Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Some of the proceeds from the event, which many see as another step on the road to a professional game, will go towards the Kerry Cancer Support Group and Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276148
[/quote]Some.
[/quote]
I heard today what the "some" or in this case "sum" is and a lot of lads are not happy. The GPA should make a statement or have they declared their position:
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

magpie seanie

He has gone down in my estimation based on what appear to be the facts of this dinner. I hope there's more to it than meets the eye.

sid waddell

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:53:34 PM
He has gone down in my estimation based on what appear to be the facts of this dinner. I hope there's more to it than meets the eye.
The rib-eye steaks are all going to be well done?

Syferus

Gooch is joining luminaries such as Aaron Rodgers and myself in Magpie Seanie's bad books.

Cooper has done nothing wrong and has nothing to even concern himself with here. Best thing he can do is ignore the people trying to throw stones and not get into a public spat over it, as Brolly so dearly wants him to.

Orchard park

And from talking to my Galway mates, he wasn't quite so outstanding vs Cavan.

Not knocking a minor but pointing out the tripe you trot.  Not saying the minor all star selectors got it right but they saw more minor football than you  maybe

Rossfan

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 25, 2017, 09:26:07 PM

Some of the proceeds from the event, which many see as another step on the road to a professional game, will go towards the Kerry Cancer Support Group and Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

Some.
[/quote]
I heard today what the "some" or in this case "sum" is and a lot of lads are not happy. The GPA should make a statement or have they declared their position:
[/quote]
I presume that as he's no longer a County footbalker he's no longer a member of the GPA?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Was he ever a member? If so I can't imagine he was popular considering he went against them when taking Lucozade money at the time the GPA had their deal with Club Energise. Another example of his greed.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2017, 10:03:02 PM
Gooch is joining luminaries such as Aaron Rodgers and myself in Magpie Seanie's bad books.

Cooper has done nothing wrong and has nothing to even concern himself with here. Best thing he can do is ignore the people trying to throw stones and not get into a public spat over it, as Brolly so dearly wants him to.

He may not have done anything wrong as you put it but he has shown us that's he's a money grabber and has little shame in it.

vallankumous

I was looking to see where tickets are for sale but don't see it anywhere. Any know?

I'm not going I just wanted to see the sales pitch.

Halfquarter

Very sorry to see the Gooch going down this road, find it hard to believe really,especially from a Kerryman.
I wonder who will be next up, Bernard Brogan maybe? He would sell a fair few tables.

brianboru00

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 25, 2017, 05:19:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 25, 2017, 05:17:28 PM
Let's say he clears a quarter of a million from this event, can he avail of the small gift scheme where any person can gift another up to €3k tax free in a year. If each individual was said to be gifting him the €500 then he could effectively walk away with all of the proceeds less whatever he gives to the 2 charities. It would make a huge difference to the total amount he will be able to trouser from running the event.
Colm Cooper won't have to pay tax on the money raised from his upcoming testimonial dinner.

It was reported yesterday that the Revenue Commissioners will not tax the estimated €250,000 that will be made from the event, which is the first of its kind for a GAA player. The cost of booking a table of 10 for the dinner on Friday, October 27 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Ballsbridge is €5,000.

Revenue confirmed money earned is not taxable where the player was not obliged - either "contractually or by custom" - to hold a testimonial.

Em . . . Though I'm not a qualified accountant I'd be 99.999% sure that this is complete and utter horseshite.
Whatever is earned here will of course be taxed. Its income pure and simple.

In simple terms I could receive €20000 as a gift when I retired as club chairman after 42 years in the job. I have not contract, there is no custom of giving such gifts - that does not mean I'm exempt from same.
The one situation where I think there is a blind eye turned is whereby someone receives money towards cancer treatment or similar >> and often times a charity is set up which is exempt from tax AFAIK.

But If Cooper earns €150000 then he'll have to pay the tax man €75 000 of that approximately...

yellowcard

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of Gooch's own decision, how can anybody feasibly justify charging €500 for the simple privilege of eating your dinner in the same room as a retired GAA player. I had a pint whilst standing in the same pub as Anthony Tohill not so long ago but luckily enough that was free. I know it's a big corporate affair and individuals will not be likely to be forking out the money but rather banks, insurance companies, investment firms etc but it's ludicrous the amount of money squandered by these firms when you consider the financial hardship some of these institutions put the people of the country through.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on September 26, 2017, 02:31:46 PM
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of Gooch's own decision, how can anybody feasibly justify charging €500 for the simple privilege of eating your dinner in the same room as a retired GAA player. I had a pint whilst standing in the same pub as Anthony Tohill not so long ago but luckily enough that was free. I know it's a big corporate affair and individuals will not be likely to be forking out the money but rather banks, insurance companies, investment firms etc but it's ludicrous the amount of money squandered by these firms when you consider the financial hardship some of these institutions put the people of the country through.
For a good while they couldn't afford a corporate box in Croker
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 26, 2017, 01:52:10 PM
Very sorry to see the Gooch going down this road......especially from a Kerryman.

He's following a proud mercenary tradition from that County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maiden1

Someone offered him 250000 to give a talk for a couple of hours.  He asked the guy organising it if he thought there would be enough people in Dublin willing to pay 500 EUR each.  Money for old rope he'd be mad not to.
There are no proofs, only opinions.