Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 29, 2015, 06:36:59 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2015, 12:10:03 AM
The GAA should not introduce partition, that should be a core value in the organisation.

They use Euros in the south and Sterling in the north. Is that introducing partition?

Really? What a persuasive argument. If the UK joins the Euro can we have the flag back?

My suggestion is that if a body representative of all parts of Ireland adopts a different flag or anthem then the GAA will adopt this forthwith.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

The organisation is Irish. Silly suggestion.

Northern Ireland should stop playing GSTQ at this rate.

illdecide

A lot of these are taken out of perspective and they only use certain quotes to suit a head line, as someone stated the thread title is not exactly what he said. It won't happen anyway so i wouldn't get my kecks in a twist over it, Unionists would be put out of their estates if they were caught participating in GAA games. Fortunately in the 26 counties this is not the case.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theskull1

Exactly

Read what the man actually said rather than a twisted version of the truth

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

Fair play to you, Jarlath. It had to be Nixon who went to China. However, you have to do this because you think it'll be a good idea in itself, not in the expectation that the Prods will suddenly flock to the GAA. I remember Pat Fanning making the point around the time of the opening of Croke Park to forrin games that one of the reasons put forward for removing The Ban was that Gaelic games would be played in Protestant schools. Over forty years later and that still hasn't happened South of the border, let alone in the North. As ashman notes, there is complete overkill in the GAA regarding the flag and the anthem. Let's get rid of the requirement to have them at games because it's a bit naff. If the Prods embrace the GAA as a result, that's a bonus.

balladmaker

Any section of a community who are not attracted to a sport because of the playing of the anthem or flying of the flag of the country where the sport is founded, maybe they are not worth attracting.

ck

Well done Jarlath. More people in GAA need to take a leadership position and aim for inclusiveness.
There is a section of the community in the north (Unionists) who haven't the first clue who or what they are and the fact is they are as Irish as I am. They blindly latch on to "Britishness" like a child holds on to it's dummy. Only building bridges and reaching out will change this absolute ignorance.

Jarlath is simply opening the door to these people and taking away the excuses that pathetic and blinkered Unionist politicians like to hide behind. 

BennyCake

Quote from: ck on September 29, 2015, 10:15:44 AM
Well done Jarlath. More people in GAA need to take a leadership position and aim for inclusiveness.
There is a section of the community in the north (Unionists) who haven't the first clue who or what they are and the fact is they are as Irish as I am. They blindly latch on to "Britishness" like a child holds on to it's dummy. Only building bridges and reaching out will change this absolute ignorance.

Jarlath is simply opening the door to these people and taking away the excuses that pathetic and blinkered Unionist politicians like to hide behind.

Latching on to this Britishness will continue no matter how educated they become.

twohands!!!

I've heard more than enough rubbish performances of the National Anthem either via dodgy sound systems or singers with connections in poor weather conditions to last a lifetime.

My personal favourite is on those days when its windy and raining and you're standing still getting lashed out of it with the horizontal rain stinging your eyes and some sadist insists in playing the longest slowest version possible and you can pretty much feel the entire crowd reaction of "ah fer feck sakes" Really makes me proud to be Irish that does. Forget the Unionisr Protestants, I wonder how many Irish Catholic folk have been put off attending games after having to put up with those conditions.

imtommygunn

AZOffaly

I like the National Anthem at county finals or big games. I don't think it needs to be played before league games up and down the country, but I have no problem at county finals, and provincial and All Ireland finals.

ck

Quote from: BennyCake on September 29, 2015, 10:53:13 AM

Latching on to this Britishness will continue no matter how educated they become.

Wouldn't agree. Unionists get no leadership whatsoever. Their politicians have no long term strategy or vision unlike nationalists. The GAA can play it's part by being more inclusive and showing them what real culture and identity is all about

BennyCake

Quote from: ck on September 29, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 29, 2015, 10:53:13 AM

Wouldn't agree. Unionists get no leadership whatsoever. Their politicians have no long term strategy or vision unlike nationalists. The GAA can play it's part by being more inclusive and showing them what real culture and identity is all about

And I suppose Peter Robinson was patted on the back by his electorate for attending a GAA match? Educated or uneducated, many unionists will remain bigoted scum that will never partake in GAA related events.

I say forget about bending over backwards trying to accommodate unionists who will never be interested no matter what changes the GAA made. Focus on our own kids and supporters.

Shamrock Shore

Feck the lot of them.

As pointed out no matter what the GAA does it will never be enough for some.

Shur didn't one OWC poster here ages ago claim Croke Park needed to be renamed as it was named after a terrorist.

But as also pointed out if you are going to play the anthem before a match for Jazes sake can there not a daycent version to play over the tannoy. Have the same version for all grounds.
and stop wee Nothern lassies butchering it
and stop Longford Pipe band playing it.

And wash the feckin tricolours or replace them once a year.

Nothing worse then seeing some limpen dirty rag, torn and faded, flying.

Jinxy

I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.