2019 ACFL Division 1B

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 12, 2019, 02:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Yes Shane Murphy and the two Gormans plus Evan Costello, Jack Owens , Padraig Kirwan were all missing .Don't know if the two Carneys or Niall wheeler are playing this year .

SCFC

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 04, 2019, 04:34:51 PM
Yes Shane Murphy and the two Gormans plus Evan Costello, Jack Owens , Padraig Kirwan were all missing .Don't know if the two Carneys or Niall wheeler are playing this year .
Evan is out for the year. Abroad.

Countyminor

Can't help but be dismayed by the truly dismal standard of our league's this year, in particular this one. Stradbally and Joseph's between them provide 2 players to the county set-up and yet anytime I've seen them play this year both sides have been inexcusably poor. Conceding 7 to Ballylinan - is that a piss take or what? 6 to Emo? I have great respect for Stradbally as a club but Jesus what on earth is going on there?

On the other hand Courtwood are a breath of fresh air. They've seemingly overtaken more established clubs with literally 1 crop of young talent. They've a much stronger nucleus than the likes of the Arles clubs, Stradbally, Joes, Cretty, Ballyfin, The Heath and possibly Emo and Ballylinan.They won't just survive comfortably they are at worst quarter final standard in this year's championship despite arguably, in my opinion, being short about 4 or 5 players to get to within maybe 7 points of Portlaoise.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Countyminor on May 19, 2019, 01:02:26 AM
Can't help but be dismayed by the truly dismal standard of our league's this year, in particular this one. Stradbally and Joseph's between them provide 2 players to the county set-up and yet anytime I've seen them play this year both sides have been inexcusably poor. Conceding 7 to Ballylinan - is that a piss take or what? 6 to Emo? I have great respect for Stradbally as a club but Jesus what on earth is going on there?

On the other hand Courtwood are a breath of fresh air. They've seemingly overtaken more established clubs with literally 1 crop of young talent. They've a much stronger nucleus than the likes of the Arles clubs, Stradbally, Joes, Cretty, Ballyfin, The Heath and possibly Emo and Ballylinan.They won't just survive comfortably they are at worst quarter final standard in this year's championship despite arguably, in my opinion, being short about 4 or 5 players to get to within maybe 7 points of Portlaoise.
is this Div 1B your talking about young man.. as you probably know the Joe's are also in Div IA although results in both for them are poor. They must have a bigger pool of players then court wood to be able to field in both Div 1A ,& 1B.. court wood are doing well and well done to them but leagues and senior championship are miles apart
..especially the the difference between 1A and 1 B

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on May 19, 2019, 06:53:47 AM
Quote from: Countyminor on May 19, 2019, 01:02:26 AM

is this Div 1B your talking about young man.. as you probably know the Joe's are also in Div IA although results in both for them are poor. They must have a bigger pool of players then court wood to be able to field in both Div 1A ,& 1B.. court wood are doing well and well done to them but leagues and senior championship are miles apart
..especially the the difference between 1A and 1 B
How many Joes players are fielding with both the 1A and 1B teams?

Countyminor

I apologise profusely for my late night Saturday ramblings Monument Road regarding Joseph's especially ;D. I'd had a few pints by that stage. To have their intermediate side in amongst senior teams is quite impressive. l would still be concerned about Stradbally though, shipping those kind of beatings like last night is concerning, albeit Ballylinan had a very decent side out. Mind you the league is a pretty useless yard stick. I stand by my horrifically biased Courtwood claims as well. Small crop yes, but a good one.

High Fielder

If you have two sides close together, it could just mean you have an average bunch. Josephs have been terrible since Daly went to them, but that's karma for you. Some of those results are off the charts shocking. The level of work a lad gets through with the County compared to what most of these clubs are at is night and day. The league in Laois is generally not worth talking about

BallyroanAbbey

There's too many matches in the league, there is absolutely no need for there to be 14 league games in each the 2 divisions, Just have 8 team divisions 7 games each in all divisions bar the bottom division which could be divided into North and South (Because realistically a lad from Clonaslee isnt going to travel yo Graigue for Junior C etc), have county players available for 5 rounds, have games every 2 weeks alternating week to week between hurling and football  better to have half the matches with higher quality than double at a worse standard

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on May 19, 2019, 02:06:57 PM
There's too many matches in the league, there is absolutely no need for there to be 14 league games in each the 2 divisions, Just have 8 team divisions 7 games each in all divisions bar the bottom division which could be divided into North and South (Because realistically a lad from Clonaslee isnt going to travel yo Graigue for Junior C etc), have county players available for 5 rounds, have games every 2 weeks alternating week to week between hurling and football  better to have half the matches with higher quality than double at a worse standard
Lads want to play games. 14 is probably too many in the length of time allocated for them but 7 would also be too few. I think the previous system of 12 team divisions giving 11 games was grand. 11 is around the right number.
Even as a Courtwood man, I'm not too sure about the claims for us in previous posts! The league is mainly shadowboxing. I'd wait to see a round or two of championship before we know how teams are going.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

High Fielder

Have two rounds of the Championship coinciding with the county players availability. This league football only promotes mediocrity. Players sent home from the county panel are effectively given the death sentence as far as their county ambitions are concerned. How do you rise above what to me is a pathetic standard of football in the league? Some of these teams are as good now as they will be all year. Division 1A, B, 2 etc. None of it matters. Was it Ballyfin who came out of Division 2 a few years ago and were still good enough to survive in Senior? You have to make what you're playing for meaningful. Otherwise you might as well not bother

The PRO

Quote from: High Fielder on May 19, 2019, 02:20:54 PM
Have two rounds of the Championship coinciding with the county players availability.
Ah no. Don't disagree regarding the mediocrity of the league but starting the championship in April and resuming it three or four months later is not the answer.

High Fielder

In many ways, I agree with you PRO. As a system, it makes a lot of sense and allows the average club player to plan ahead, pick up the pace for Championship and importantly, have down time too. I'm all for that, particularly when we're talking about amateurs. But the world has moved on. Most counties, in fact a lot of clubs, allow very little down time. It is not uncommon for some clubs to prepare similarly to county set ups. So we're either progressive enough to have found the perfect system for the GAA as a whole, or we're stuck in a time warp thinking we have it sussed. Take your pick, but the current system is not doing us many favours

Laois Rising

The reality is very few clubs in Laois have huge strength in depth. Where a few players are missing for a league game they are often plugging the holes with junior/junior B standard players. It is what it is-the emphasis placed on the league would not be a strong in Laois as it is in some other counties. Reducing the number of games is not going to change that or improve the quality of the competition. 

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: SCFC on May 04, 2019, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 04, 2019, 04:34:51 PM
Evan is out for the year. Abroad.
I believe he's back home later this month. Great boost for Emo.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Silkyskillssunshinee

Ballylinan 1B champions again. Cathail Dunne, who I thought was very good when he played minor for Laois a while back, roasted the Courtwood back line. Although to be fair Courtwood were missing four good lads.

If Ballylinan had Gary Walsh back you'd fancy them to give Portlaoise a rattle in the first round. A pity he's abroad at the minute.