building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: TabClear on February 24, 2019, 04:56:58 PM

I be heard if you contact NIE and say they are roosting on power lines they will send you out a cd of hawk noises!! No idea if it's effective or how you would even go about it!

https://www.birdbusters.com/scare_bird_deterrent.html

Taylor

Has anyone ever bought houseplans online or is it best to go through a local architect?

Assume it is more expensive to go local?

gander

Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2019, 11:10:49 AM
Has anyone ever bought houseplans online or is it best to go through a local architect?

dunno, But I know my self build mortgage required the architect to sign off on each stage of the build, not sure how thatd work if you bought them online

lfdown2

Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2019, 11:10:49 AM

I pulled a set of plans from the internet and passed them to an architect friend to draw up. Don't do it. I have been back through planning twice as what I had used didn't suit the site, my advise would be to get a good architect with experience of the specific type of build you are looking for.

trueblue1234

Anyone a rough idea of solicitor price to sell a site? Got a quote and it seems high given the value of the site.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ambrose

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 11, 2019, 06:09:45 PM
Anyone a rough idea of solicitor price to sell a site? Got a quote and it seems high given the value of the site.

A grand ish plus VAT

Shop around, you could save a decent amount just by making a few phone calls. Also watch they don't try to throw in a few hidden extras.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

clarshack

Quote from: 1884 on April 24, 2019, 05:52:15 PM
I am currently looking at drawing up plans.
I was just wondering what the going rate is per sq foot? I am looking to sort out our budget and take it from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have been thinking about a 2500sq ft traditional square build.

I know this can all depend on spec and design etc but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone have an idea on the current rate per square foot? have heard the cost of some materials such as insulation have went sky high.
am looking to build in East Tyrone area and would be a traditional square build as well.

Erne Man

Clarshack - just going through this process at the minute. Bought a site last year, and plans passed back in March, and currently have plans with a number of builders for pricing.
Material prices have increased significantly (even in the last year) - insulation certainly impacted by raw material shortage. GBP rate not helping the material prices, as raw material souring from outside UK. Added to that is the demand for good tradespeople in Greater Dublin, leading to a relative shortage in NI.
Our design isnt the traditional square build (less than 2,500sq ft though), but the architect was estimating a "live-in" price of somewhere between £90 - £100 per sq ft for a good finish, albeit that rate is dependent on what you spend on kitchens, bathrooms, landscaping etc.
To be honest I'm expecting builders prices + a slight uplift on some of their PC sums, to come in around  £110 per sq ft.

Architect and associated Fees, Electricity connection etc could easily add another £5 - £8 per sq ft to that, depending on how rural & complex the site is. We got an NIE quote of £10k for connection, but have spoken to people in more rural locations paying £15k - £18k.

illdecide

Quote from: Erne Man on August 15, 2019, 03:41:05 PM
Clarshack - just going through this process at the minute. Bought a site last year, and plans passed back in March, and currently have plans with a number of builders for pricing.
Material prices have increased significantly (even in the last year) - insulation certainly impacted by raw material shortage. GBP rate not helping the material prices, as raw material souring from outside UK. Added to that is the demand for good tradespeople in Greater Dublin, leading to a relative shortage in NI.
Our design isnt the traditional square build (less than 2,500sq ft though), but the architect was estimating a "live-in" price of somewhere between £90 - £100 per sq ft for a good finish, albeit that rate is dependent on what you spend on kitchens, bathrooms, landscaping etc.
To be honest I'm expecting builders prices + a slight uplift on some of their PC sums, to come in around  £110 per sq ft.

Architect and associated Fees, Electricity connection etc could easily add another £5 - £8 per sq ft to that, depending on how rural & complex the site is. We got an NIE quote of £10k for connection, but have spoken to people in more rural locations paying £15k - £18k.

For years it was always priced around £50 - £60 sq foot but as you say things changed a lot over the last decade...Not sure about them rates but you're probably not for away in fairness. Trades men are (good ones) are getting harder to get. there are so many gobshites out there it's not even funny calling themselves tradesmen
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Erne Man

Those rates would be estimated contractor managed build Illdecide - as opposed to true "self-build", which would defintely be cheaper (but seriously time consuming!).
Its not an exaggeration to say the material prices for your housebuild package overall have probably increased by 15% - 20% since the Brexit vote in 2016!

clarshack

Quote from: Erne Man on August 15, 2019, 03:41:05 PM

Thanks, does that price per sq ft include the cost of your site?

manfromdelmonte

You going with block built or timber frame?

Erne Man

Afraid not Clarshack - site was separate.
To be honest I've been chatting to a few QS's over the past few months, and without them seeing plans etc they are quoting £90 - £100 off the top of their head. That is for walk in, fully contracted build - to good finish i.e. high level insulated, MVHR, u/floor heating, external landscaping etc.
They were all arguing the same factors: material price increases, labour shortages & rates increases.

If you are considering a build the only way to truly know, is to get the plans drawn up and get builders to price. You'll get anecdotal rate guidance like my estimates here, but every build and site are different.

clarshack

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 16, 2019, 12:03:37 PM

was thinking of timber frame.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: clarshack on August 16, 2019, 12:31:02 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 16, 2019, 12:03:37 PM

was thinking of timber frame.
Look at SIP housing construction
Set price from the design, delivery date from the factory
Less time on site
Weather tight much quicker - windows ordered off plans
You can get much better standard of insulation all through the house - floor, walls, roof.
Higher airtightness value