Worst Job Ever?

Started by BarryBreensBandage, March 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

I visited a factory yesterday which took in the crud and leftovers from the adjacent meat factory and compressed it, seperated the blood from the pulp, and cooked the pulp to produce oil and tallow.

The guy I visited was the lead fitter in the place - last week, the hydraulics of the 'hopper' (the bunkers where the carcasses go initially) broke down. He had to get into the middle of it to fix the problem. Took him three hours to fix.

He was an absolute Gentleman, very clued in, knew the systems inside out - working 7 days a week in fat and stench. He was telling me he has to go home early from nights out with the wife because he starts to sweat the smell of the factory.

I can't in this day and age, think of a worse job - or does anyone know worse than this?

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

StGallsGAA

QuoteI can't in this day and age, think of a worse job - or does anyone know worse than this?

Rangers equality manager?

Puckoon

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM
He was an absolute Gentleman, very clued in, knew the systems inside out - working 7 days a week in fat and stench. He was telling me he has to go home early from nights out with the wife because he starts to sweat the smell of the factory.

Hard to think of something less pleasant to be honest and fair play to him for the dedication - but the bit above had me in stitches. Imagine going out knowing you were on a clock until the wife told you it was time to go home because you were starting to smell. Once in a while I get a whiff of me own feet if I'm not wearing socks, but I drink on an to hell with the begrudgers.

thebigfella

Teacher? O yeah forgot they get in handy

mc_grens

I think the lads holding up signs all day on Grafton St. have a pretty soul sucking job.

Agnes Dipesto

I used to work in a garage/shop in my younger days and a fella used to come in all the time for his lunch from a nearby pig farm. The smell was horrendous and he'd get lashed into the sandwich no problem. He was that used to the smell it didn't bother him. Couldn't have helped his love life though.

The Subbie

The Gs Man

Worked in an abbatoir myself when I was a student. Scraping the spinal cord out of cattle carcasses before they went to the fridges. You soon get used to it.
Keep 'er lit

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Puckoon on March 04, 2011, 12:43:59 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM

Hard to think of something less pleasant to be honest and fair play to him for the dedication - but the bit above had me in stitches. Imagine going out knowing you were on a clock until the wife told you it was time to go home because you were starting to smell. Once in a while I get a whiff of me own feet if I'm not wearing socks, but I drink on an to hell with the begrudgers.

;D ;D
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

tbrick18

The worst job I ever had was with the UN War Crimes commission.
I remember when we found the mass grave of about 10,000 snowmen. We later fount out it was a carrot field.

(not mine, but I thought it was funny)

:)

laoislad

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 04, 2011, 10:11:10 AM
Worked in an abbatoir myself when I was a student. Scraping the spinal cord out of cattle carcasses before they went to the fridges. You soon get used to it.

Worked in a Slaughter hall myself for a few months scraping the mess up off the floor..I believe most of it went off to become burgers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AbbeySider

Quote from: laoislad on March 04, 2011, 11:13:54 AM

Worked in a Slaughter hall myself for a few months scraping the mess up off the floor..I believe most of it went off to become burgers.

Do you still eat burgers?

laoislad

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 04, 2011, 11:47:55 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 04, 2011, 11:13:54 AM

Do you still eat burgers?

Yeah no bother.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Aerlik

There was a doco on here a few weeks ago about an English fella who came out to Oz to live the dream only to discover it was a pipedream.  So he set up his own business in Perth cleaning up people's property after there was a murder/suicide or whatever in there.  Also had the 'contract' for cleaning up the mess of a suicide on the rail tracks in Perth.  No pun intended but he is making a killing as no-one else wants to do it.  Fair play to that man. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

el_cuervo_fc

I know a fella who use to do that round Belfast. His affectionate nickname was "lift a stiff".

I Worked in the slaughter hall in dungannon meats one summer. I had to put the tags on the warm carcasses after they'd been skinned. I found it strangely intriguing to see them twitching even though they had been skinned, had no head and had been sliced down the middle.

The whole talk about the left over bit of the cattle was that they had a special bin for them to be minced and sent to McDonalds. They got the worst of the worst.