Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: FermGael on December 13, 2019, 07:10:01 AM
Michelle wins FST by 57 votes.
More nationalist Mps now than unionist.

Only if you don't consider Alliance "small u" unioinist

trailer

SF and The DUP routed. A clear message sent. Get back to work.
More nationalist MPs yes, but a broad spectrum. Claire Hanna isn't in the same circles as Mickey Brady. But a good night for progressive positive politics.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 07:49:02 AM
SF vote seems well down % wise constituency by constituency (bar NB), not great either for the DUP. With knuckles firmly wrapped for both parties and influence gone in the UK the return of Stormont is a certainty.

Stormont will be up and going again very soon, SF and DUP have no influence whatsoever now with Tory majority.

Aristo 60

Would love to see SF and SDLP step aside in Lagan Valley next time out to see if Alliance could steal in on Sir Jeffrey.

Rossfan

Good result for Nationalists seat wise due to the Brit 1st past the post system but still behind on votes (36% to 41%).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Woeful day for Unionism, they need to reevaluate and reform but I don't think they are capable of either. No strategic plan or vision for the future but unionism by its very nature is negative, defensive and fearful so I'm not sure what they can do to stem the tide. Huge win for Finucane who fought a very good campaign, never took the bait in getting involved in the dirty politics and was rewarded at the polling booths, he is the future of SF. Eastwood has probably been SDLP's best leader since Hume and if Irish unity is to be realised it will need a strong SDLP to sell it to middle ground voters. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2019, 01:06:55 PM
Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted
Got it from a good source that Conor Murphy turned the leadership down. John O'Dowd or John Finucanne are probably the future. O'Neill puts me off SF, though I voted for them but that was more to do with not wanting to vote for Dolores Kelly who is worse than O'Neill. Colum Eastwood impresses me but he is alone in the SDLP.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 13, 2019, 09:11:43 AM
Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2019, 01:06:55 PM
Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted
Got it from a good source that Conor Murphy turned the leadership down. John O'Dowd or John Finucanne are probably the future. O'Neill puts me off SF, though I voted for them but that was more to do with not wanting to vote for Dolores Kelly who is worse than O'Neill. Colum Eastwood impresses me but he is alone in the SDLP.

Colum is yet to win me over, he is a good speaker, but he needs to sort SDLP out policy wise and prove he can deliver. I didn't vote for him this time but will keep a close eye on him and would never rule out voting for anybody.

bennydorano

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 13, 2019, 08:25:42 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 07:49:02 AM
SF vote seems well down % wise constituency by constituency (bar NB), not great either for the DUP. With knuckles firmly wrapped for both parties and influence gone in the UK the return of Stormont is a certainty.

Stormont will be up and going again very soon, SF and DUP have no influence whatsoever now with Tory majority.
Could see a bit of DUP stalling to force an Election (due by end of January if Stormont is not up and running) so they can parachute in Dodds & Pengelley as MLAs.

yellowcard

Arlene Foster wasn't long in stating that she was going nowhere when asked about her leadership. Jeffrey Donaldson on the other hand gave a slightly different answer when he refused to emplatically back her when given the chance to do so. I think it's only a matter of time before she is gone. 

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on December 13, 2019, 09:20:03 AM
Arlene Foster wasn't long in stating that she was going nowhere when asked about her leadership. Jeffrey Donaldson on the other hand gave a slightly different answer when he refused to emplatically back her when given the chance to do so. I think it's only a matter of time before she is gone.

She has a f**king brass neck and is probably the sole reason that the DUP are struggling at the minute. A more progressive leader after Robins could have seen them maintain their vote but nobody's buying the "don't feed the crocodile" politics she's selling.

Jesus the stunt they pulled about Finucane having to condemn the attack on Dodds 23 years ago was desperation stuff!!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 04:24:49 AM
My God, Sinn Fein destroyed by SDLP in Derry.  How much is that about McCallion, and how much is it a message that people did want a Brexit voice in Westminster?
McCallion is O'Neill lite and that's not good, but Anty Martina's Tiocfaidh Ar La's don't help.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2019, 09:03:02 AM
Good result for Nationalists seat wise due to the Brit 1st past the post system but still behind on votes (36% to 41%).

Think the two main unionist parties got 42.3% to 38.9% for Sinn Fein SDLP and aontu. The bigger thing is well over 50 per cent of people didn't vote for unionist parties. The traditional dominance is well gone.

Tyrone Dreamer

Over 55 per cent of voters didn't vote for unionist parties (counting alliance as neutral). That's a serious turnaround.

Rossfan

The tide is turning with the demographics, soon be 40/40/20.
SF/SDLP and the 26 Co Parties need to be seriously engaging with the 20 and "civic unionism" from now on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM