The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 16, 2021, 11:31:00 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 16, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 16, 2021, 10:23:54 AM
What I find amazing is that in Ireland where rugby is a minority sport , a substantial number of players come from a private school background which is a tiny percentage vid the population, yet we can beat England and France and even wales who have much more resources . Fair play to Irfu for getting us punching above our weight, and marketing the game well. But where is Rugby in Ireland actually going, it's not widening its appeal , it's dangerous, elitist , and we are apparently getting worse at it

If the GAA doesn't get it's restart right after Covid. And Rugby does....there'll be a swell of GAA players turning to it. With the potential to actually make a few quid. This could be what propels rugby in Ireland. I play a bit of rugby myself and I've already had a few men come to me and ask about getting started when they go back to training as they won't wait for the GAA.

utter balls and this is from someone who played a bit of rugby as well.

GAA needs to indeed get it right but at zero cost and risk to public health.

Same as rugby and soccer and every other sport.

If Rugby / Soccer opens for business in May and club GAA shows no sign of doing so.

You know what happens.

Id say we all  have lost big % of 16-19 year olds already as result of COVID, hope to be wrong on this

Louther

I can't see rugby or soccer been back before GAA. And would struggle to see many been lost across the sports that wouldn't return fairly quick. Rugby so technical, physical and other factors like travel etc, it not be as appealing to many.

The biggest risk to GAA in the 16-19 category is the new age structures and doing away it with u-18 minor. That's totally self inflicted and for life of me I can't see the benefits of it bar some high level elite players nor have I seen many actually talking in favour of it. This change and with covid will certainly risk losing players.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Louther on February 16, 2021, 11:50:34 AM
I can't see rugby or soccer been back before GAA. And would struggle to see many been lost across the sports that wouldn't return fairly quick. Rugby so technical, physical and other factors like travel etc, it not be as appealing to many.

The biggest risk to GAA in the 16-19 category is the new age structures and doing away it with u-18 minor. That's totally self inflicted and for life of me I can't see the benefits of it bar some high level elite players nor have I seen many actually talking in favour of it. This change and with covid will certainly risk losing players.

100%

michaelg

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:41:42 AM
What I find amazing is that in Ireland where rugby is a minority sport , a substantial number of players come from a private school background which is a tiny percentage vid the population, yet we can beat England and France and even wales who have much more resources . Fair play to Irfu for getting us punching above our weight, and marketing the game well. But where is Rugby in Ireland actually going, it's not widening its appeal , it's dangerous, elitist , and we are apparently getting worse at it

If the GAA doesn't get it's restart right after Covid. And Rugby does....there'll be a swell of GAA players turning to it. With the potential to actually make a few quid. This could be what propels rugby in Ireland. I play a bit of rugby myself and I've already had a few men come to me and ask about getting started when they go back to training as they won't wait for the GAA.

If Rugby / Soccer opens for business in May and club GAA shows no sign of doing so.

You know what happens.

Id say we all  have lost big % of 16-19 year olds already as result of COVID, hope to be wrong on this
I fear that participation in amateur sports is going to fall off a cliff post Covid i.e. Not just younger people.  People will  have got out of the habit of playing organised amateur sport and may not return to it.  This is likely to be particularly the case for guys with young families who are often the guys who struggled to get away to play every Saturday or Sunday pre Covid.

sid waddell

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 10:28:43 AM
No trophies=challenge or friendly to me, just my opinion, cricket isn't a sport really is it? Its more like a day out with scones and tea.
To you

But not to anybody who matters

Cricket is a wonderful sport

To many in Tipperary, hurling is a just a day out with hang sangwidges and tinfoil

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: michaelg on February 16, 2021, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:41:42 AM

You know what happens.

I fear that participation in amateur sports is going to fall off a cliff post Covid i.e. Not just younger people.  People will  have got out of the habit of playing organised amateur sport and may not return to it.  This is likely to be particularly the case for guys with young families who are often the guys who struggled to get away to play every Saturday or Sunday pre Covid.

There will also be the social issue....training on a Sunday morning for the GAA or Saturday night out?

I hope I am wrong. But for the GAA I see a disaster on return to play personally.

Louther

Will be many issues post covid for sports to content with, all sports but particularly GAA.

Juvenile level should be least affected. Parents will still see value in the games and physical/social activity, they may be more willing to miss training and games for personal times.

In older age groups and young adults it will be more difficult. There will be a lot feeling release or catch up on social life, parties, travel, holidays, weekends etc and you wouldn't blame them for doing so with no restrictions on place.

