Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guevara

So you thought Falloon had a good game but now your saying he missed incidents?  Which is it?

Personally I thought John Boyle shipped a few late hits on Friday. I didn't think on any occasion he hauled a player down.

But again you deliberately miss the point being made. It is the job of The Referee to ensure a game is officiated in a fair manner, with the rules applied accordingly.

If a Referee does that, the cynical tactics employed by some are stamped out from the outset.

Too many have the view "it's a mans game". There is nothing manly about opportunistic cheap shots that are all too common in Today's game.   
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

thewobbler

Quote from: guevara on October 01, 2019, 02:30:26 PM
So you thought Falloon had a good game but now your saying he missed incidents?  Which is it?

Personally I thought John Boyle shipped a few late hits on Friday. I didn't think on any occasion he hauled a player down.

But again you deliberately miss the point being made. It is the job of The Referee to ensure a game is officiated in a fair manner, with the rules applied accordingly.

If a Referee does that, the cynical tactics employed by some are stamped out from the outset.

Too many have the view "it's a mans game". There is nothing manly about opportunistic cheap shots that are all too common in Today's game.

At no point did I say he had a good game. Just that on the balance of decisions, CPN shouldn't really complain about his performance.

While I largely agree with what you want referees to do, ultimately the off the ball stuff you're describing is not going to be seen by him unless he's looking in the wrong direction.

It requires linesmen and umpires to intervene for that to happen. At which point the referee has a judgement call to make, whether to trust the opinions and recommendations of the umpire, or not. It's wonderfully easy for you to say he should. It's not so easy for the man who actually has to dole out the cards. Especially if the precedent he sets means he has to evaluate every off the ball incident in unison with up to 6 different opinions, each of which is formed by a person with their own biases and a slightly different disposition towards aggression than the next man.

None of us want the referee to be the most visible man on the field. He (well, most of them) doesn't want this either. Do we really want 7 men adjudicating continually?

I can see what you're after. But I'm really sure anyone wants what it would bring.

terrifictommy

CB are looking for new refs all the time lads, step in when you're ready. Oh wait, it's easier to slate them than join them. I wouldn't fancy it, they are trying to keep on top of our mistakes, and we make a lot more. Plus, Falloon is in the inter-county scene and you don't get there for being a poor referee no matter what we say.
Once we rule out the refs who can't do the game there aren't many options left. Con Reynolds for 2nd year......

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on October 01, 2019, 03:04:02 PM
Quote from: guevara on October 01, 2019, 02:30:26 PM

At no point did I say he had a good game. Just that on the balance of decisions, CPN shouldn't really complain about his performance.

While I largely agree with what you want referees to do, ultimately the off the ball stuff you're describing is not going to be seen by him unless he's looking in the wrong direction.

It requires linesmen and umpires to intervene for that to happen. At which point the referee has a judgement call to make, whether to trust the opinions and recommendations of the umpire, or not. It's wonderfully easy for you to say he should. It's not so easy for the man who actually has to dole out the cards. Especially if the precedent he sets means he has to evaluate every off the ball incident in unison with up to 6 different opinions, each of which is formed by a person with their own biases and a slightly different disposition towards aggression than the next man.

None of us want the referee to be the most visible man on the field. He (well, most of them) doesn't want this either. Do we really want 7 men adjudicating continually?

I can see what you're after. But I'm really sure anyone wants what it would bring.
When you listen to people watching football, especially when you are a neutral at games, they don't want the referee to be fair. They want a free called every time a hand is laid on their player and they want no frees gave against them. The amount of times you hear a ref being called all sorts for a completely correct call at a game is a joke. I'm sure I've done it myself in the heat of it too but it's getting worse. I know we don't have the best crop of refs in Down but who'd do it? I wouldn't do it for £500 a game.

Brick Tamlin

It would probably be better if a man went out and actually went toe to toe with his opposite number in a contest of ability, skill and wits without having to resort to crap.
Good players dont need resort to nonsense, its usually the tubes you see running about like headless chickens. You can be sure that the guy spends his time cheap digging, sledging and late hitting is technically inferior to his opponent. For instance Ballyholland no6 spent most of the game on Friday throwing shapes. If id been him i would took one look at the scoreboard and kept my head down and said nowt.

