeating the Netherlands by six wickets in Wednesday's qualifier in Pretoria.

The Irish restricted the Dutch to 222 on a decent pitch with Alex Cusack and Boyd Rankin both taking three wickets.

Captain William Porterfield hit 78 while Eoin Morgan struck a 62-ball 76 as the Irish moved to 177-1 in reply.

Ireland then had a mini wobble as they lost three wickets before being guided home by Kevin O'Brien and Andrew White.

The Irish have won six out of their seven games in the qualifying event in South Africa, with their only defeat Saturday's shock reverse against Afghanistan.

Phil Simmons' side are now guaranteed one of the four qualifying spots on offer at the event in South Africa.

The Irish have qualified for Sunday's final with Canada their likely opposition.

Canada were shocked by the United Arab Emirates on Wednesday but the north Americans should make the decider if they avoid a heavy defeat against Holland on Friday.

Despite Alexei Nicolaas Kervezee's 77, the Dutch were unable to build any substantial partnerships with Bastiaan Zuiderent's 27 the next highest score.

The Netherlands were without star all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate who has returned to Essex for the start of the English domestic season.

After being 22-2, the Dutch threatened to post a decent total when they moved to 163-4 with Kervezee hitting six fours and two sixes.

But Niall O'Brien stumped the opener off Cusack's bowling to halt Dutch momentum.

Peter Connell claimed two wickets with Regan West and Trent Johnston also taking dismissals.

Irish captain Porterfield and Gary Wilson put on 60 for the opening wicket before the right-hander was caught by Dutch captain Jeroen Smits off Peter Borren's bowling.

Morgan's arrival quickened the Irish scoring rate as he hit five fours and four sixes in a superb 76, showing the kind of form that has impressed England's World Twenty20 selectors.

The Middlesex player and Porterfield put on 117 for the second wicket before Morgan was caught by Edgar Schiferli off a Mudassar Bukhari delivery.

Porterfield was then run out and O'Brien departed soon after as the Irish slipped to 198-4.

However, Kevin O'Brien (13 not out) and Andrew White (14 not out) guided the Irish past the Dutch total with over five overs to spare to secure their passage to the 2011 tournament.

Ireland enjoyed a memorable 2007 World Cup in the West Indies as they sensationally defeated Pakistan and tied with Zimbabwe on the way to qualifying for the Super Eights.

Irish team manager Roy Torrens paid tribute to the squad's displays in South Africa.

"We are obviously delighted to have achieved our primary objective which was to qualify for the World Cup," said Torrens.

"Now we must maintain the momentum and win the final on Sunday.

"We loved every minute of the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies and everyone has worked so hard to reach the finals again.

"Captain William Porterfield has set a wonderful example in the field.

"I rate him among the best in the world and his exploits rub off on the rest of the squad," added Torrens.

Gabriel_Hurl

Kenya require another 128 runs with 8 wickets and 29.0 overs remaining

Chasing 209

Main Street

"I rate him among the best in the world and his exploits rub off on the rest of the squad," added Torrens.

High praise indeed.

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Main Street

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2009, 05:31:03 PM
You are enjoying this :)

Knowing that you aren't, helps ;)

Seriously, to be honest I support the England cricket team, and I'm proud of any Irishman who represents them.  I think it is a good thing for Irish cricket and will help improve the sport here. 

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2009, 04:16:28 PM

High praise indeed.
I think he meant among the best fielders in the world. Which is probably true enough.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Main Street

"in the field"  here means fielding?     makes more sense.

I thought he was rating him among the best in the field (of play).

Chrisowc

Ireland play Worcestershire in the Friends Provident Trophy at Stormont next Sunday (26th April)

Main Street

I hope not everybody who attends will be supporting the English team :)

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on April 19, 2009, 09:02:36 PM
I hope not everybody who attends will be supporting the English team :)

:D

The only time I've supported an English team against an Irish one was when Liverpool have played the Bloos.  I'm sure you'd approve. ;)

Main Street

The return of Trent.
5 for 14 -  I guess that's the reason he has the ball.

2011 World Cup berth and $1million a year in ICC funding that will presently wire its way to Dublin.

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000054/005494.shtml

If Kyle McCallan were master of the game's purse strings — and this is one sport that seems to have been painted by some recession-proof sealant — his first priority would be to correct the one-way traffic that blights the Irish game whenever times are good

our best players are being creamed off and we are getting nothing in return.

"At the end of the day, we are developing them and funding them and putting all this money into grassroots, and they are just being taken from us. At least in football there is compensation for that.

"So from our point of view, we've got to keep our best players in Ireland. Eoin Morgan wants to play Test cricket, he wants to play cricket at the highest level and I think Cricket Ireland have to be pushing the ICC to give us more opportunity to play cricket at the highest level."

Chrisowc

Unfortunately that situation is a long way from happening.  If Kyle was 10 years younger I reckon he'd be away to England too.

Lets hope the ICU use the money wisely.

Chrisowc

Eoin Morgan just hit the winning run for England against West Indies in the 2nd ODI there.