It's paramount that the GAA set their stall out and plan strategically for this. The split season offers one way of doing this - a clear planned club and county season would at least offer a clear plan for all. However I have little faith in them doing so and it'll left to the traditional draw to the games and community etc to hold onto players.
When I see a motion going to congress that teams must only appoint one captain for lifting trophies and it doesn't seem to be driven by Covid, then you have to wonder if they have finger on the pulse at all at HQ or higher committee level.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 12:20:34 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 10:28:43 AM
No trophies=challenge or friendly to me, just my opinion, cricket isn't a sport really is it? Its more like a day out with scones and tea.
To you

But not to anybody who matters

Cricket is a wonderful sport

To many in Tipperary, hurling is a just a day out with hang sangwidges and tinfoil

Ouch, I matter in my own wee head, that's most important

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:57:53 AM

100%

I think the logic used by the GAA was dubious in changing the age groups but minor was meant to be pushed out to U19 club wise but for some unknown reason they called U17 minor, club and county meaning kids are inclined to drop off at 17 rather than 18 using the other categories.
Not sure how many counties will be running a full U19 league and championship but we'll wait and see.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:57:53 AM

100%

I think the logic used by the GAA was dubious in changing the age groups but minor was meant to be pushed out to U19 club wise but for some unknown reason they called U17 minor, club and county meaning kids are inclined to drop off at 17 rather than 18 using the other categories.
Not sure how many counties will be running a full U19 league and championship but we'll wait and see.

Football maybe, hurling probably not in Derry anyhow

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-stats-too-often-irish-players-didn-t-look-and-therefore-didn-t-see-1.4487855

Rugby stats: Too often Irish players didn't look and therefore didn't see
Ireland need to encourage players to unscramble the pictures, to look and see

John O'Sullivan

Ireland's changeover from a team governed by detail under Joe Schmidt to a self-prescribed more freewheeling, heads up ethos under Andy Farrell is a journey with plenty of road left to negotiate in terms of the transition process judging by the opening couple of rounds in this season's Six Nations.
The current guidance system, to use a term to describe Ireland's patterns in possession, is vulnerable to two primary types of error, pilot or defects in the original specification. The national team is currently dogged by both which is causing the Irish attack to splutter and malfunction.
Two tries in 160 minutes, one down to a superb piece of individual play by Robbie Henshaw against Wales and Ronan Kelleher's sharp finish following a fortuitous bounce in the French defeat, is hardly a ringing endorsement but identifying the root cause shines a light in several places.
Pressure pushes instinct and habits, good or bad, to the forefront of the decision making process. Opportunity can challenge the individual in a similar way, that if a player doesn't look by inclination, he'll never see or appreciate the chance that's presented.

After 67 seconds of Sunday's game, Rhys Ruddock pinches a French lineout throw and the ball is filtered back to Billy Burns. The French centres, Gael Fickou and Arthur Vincent, are narrow and tight while Garry Ringrose is about eight metres further across the pitch. There is a huge gap between Vincent and left wing Gabin Villiere. The home team is briefly favoured by a five-on-three advantage. It's a pass play all day long.
Burns put up a Garryowen. The general rule of thumb on a turnover is to play not kick, unless there's no one in the back field and it's a winnable foot race. It doesn't matter what stage of the match, a predisposition to kick shouldn't be a default setting, especially for a team that trades on a heads-up philosophy.
Chameleon
No outhalf has the 360-degree vision of a chameleon so there are times when communication is paramount - there is no crowd noise so in theory it should be easier - from those who are better positioned to appreciate the panoramic view.
Soon after, the attacking system suffers a glitch. Keith Earls races in off the blindside wing from a scrum and carries into French outhalf Mathieu Jalibert and another defender. Tadhg Beirne comes round the corner but as France have had to squeeze in defensively, the space and numbers favour Ireland if the home side ignore Beirne and go out the back. They don't, he gets the ball, and France realign.

Later in the game Ringrose meanders across the pitch eating up his teammates' space, when he needed to run straight and commit a defender in what could ultimately have proved a try scoring opportunity. There were also other examples where Irish players posing as potential receivers overran the ball carrier or lacked the necessary animation to suggest they were a viable recipient.

What is perhaps most disappointing is that Ireland relied too much on the system or playbook - Jamison Gibson-Park's box-kick on the French 10 metre line with tighthead Andrew Porter as the main chaser was one glaring example where pre-plan overrides everything. Too often Irish players didn't look and therefore didn't see. Communication is fundamental to overcoming this handicap.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Estimator

Caelan Doris out for the foreseeable future because of concussion symptoms.
Ulster League Champions 2009

whitegoodman

Big worry for the player and Ireland.

I was hoping him and Leavy would have been back for the end of the 6 nations but that's been blown out of the water.  Two top players when fit.

seafoid

Quote from: Estimator on February 18, 2021, 06:36:18 PM
Caelan Doris out for the foreseeable future because of concussion symptoms.
Awful news

I read somewhere that he had 2 concussions last season
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU