Petition of Concern - Plus ca change

Started by BarryBreensBandage, October 28, 2016, 09:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

It takes 30 signatures to submit a petition of concern at Stormont.
The DUP have 38 MLAs and the Speaker;
The next biggest party, SF, have 28 members.
How, in the name of god, is this a devolved government, acting on the will of the people?
Same as it ever was....
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BarryBreensBandage

http://www.thedetail.tv/articles/stormont-s-petition-of-concern-used-115-times-in-five-years

"The majority [84%] of the vetoes related to just 14 pieces of proposed legislation which involved the blocking of multiple amendments.

The DUP used the powers the most, with its members signing 86 petitions of concern, while the second highest use was by the SDLP and Sinn Féin whose members each signed 29 petitions of concern."

T Fearon

In spite of the whinges of gay supremacists,and their disgusting and vicious trolling of politicians,I think if there was a referendum on gay marriage here it would return an overwhelming No vote,from the vast majority of the unionist electorate and a significant majority of the nationalist electorate too.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on October 28, 2016, 10:26:46 PM
In spite of the whinges of gay supremacists,and their disgusting and vicious trolling of politicians,I think if there was a referendum on gay marriage here it would return an overwhelming No vote,from the vast majority of the unionist electorate and a significant majority of the nationalist electorate too.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/gay-marriage-now-has-overwhelming-support-in-northern-ireland-poll-31355428.html

QuoteThe latest survey found that 68% of adults in Northern Ireland believe same-sex couples should be allowed to marry - compared to the 62.1% 'Yes' vote in the Republic.

Meanwhile, those from a Catholic background are more inclined to voice support for gay marriage, with three quarters (75%) agreeing that homosexual couples should be able to get married, compared to 57% of those from a Protestant community background.

foxcommander

I think you'll find that publicly people will say they are in favour but in reality would vote against it.

Too dangerous to answer a survey honestly in case of being labelled.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

MoChara

A vote would overwhelmingly come back in favour of gay marriage look at the south after all the talk. There's nothing democratic about stormont and that's the way they like it

east down gael

I would imagine that a referendum on gay marriage would be passed with a large majority. I think in this day and age that it is desperately sad that people would vote against something that would make absolutely no difference to their own lives, yet would mean the world to those it actually concerns.

Rossfan

Quote from: east down gael on October 28, 2016, 10:55:00 PM
I would imagine that a referendum on gay marriage would be passed with a large majority. I think in this day and age that it is desperately sad that people would vote against something that would make absolutely no difference to their own lives, yet would mean the world to those it actually concerns.
+1.
We've had a few all female legal weddings around these parts lately and the world continues to spin and the sky didn't fall in.
Render unto Caesar and all that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BarryBreensBandage

The thing is that the majority of the elected assembly voted in favour of gay marriage, the DUP wheel out the petition of concern and it is stopped.
On a wider scale, this is ludicrous. Anything that makes it to a Stormont vote, be that building of roads, historical inquiries, major public funding, can be vetoed in order to keep the DUP electorate happy.
They are holding the 5 of Trump in a game of 45 every time.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on October 28, 2016, 10:40:07 PM
I think you'll find that publicly people will say they are in favour but in reality would vote against it.

"Too dangerous"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So when people said 'Yes' to a question in an anonymous survey, they really meant 'No'? And only you can see this??  ;D ;D ;D

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2016, 11:42:25 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on October 28, 2016, 10:40:07 PM

"Too dangerous"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So when people said 'Yes' to a question in an anonymous survey, they really meant 'No'? And only you can see this??  ;D ;D ;D
Ah stop Muppet - no point trying to figure that out with a common sense approach.
Yer man is worse than Syfín for pure bull. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

I told you before and repeatedly the people of the South and North are now fundamentally different,no pun intended.There is a highly religious dimension to the people of the North on all sides (only yesterday a Bloody Sunday Victim's brother admitted he voted TUV in the last election instead of the SDLP or SF,for maintaining his religious beliefs),whereas as the South is largely agnostic if not atheist.

There would be no majority vote from either side of the Northern Divide in favour of gay marriage

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: east down gael on October 28, 2016, 10:55:00 PM

This is changing the definition of marriage, a fundamental human institution. This is is a lot more important than flegs and the like and not something to be done to "please" a handful of people.

Quote from: T Fearon on October 29, 2016, 02:07:53 PM
I told you before and repeatedly the people of the South and North are now fundamentally different,no pun intended.There is a highly religious dimension to the people of the North on all sides (only yesterday a Bloody Sunday Victim's brother admitted he voted TUV in the last election instead of the SDLP or SF,for maintaining his religious beliefs),whereas as the South is largely agnostic if not atheist.

There would be no majority vote from either side of the Northern Divide in favour of gay marriage

The majority might be less than in the 26 counties, but polls suggest otherwise. A lot of people, like east down gael above, will not think of the consequences.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

You are wrong that they are fundamentally different but what is new.

There is highly religious dimension to some people in the north. There is a highly religious dimension to some people in the south.

You think christian beliefs come into it when most people vote green or orange? I doubt it.

In the last few places i have worked in the north the vast majority of the workforce were in no way religious and in fact quite a lot of vocal anti religious sentiment would have been expressed. (I wouldn't agree at all but that is the way some people are). Religion is generally struggling.

Voting demographics etc come into why the dup are in. They are not representative of as many as you think. Yes x% of electorate but that is x% of voters and there are near as many if not more non voters as voters.