The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 25, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2015, 12:17:01 PM
Ireland seem to like to chase.

Apparently the fielding restrictions late on make things very heavily weighted in favour of the batting team so it seems the strategy is to dawdle along for 35 overs and preserve wickets and then go for it with the final powerplay and the last ten overs. Lots of teams adding 100 for the last 10 overs. This has to be partly the influence of the growth of T20.

We made a mistake not giving Dockrell his full allocation of overs and almost paid the price for it. Now we need one win out of the remaining 4 matches to go through.
Will that be enough? The Windies beat Pakistan and so assuming India and SA win their remaining matches, if Pakistan beat us and Zimbabwe, and if we beat Zimbabwe, that should leave Windies, Pakistan and ourselves on 6 points each, down to run rate then?

Or Pakistan beat South Africa! >:(

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 07, 2015, 08:35:35 AM
f**king Pakistan just beat South Africa. That changes things!
That's a spanner in the works alright and I was hoping to avoid having to figure out how that run rate thing is calculated but I gather that if it came down to run rate, Ireland  are at a disadvantage.

Looking very good  so far against Zimbabwe who have managed 105-4 after 22 overs

ONeill

201 runs from 150 balls Zim need. If Taylor not taken out by root soon this'll be tight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

This is slipping away. Zim need 149 from 107.

ONeill

Hardy

Holy shit. We need Tommy Walsh to deal with this fella.

ONeill

ONeill

ONeill

Hardy

I suppose we should have a good chance now, as they'll have to take risks to achieve that score.

deiseach

All of Ireland's good bowlers (such as they are) are gone. Ordinarily I'd expect a team of Zimbabwe's stature to get over the finish line, although it looks to me like they're farming the strike. You shouldn't have to be doing that with a number six.

ONeill

ONeill

Zim need 9.3 an over. Can see them getting it.

ONeill

Ervine gone. Zimbabwe will go for broke now. 73 off 45 balls.