Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sekibanki

Quote from: deadman on January 25, 2019, 03:59:11 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2019, 02:03:32 PM
What age is Burns?

Do people think we will be as open as we were in the McKenna cup?
I see Mickey said he's happy enough for Morgan to come out the field as much as he once as long as its sensible.
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2019/01/25/news/tyrone-boss-mickey-harte-gives-niall-morgan-the-green-light-to-advance-1535691/

Is McKernan the new Rory B after his great year last year?

How ridiculous is the idea of Morgan playing outfield? (Stay with me...)
Someone said it me recently and I dismissed the notion entirely, but is there a school of thought that he could be inter-county standard as an outfielder? Thoroughly impressive for Edendork last year in a number of positions across the field, I don't think his athleticism and skill would be lacking.
It's not it ridiculous but difficult to see where it would fit in. In modern Gaelic football, the keeper plays a similar role to the quarterback of American football. This would be an ideal role for a full-blown, but the full-back is currently occupied taking up the role of a second sweeper, so...

omaghjoe

Quote from: PMG1 on January 26, 2019, 05:20:16 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 26, 2019, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on January 26, 2019, 10:22:55 AM
Are tg4 showing the match tomorrow?

No it's not.

Canavan pulling no punches re Tyrone approach to development of coaching in Independent today

Can you post the article

Careful now you dont want Ewan McKenna lambasting us on twitter again

the prodigy

Quote from: sekibanki on January 26, 2019, 06:00:04 PM
Quote from: deadman on January 25, 2019, 03:59:11 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2019, 02:03:32 PM
What age is Burns?

Do people think we will be as open as we were in the McKenna cup?
I see Mickey said he's happy enough for Morgan to come out the field as much as he once as long as its sensible.
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2019/01/25/news/tyrone-boss-mickey-harte-gives-niall-morgan-the-green-light-to-advance-1535691/

Is McKernan the new Rory B after his great year last year?

How ridiculous is the idea of Morgan playing outfield? (Stay with me...)
Someone said it me recently and I dismissed the notion entirely, but is there a school of thought that he could be inter-county standard as an outfielder? Thoroughly impressive for Edendork last year in a number of positions across the field, I don't think his athleticism and skill would be lacking.
It's not it ridiculous but difficult to see where it would fit in. In modern Gaelic football, the keeper plays a similar role to the quarterback of American football. This would be an ideal role for a full-blown, but the full-back is currently occupied taking up the role of a second sweeper, so...

In what way do you think a keeper is like an American football quarter back?

In hiding

Sekibanki your post makes no sense, well not to me anyways.
Regarding Tyrone I think we all just need to keep taking the tablets. It will be interesting to see how many teams score 7 points or less in a div 1 game this year

southtyronegael

tyrone and Sligo joint lowest scorers across 4 divisions today with 7 points each.

jb81

Was an awful game in Killarney yesterday. Wet and slippy conditions didn't help both teams. But Tyrone were awful in the first half.
Kerry defended well to be fair but there seemed to no 'plan' from Tyrone. There was no ball going into the forward line in the first half at all. Ponderous side to side play, which I had hoped we would have moved on from a bit last year.

Tyrone really only looked threatening when Coney came on and started looking for balls into Harte and Mc'Curry which worked for a while but Kerry took back control and kept the scoreboard ticking over and done plenty enough to see a poor Tyrone out the gate.
Was hoping to see Lee Brennan come on, but he warmed up for a long time but no sign of him.
Tyrone kept working the ball up the middle and running into trouble in a very tight area with loads of bodies inside the Kerry 45, and were either turned over or tried passes or shots that were not really the right decision. We ended up in some good positions with Mc'Namee and Mc'Kernan rather than our shooters like Mc'Curry and missed opportunities.

Harte, McCurry, Donnelly, McCann kept plugging away but a lot of mistakes and wrong choices. Defence done ok, not too sure on Mc'Geary though, thought he was beat a good few times too easily. Most of Kerry points were from them breaking through the midfield too easy and either getting a free or a good long range effort. Sludden was poor, as was Mulgrew ( although didnt get much ball in to him ), McShane didn't get into the game at all.

Was looking forward to seeing us play with two good big midfielders ( something we haven't really had for a while ) but they didn't get going at all and were well beat around the middle. Morgan's kickouts I thought were poor. And can someone please tell me why he is still coming up the field to hit frees when for the last 5 years he has proven that he only ends up hitting about 50% of all frees ( would this be fair ). I really don't think he is reliable enough and think it is time to move on from this particular tactic.

Overall an awful performance in the first half from Tyrone gave Kerry the cushion to see out the second half in poor conditions. Playing catch up in the league already.

Shout out to Sean O'Se who was brilliant for Kerry, with a sublime sideline kick near the end, as well as some goof performances from Dara Moynihan and a few of their defenders. They looked good for their first outing of the year.

southtyronegael

Yesterday was prob a mirror image of last year's opening round loss to Galway, also by 4 points after a brutal display. Still time to get their shit sorted but would be worried our offensive game plan isn't developing quickly enough.

An Watcher

Looks like Monaghan had their work done with regards the offensive mark.  Maybe conditions prevented too many of these in killarney yday? 

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 28, 2019, 10:39:56 AM
Yesterday was prob a mirror image of last year's opening round loss to Galway, also by 4 points after a brutal display. Still time to get their shit sorted but would be worried our offensive game plan isn't developing quickly enough.

I would be confident in asserting that you saw neither of these games, rendering your post irrelevant. No change there.

deadman

Kerry's defense was brilliant yesterday. From the start their tackling was more intense, they were forcing turnovers, no Tyrone player was getting time on the ball and the space to open up a shot simply wasn't there.
Clear to see they'd done the homework on Tyrone, time and again they shut off the pathways through the middle that Tiernan McCann and Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly tend to attack through. Tyrone were just abjectly playing possession with lateral hand-passes around midfield, all very ponderous. They simply couldn't get a way through the Kerry defense to get a meaningful shot off.
That being said I thought the Tyrone defense was relatively good at the other end. Kerry obviously had a bit more joy from open play, and O'Shea was excellent on the frees, but Tyrone were still shutting down a lot of attacks in a first half that didn't inspire. Ronan McNamee was our only real stand-out performer, thought we was excellent throughout the game.

Obviously weather conditions played a massive part but some of the handling errors and loose fist-passes were horrendous. Any attempt to get into the scoring zone with incisive passing didn't work, either the kick wasn't accurate enough or the forward spilled the ball. It was only when Kyle Coney came on at half time that we started to get good accurate ball in, he found Darren McCurry (who was completely anonymous in the first half) with his first three kick passes. Niall Sludden and Cathal McShane failed to get into the game, while David Mulgrew was way off the pace. Thought Lee Brennan should have come in there at some stage, but to my surprise Harte threw in young Canavan, who frankly is not at the physical standard yet.

Midfield was a curious one. McClure looked a bit sluggish but improved a bit in the second half. Kennedy drove through the middle a few times but no end-product, early days for him yet though. Mattie Donnelly seemed to be picking up the bulk of the work around the centre.

southtyronegael

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 28, 2019, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on January 28, 2019, 10:39:56 AM

I would be confident in asserting that you saw neither of these games, rendering your post irrelevant. No change there.
just read match report in newspaper which basically said Tyrone were shit. But maybe someone who was at the game can tell different?

trailer

Was disappointed when I heard the result. Thought Tyrone would have gave it more of a rattle. Early doors I know, but they looked good in McKenna Cup and with Kerry under new management thought they would've laid down an early marker.

tyroneman

Quote from: trailer on January 28, 2019, 01:23:52 PM
they looked good in McKenna Cup.

Generous enough there trailer...

They looked good in patches and poor in others.

Mostly they were just ok.

Taylor

Terrible performance to match the terrible conditions.

Kerry just seemed better prepared and up for it which surprised me.

Our defence did well overall I thought and held Kerry for the most part. The OSe point from the sideline was worth the admission fee alone.

McNamee, Donnelly, Coney when he came on best on the day.

Canavan is just to light to be thrown into these games and would question MH for putting him in when we have others on the bench. What was wrong with LB?

Now under pressure to start getting points on the board in next 2 games