Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Quote from: yellowcard on December 13, 2019, 09:03:18 AM
Woeful day for Unionism, they need to reevaluate and reform but I don't think they are capable of either. No strategic plan or vision for the future but unionism by its very nature is negative, defensive and fearful so I'm not sure what they can do to stem the tide. Huge win for Finucane who fought a very good campaign, never took the bait in getting involved in the dirty politics and was rewarded at the polling booths, he is the future of SF. Eastwood has probably been SDLP's best leader since Hume and if Irish unity is to be realised it will need a strong SDLP to sell it to middle ground voters.

I'd have to agree with all of that yellow card. I thought Mike Nesbitt was very impressive last night, and reasonable with his commentary. It's a pity that unionists didn't back him when he was the uup leader.

John Finucane and Claire Hanna both spoke very well last night, Finucane in particular looks leadership material, Sinn Fein have a lot of work to do and north Belfast probably papers over a few cracks. In my opinion Mary Lou and Oneill need replaced at the top table.

Her hardcore stance regarding the abortion referendum in particular, nearly cost them in Fermanagh/south tyrone. I get the impression she hasn't learned any lessons though after a disaster showing in the council elections in the south.

yellowcard

Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2019, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 13, 2019, 08:21:49 AM
SF and The DUP routed. A clear message sent. Get back to work.
More nationalist MPs yes, but a broad spectrum. Claire Hanna isn't in the same circles as Mickey Brady. But a good night for progressive positive politics.
It was a very good election for Sinn Féin.

It was a very good election for John Finucane and broader nationalism. It wasn't a very good election for SF overall although it is clear that their objective of a UI is gaining growing support. If it is to be achieved then SF will have to be prepared to cede ownership of the campaign to a more moderate approach and to take a hit vote wise because the argument will be won or lost by the middle 20%. 

screenexile

More nationalist MPs yes, but a broad spectrum. Claire Hanna isn't in the same circles as Mickey Brady. But a good night for progressive positive politics.

Eh?? The only real success they had was Finucane who needed everyone else to withdraw from the race so he could win.

Otherwise they've seen their vote share drop across the board (more than the DUP actually) and a complete annihilation in Derry. . . hardly what you'd call a good election. It's not a catastrophe like the DUP but describing it as a good election is a stretch!!

cornerback

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 09:19:04 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 13, 2019, 08:25:42 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 07:49:02 AM
SF vote seems well down % wise constituency by constituency (bar NB), not great either for the DUP. With knuckles firmly wrapped for both parties and influence gone in the UK the return of Stormont is a certainty.

Stormont will be up and going again very soon, SF and DUP have no influence whatsoever now with Tory majority.
Could see a bit of DUP stalling to force an Election (due by end of January if Stormont is not up and running) so they can parachute in Dodds & Pengelley as MLAs.

One will be parachuted in in place of Carla Lockhart

johnnycool

I'd agree with that summation but that was purely based on Brexit and bloodying the nose of the DUP and their UDA lapdogs.
The Shinners will need more than that the next time there's an election which could be sooner rather than later.

Arlene will be thrown under the bus just after Christmas and before the RHI enquiry reports to allow the new DUP leadership to wash their hands of that particular scandal in that happened under the old regime and we're now so much better without them.

In England you gotta fear for the Northern vote that's taken Boris into No10 with such a huge majority.

IMO the voted for Brexit during Tory austerity as a way of kicking the ruling elite when none of their issues were anything to do with the EU and a lot of right wing shit stirring.

Kate Howie who I think is a horrible human being is probably right that Corbyn did OK in 2017 as he was still pro Brexit and then failed to understand his Northern electorate when they changed tack to second referendum and that obviously didn't wash in the face of Boris's focus group developed Get Brexit Done.
In all fairness to Corbyn was pushed down that route by his colleagues.

The UK will sneeze in economic terms and we'll catch the cold as they say, the wee six especially and the 26 won't go without impact either.

screenexile

If only trailer were the final arbiter of what a good election result is.

It's semantics I suppose I agree FST and North Belfast were a success but Derry and the drop in vote share of 6.7% would make it an OK election I guess.

Sportacus

Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

LeoMc

Quote from: cornerback on December 13, 2019, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 09:19:04 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 13, 2019, 08:25:42 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2019, 07:49:02 AM
SF vote seems well down % wise constituency by constituency (bar NB), not great either for the DUP. With knuckles firmly wrapped for both parties and influence gone in the UK the return of Stormont is a certainty.

Stormont will be up and going again very soon, SF and DUP have no influence whatsoever now with Tory majority.
Could see a bit of DUP stalling to force an Election (due by end of January if Stormont is not up and running) so they can parachute in Dodds & Pengelley as MLAs.

One will be parachuted in in place of Carla Lockhart
That will be a good indicator of whether Dodds or the UDA lead the party.

trailer

Not even SF think this was a good election for them.

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2019, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2019, 09:46:22 AM

Eh?? The only real success they had was Finucane who needed everyone else to withdraw from the race so he could win.

Otherwise they've seen their vote share drop across the board (more than the DUP actually) and a complete annihilation in Derry. . . hardly what you'd call a good election. It's not a catastrophe like the DUP but describing it as a good election is a stretch!!

Trailer set the criteria here...

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2019, 04:44:51 PM
Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2019, 01:06:55 PM
Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted

I certainly get the feeling the that SF in some constituencies will get a hit. If SF hold or even only lose one seat I think that can be called a very good election for them.

Even I didn't see the hammering in Derry and their vote share down across NI. It's a booting for their leadership, abstentionism and lack of work ethic.

johnnycool

Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

Who's going to be listening though?

Boris won't give a shit.

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2019, 10:05:04 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 13, 2019, 10:01:40 AM

Not even SF think this was a good election for them.
But you do. You said it twice.

Vote share down 6.7%

seafoid

Abstentionism during the negotiations for a UI would be unforgivable
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 13, 2019, 10:06:35 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2019, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2019, 09:46:22 AM

Trailer set the criteria here...

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2019, 04:44:51 PM
Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2019, 01:06:55 PM
Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted

I certainly get the feeling the that SF in some constituencies will get a hit. If SF hold or even only lose one seat I think that can be called a very good election for them.

Even I didn't see the hammering in Derry and their vote share down across NI. It's a booting for their leadership, abstentionism and lack of work ethic.
You set the criteria. They met them. Put the goalposts down.

There'll be some meeting in the felons club over this....

Mourne Red

Normally a Shinner voter myself but changed to Alliance this election. I have found there's a lot of talk and not a lot of action from them these past few years. Also it's pretty hard to stomach some of the people they have standing for the party nowadays. Michelle is party leader in the North but Mary Lou clearly doesn;t trust her as she's holding her hand at every party event, if there are Assembly elections I'd expect a disaster for Sinn Fein vote sharewise.. Expect Finucane to replace Michelle in the next 5 years, party is stagnating and needs an overhaul