Ballyholland were disappointing by their own standards, and very un-Ballyholland like. They left a raft of room in front of McGarry & co to operate in untouched for large parts and when Point built up that lead they never relented. The sweeper or men back didnt affect the game as much as ive seen them do previously. Even when Point got ahead of steam i was surprised Ballyholland didnt shut the gate for a period just to regain composure. In a year when the standard looked as poor as ever they probably maxed out at getting to a semi and im sure avoiding relegation is the ultimate aim.

You have to give the Point credit though in how they played. Pace, power and mobility across all lines and key players performed, though id doubt if they could replicate that again with nearly 1-15 on song. Kilcoo will set out to do a job on Boyle such is his influence, similarly to how he had the physicality to handle Murphy's threat. McGarry wont score a hatful against the Brannigans but id still expect him to weigh in with scores. The Point's strength is actually their defence and how interchangeable it is with quality footballers across the lines, they seem to be able to handle most threats. If memory serves me the two teams played out a fiercely fought contest in the semis last year and it looked finely balanced until the sending off of Point Capt.
Kilcoo will want to put them in their place and show that Burren winning last year was a blip..whereas Point will want to prove they have the mettle required to back up their chat.
Dont rule out the draw folks.

upandwin

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 01, 2019, 04:21:49 PM
It would probably be better if a man went out and actually went toe to toe with his opposite number in a contest of ability, skill and wits without having to resort to crap.
Good players dont need resort to nonsense, its usually the tubes you see running about like headless chickens. You can be sure that the guy spends his time cheap digging, sledging and late hitting is technically inferior to his opponent. For instance Ballyholland no6 spent most of the game on Friday throwing shapes. If id been him i would took one look at the scoreboard and kept my head down and said nowt.

Ballyholland were disappointing by their own standards, and very un-Ballyholland like. They left a raft of room in front of McGarry & co to operate in untouched for large parts and when Point built up that lead they never relented. The sweeper or men back didnt affect the game as much as ive seen them do previously. Even when Point got ahead of steam i was surprised Ballyholland didnt shut the gate for a period just to regain composure. In a year when the standard looked as poor as ever they probably maxed out at getting to a semi and im sure avoiding relegation is the ultimate aim.

You have to give the Point credit though in how they played. Pace, power and mobility across all lines and key players performed, though id doubt if they could replicate that again with nearly 1-15 on song. Kilcoo will set out to do a job on Boyle such is his influence, similarly to how he had the physicality to handle Murphy's threat. McGarry wont score a hatful against the Brannigans but id still expect him to weigh in with scores. The Point's strength is actually their defence and how interchangeable it is with quality footballers across the lines, they seem to be able to handle most threats. If memory serves me the two teams played out a fiercely fought contest in the semis last year and it looked finely balanced until the sending off of Point Capt.
Kilcoo will want to put them in their place and show that Burren winning last year was a blip..whereas Point will want to prove they have the mettle required to back up their chat.
Dont rule out the draw folks.

The most sensible post I've seen on this thread in about 18 months...mine included lol I've called the draw too, think it will be won by CPN in the replay...Kilcoo aren't as good as they were last year and the point seem better...Bridge and Burren will be kicking themselves...it was a year anyone of the big four could've won it

champion1981

So kilcoo win the league tonight I see  ,must of Been poor enough game, heavy suspensions coming I heard! Did the referee get a dig?

Leftmidfield

Quote from: champion1981 on October 01, 2019, 09:38:54 PM
So kilcoo win the league tonight I see  ,must of Been poor enough game, heavy suspensions coming I heard! Did the referee get a dig?
Yes I heard Mr Rice got a dig from a Clonduff player

PTC

Bad work if true! Was a low scoring game congrats to kilcoo

Square Ball

Disgrace of true indeed, verbal abuse is bad enought, but when it comes to the physical kind it's time to act swiftly. Without these guys in the middle we have no games, it's as simple as that. Will the refs themselves act on this? Anyone know the sanctions that can be used? Surely the club should act as well
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

sdg

Shocking hope the Co board take the strongest possible action. Congratulations to Kilcoo on winning the ACL Div1. A few big games coming up Saturday at the bottom end, Downpatrick v Ford the big game. Think Castlewellan will get a easy win against a probably 2nds Warrenpoint team

upandwin

Couple of big weeks ahead in the season...What's everyone's predictions for Saturday's games? Lots of permutations possible...

