Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Moss

Quote from: Mourne Red on October 07, 2019, 12:25:50 PM
For anyone sick of seeing yewtree spout BS put him on your ignore list.

Click on profile, hover over Modify Profile, click on Buddies/Ignore List, Then Edit Ignore list and add him in.

Save yourself from reading his nonsense.

I'd like to nominate you as MVP. Thanks

whitegoodman

Is it true that Kilcoo appealed the suspension handed out to the minor ?

Too many steps

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 08, 2019, 10:08:42 AM

That was the story going round on Sunday before the match.

Apparently county board upheld it at 1.30pm just 30 mins before throw in.

Not surprising that they appealed really - player involved was a big miss for them.

outinfront

Quote from: terrifictommy on October 07, 2019, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 07, 2019, 09:58:47 AM
Frank’s record has not been bad lately
2 sackings and a relegation
Division 1 clubs who could potentially change manager
Clonduff
Bryansford
Downpatrick
Burren

Division 2
Saval
Darragh Cross
Bredagh
Longstone
Castlewellan
Saul
Liatrom

I’d have thought Mayobridge rather than Clonduff? I’d also say Longstone, Bredagh and Saul would be fairly happy with their season. Haven’t set the world alight but stayed in Division 2.
Is Dawson that good?

Indeed, with a fair few men down from the last Intermediate winning team and a lot of young lads getting their first season of senior football under their belts we have done well.  Hopefully we can finish second in the league.  I'd say we are happy enough with our first season under Bundy and team.  I'd suggest our only disappointment is not holding out in injury time to Carryduff in the Championship and missing out on a QF spot.  But there's potential for improvement and with a few lads back next year hopefully we can push on in the right direction. If we do finish 2nd it's a pity it's only 1 up!

There's also time for Saul to save themselves.  Messy at the bottom!

champion1981

How could the county board suspend any 1 with out a hearing? It wasn't in the referees report about sledging, the kilcoo lad never got a yellow or red card nor his name even taking,  can they do that ? From what I've been told they suspend him on the back of a letter from mayobridge? I also heard his own club tried to suspend him fro  county finals! Any truth in this men?

whitegoodman

Quote from: Too many steps on October 08, 2019, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on October 08, 2019, 10:08:42 AM

That was the story going round on Sunday before the match.

Apparently county board upheld it at 1.30pm just 30 mins before throw in.

Not surprising that they appealed really - player involved was a big miss for them.

Would him being a big miss justify them appealing it saying as they sincerely apologised over the issue !!

downjim

These boys are minors, they need to be taught correctly. If you are wrong accept the responsibility and move on.
Appealing is wrong on Kilcoo's behalf and I know a lot of Kilcoo people are not happy about the appeal.

Oglach

The minor who I understand is genuinely remorseful for what he said, was suspended from the County final by Kilcoo Committee.
The County board then took it off Kilcoo's hands and passed an 8 week suspension.
I understand Kilcoo were appealing that decision.
He was never going to play in Sunday's final even if the 8 week suspension had been overturned.

whitegoodman

Why appeal the suspension then before the game  ?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 08, 2019, 01:34:00 PM
Why appeal the suspension then before the game  ?

Are there other matches after? Ulster Championship for instance.

Besides that - the suspension was imposed based on... the referee's report?
I can only assume it was the referee's report - but if that was the case why was the player not sent off during the game?

If it was not in the referee's report, or was not witnessed/overheard by the referee - then - while in this case the player seems to have admitted guilt and a suspension is indeed in order - down the line we are opening up the disciplinary process to "he said, she said" where clubs/supporters might throw allegations around in an attempt to get players suspended... would be particularly useful if club A were playing club B in the league a few weeks before being scheduled to meet in the Championship.

i usse an speelchekor

Too many steps

Fair play to Kilcoo if they were imposing their own suspension before such an important match.

As far as the Co board getting involved is concerned I guess if there was a complaint and an apology. The apology is an admission of guilt. No one would apologise for an accusation like this if it were not true.

While there are those who may question the Co board for getting involved if it wasn't in the ref's report. Equally, if they didn't do anything and guilt had been admitted they would face criticism.

Given that I think everyone would agree that the verbal abuse was unacceptable I don't think the boards suspension is excessive and will be a lesson to others about this sort of behaviour.

I don't really think there's much more to add - the lad has been suspended and hopefully has learned a lesson - case closed.

And yes there is an Ulster minor championship - starts in December I think.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Too many steps on October 08, 2019, 02:19:17 PM
While there are those who may question the Co board for getting involved if it wasn't in the ref's report. Equally, if they didn't do anything and guilt had been admitted they would face criticism.

Given that I think everyone would agree that the verbal abuse was unacceptable I don't think the boards suspension is excessive and will be a lesson to others about this sort of behaviour.

Yeah, the problem is the lesson for some might be to never admit guilt and/or apologise.

While I don't disagree with the ban if its based on official evidence, I do have concern about precedent for future events.
i usse an speelchekor

Too many steps

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 08, 2019, 02:48:51 PM

Yeah, the problem is the lesson for some might be to never admit guilt and/or apologise.

While I don't disagree with the ban if its based on official evidence, I do have concern about precedent for future events.

It's a dilemma for the CB really, but I don't think they could have sat by and ignored this.

I suppose the obvious comparison is the legal system - while pleading guilty may get you a more lenient sentence it does not exonerate you.

I guess the CB should be more open about their process if that is the case and release a statement to the effect that a suspension of say 12 weeks was applied but reduced to 8 (or whatever it is) due to admission of guilt/ remorse/apology etc.

That would go some way to demonstrating that admitting guilt or apologising will be taken into account.

Silver hill

Quote from: Too many steps on October 08, 2019, 05:19:10 PM

It's a dilemma for the CB really, but I don't think they could have sat by and ignored this.

I suppose the obvious comparison is the legal system - while pleading guilty may get you a more lenient sentence it does not exonerate you.

I guess the CB should be more open about their process if that is the case and release a statement to the effect that a suspension of say 12 weeks was applied but reduced to 8 (or whatever it is) due to admission of guilt/ remorse/apology etc.

That would go some way to demonstrating that admitting guilt or apologising will be taken into account.

Doesn't really stack up that kilcoo imposed their own ban to then lodge a last minute appeal on the sat night before the final the next day. The only logical reason for that would be to allow the player to play in the game as he would be eligible until appeal was heard. If that was indeed the sequence of events, then fair play to the Down co board for hastily arranging a meeting on the Sunday morning, to hear, and rightly throwing the appeal out.

champion1981

Quote from: Silver hill on October 08, 2019, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: Too many steps on October 08, 2019, 05:19:10 PM

Doesn't really stack up that kilcoo imposed their own ban to then lodge a last minute appeal on the sat night before the final the next day. The only logical reason for that would be to allow the player to play in the game as he would be eligible until appeal was heard. If that was indeed the sequence of events, then fair play to the Down co board for hastily arranging a meeting on the Sunday morning, to hear, and rightly throwing the appeal out.
apparently a bridge member asked for an apology and if they were to get it there would be no more word of it,case closed and move on,  so by all accounts they got what they asked for in an apology and went on to notify the CB, going back on their word ?.I guess you could say🤔,