The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on February 08, 2019, 11:15:01 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 08, 2019, 10:01:52 PM
Quote from: Seany on February 08, 2019, 09:56:55 PM
Valentines Day edition tonight. My God. If this is what post Catholic Ireland looks like, bring back Archbishop McQuaid.

Amen to that.

Post catholic Ireland really is a fucked up place.
Sunday mass used to be like a Late Late Show Valentine's special - except the priest would choose which young boy he wanted to have sex with afterwards.

At least this show involves consenting adults (at least I think so, notwithstanding the amount of alcohol clearly consumed).

Ah come on. Sure as Fr Ted said...

"Say if there are 200 million priests in the world and five percent are paedophiles. That's still only 10 million."

Seriously though, you're exaggerating just a tad.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on February 08, 2019, 11:04:27 PM
Valentines Day edition tonight. My God. If this is what post Catholic Ireland looks like, bring back Archbishop McQuaid.
It's a cringey Friday night tv programme ffs. Ireland doesn't ever want John Charles McQuaid or anything like him back. That's a poor comment tbh.

The pendulum swings too far in each direction. We don't want Charles McQuaid, nor the opposite, but something in the middle.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bannside

Sid that's a ridiculous comment to make. Is that really what Sunday Mass used to be like. The thousands of good decent hard working priests who don't think like that at all should be hugely offended by your attempt to label the vast majority of good priests with the relatively small number of offenders.

I'm not an apologist for the Catholic Church, far from it, I take the view they are bang out of order on a range of issues, but I couldn't let your lazy analysis pass without letting you know it's cheap and particularly nasty.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bannside on February 09, 2019, 08:50:12 AM
Sid that's a ridiculous comment to make. Is that really what Sunday Mass used to be like. The thousands of good decent hard working priests who don't think like that at all should be hugely offended by your attempt to label the vast majority of good priests with the relatively small number of offenders.

I'm not an apologist for the Catholic Church, far from it, I take the view they are bang out of order on a range of issues, but I couldn't let your lazy analysis pass without letting you know it's cheap and particularly nasty.

Well said. As I said before on this forum my uncle was a priest in South Korea on the missions. He worked hard building churches and the like. He was no paedophile either, judging by all the well wishes from people out there at his funeral. And like yourself bannside, I think the church got an awful lot wrong too. I also believe they should stay out of referendum campaigns and primary schools also.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Sounds like the Tubridy sh1te hit a new low last night?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: hardstation on February 08, 2019, 11:04:27 PM
It's a cringey Friday night tv programme ffs. Ireland doesn't ever want John Charles McQuaid or anything like him back. That's a poor comment tbh.
Im not sure the quote was intended to be taken literally
Careful now

Sandy Hill

+1
"Stercus accidit"

Dolph1

Sid - or Eamonnca1 as he is otherwise known as on the board - has a hatred of the church which he's displayed many times due to their conservative outlook and will use any excuse to stick the boot in.

Don't say a bad word about lads in dresses or illegal immigrants or he'll be calling you a names quicker than a Virginia governor can get out the shoe polish.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

An Watcher

At least it saves me some money but disappointing to see us Nordies excluded from the late late competitions. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: An Watcher on February 22, 2019, 10:16:07 PM
At least it saves me some money but disappointing to see us Nordies excluded from the late late competitions.
Fancied that trip to Lisbon with 10 grand on the hip. Brexit backlash on the LLS?

BennyCake

Quote from: An Watcher on February 22, 2019, 10:16:07 PM

Partitionist bastards!

Rossfan

Maybe if ye volunteered to pay €160 to RTÉ they might let us back in😉
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2019, 10:30:52 AM
Maybe if ye volunteered to pay €160 to RTÉ they might let us back in😉

And we volunteered to pay their licence fee to watch GB and NI television................(excluding UTV cos that's shite). To be honest, I think we are getting the better deal here!

6th sam

Great show tonight, Rod Stewart singing Grace and emotional re 1916 and even name checking internment , so poignant given the Bloody Sunday fiasco this week.
Though revisionists and apologists try to underestimate the historical significance of 1916 and the anglo-Irish war, this was an extremely proud moment in our history as a nation , it's ironic that it was  emotionally recognised even by a knighted cockney tonight, fair play Rod.
The parents of the 1916 generation survived the famine, and at that time there was an environment which quite frankly had enough of imperialist bullying. They stood up to an empire and history showed that the British , as always in these circumstances, didn't play by the rules . That same ( we've had enough) mentality engendered the civil rights movement of 50 years ago, and we see now 50 years later that the British still are not playing by the rules, they've ignored the GFA, they're still manipulating and dodging a bullet in Bloody Sunday . Irish history has shown that things happen in cycles I've no doubt that Ireland will once again say enough is enough ! Time for the end game , united ireland and finally wave goodbye to Britain's ignominious involvemrment in this country .

Jim Bob

Rod Stewart was fantastic I have to say. Comes across as very down to earth and very sincere. Standing ovation at the end