Rostrevor v Mayobridge-Surely Mayobridge will win that against a Rostrevor side that have obviously packed up tools for the year
Downpatrick v Bryansford-Both need to win, think Bryansford will win in a close game
Castlewellan v CPN-Castlewellan to beat the point handy, point surely bubble wrapping players over the next 10days
Ballyholland v Burren-Harps to win by 4...Burren have given up the ghost too, apparently they aren't training or anything.

Think if those results go to plan, that means RGU go down and Castlewellan would play Ballyholland in a Playoff? Would be good value for the neutrals if Harps and Hoops played out a relegation decider...If Downpatrick beat the Ford and those other results go as predicted, am I right in saying that would leave Castlewellan straight down and RGU playing Bryansford in a relegation playoff?

Are the point and Mayobridge safe enough no matter what? Head hurts looking at that league table...  :-\

rory

Quote from: upandwin on October 02, 2019, 12:16:22 PM
Couple of big weeks ahead in the season...What's everyone's predictions for Saturday's games? Lots of permutations possible...

Rostrevor v Mayobridge-Surely Mayobridge will win that against a Rostrevor side that have obviously packed up tools for the year
Downpatrick v Bryansford-Both need to win, think Bryansford will win in a close game
Castlewellan v CPN-Castlewellan to beat the point handy, point surely bubble wrapping players over the next 10days
Ballyholland v Burren-Harps to win by 4...Burren have given up the ghost too, apparently they aren't training or anything.

Think if those results go to plan, that means RGU go down and Castlewellan would play Ballyholland in a Playoff? Would be good value for the neutrals if Harps and Hoops played out a relegation decider...If Downpatrick beat the Ford and those other results go as predicted, am I right in saying that would leave Castlewellan straight down and RGU playing Bryansford in a relegation playoff?

Are the point and Mayobridge safe enough no matter what? Head hurts looking at that league table...  :-\
Diff  Pts
6   Cumann Pheadair Naofa        9   18
7   Mayobridge                         -3   16
8   Bryansford                          -23  16
9   Ballyholland                        -49  16
10   RGU Downpatrick              -58   12
11   Castlewellan                     -54   11

I'm presuming the tie-breaker is score difference.

If Bryansford and Ballyholland get a better result than 'Bridge, 'Bridge will end up in playoff as they are all on same points.  The score diff means that 3 wins would probably put Ballyholland in playoff.

If CPN lose by 9 say, and bridge win by 4, 'Ford win by 24 and Harps win by 50, then CPN in playoff  :o

upandwin

Quote from: rory on October 02, 2019, 04:26:49 PM
Quote from: upandwin on October 02, 2019, 12:16:22 PM

Diff  Pts
6   Cumann Pheadair Naofa        9   18
7   Mayobridge                         -3   16
8   Bryansford                          -23  16
9   Ballyholland                        -49  16
10   RGU Downpatrick              -58   12
11   Castlewellan                     -54   11

I'm presuming the tie-breaker is score difference.

If Bryansford and Ballyholland get a better result than 'Bridge, 'Bridge will end up in playoff as they are all on same points.  The score diff means that 3 wins would probably put Ballyholland in playoff.

If CPN lose by 9 say, and bridge win by 4, 'Ford win by 24 and Harps win by 50, then CPN in playoff  :o

So the point aren't safe...? Nervy times on the seaside...lol Haven't seen much of Ford or RGU this year...who wins that one? Can see Cwellan, Bridge and Ballyholland winning...just don't know anything about RGU or Ford. Thoughts?

PTC

I see adrain sharvin is doing the senior final, I thought he did very well in the kilcoo burren replay