Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Syferus.

If I asked you to pen a list of matches won by teams without their identifiably best player, it would stretch from here to the sun.

If I asked you to pen a list of All Ireland championships won by teams who played the season without their identifiably best player, I'd guess you wouldn't need to borrow a pen.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2017, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 25, 2017, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2017, 01:56:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 01:47:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 12:20:02 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 09:47:24 AM
Yep Seanie.

Surely you'd accept that the difference in the noughties between Sligo being a D3/D4 side, and one that could beat D1 sides, was the presence of Eamon O'Hara?

That's an entirely different statement than "they're good enough to win games by themselves". Eamonn was brilliant, best I've ever seen in a Sligo jersey, but he was around a long time before we eventually won something. Kearins similarly though I never saw him play. No man can win a game "by themselves". They can be the best player on the pitch but without your 14 teammates you'll win zero.

Okay so it's the semantics you disagree with. It takes 15 players to field a team and at most of them or the races to make it competitive. But even at the highest level, one outstanding player can be the difference between winning and losing. Not just for their individual efforts but for how teammates raise their games and change their way of playing because of him. Maybe not "winning games by himself". But perhaps "the difference between winning and losing".

Syferus. We've just seen possibly the finest juvenile player in history, but you reckon his county would still win every game without him. Who am I to deny you an opinion, even if you're clearly mad?

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have beaten Derry without Clifford? Explain the first year they won the AI where he wasn't involved at all, then? Or his own first one when he was a kid? I cannot believe how willing you are to deify a single player when it's clear to anyone looking at Kerry that they built a conveyor belt of talent that extends far beyond a single player.

Take a step back on this one.

In fairness Sfyerus you name checked Evan Murphy of Galway as the outstanding minor of 2017 a few months ago........

I take it you need to have not seen him very much to say he's not outstanding. Stop trying to derail another thread.

i'm highlighting your appreciation of minors isn't the best. Murphy is a fine footballer, i have seen him play last year and this year and when you went highlighting him as the outstanding minor of the year a few months ago I also then name checked David Clifford .

not derailing just calling out keyboard waffle

yellowcard

Anyone involved at the coalface of clubs will realise the increasing difficulty of getting people to give of their free time in keeping clubs ticking over. Events like this only help alienate the elite county players from the grass roots. Most people I have spoken to have a major issue with this. Clubs often run events for players out of work following operations, for bereaved family members and communities come together if someone falls on difficult times. This is just a 'me me' attitude and I suppose people's opinions on this matter depends on your own personal philosophy to a large extent. To the best of my knowledge Gooch is not struggling financially. He appears not to be breaking any rules but it's the opportunistic 'take take' attitude that is most disappointing.     

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 12:03:22 PM
Should he avoid the lure of Oz, he will never need a student loan to complete his degree. He will never have to look for work and will hit 6-figures early in his career, for what will be a part time job (so long as he avoids injury). He will never again buy boots or gloves out of his own pocket.

But does anyone really think that one player in the Kerry squad will ever resent David Clifford benefitting in such a way from his ability? They after all each benefitted as much as you can in the game just from happening to be born in age group in his county. They'll have happy memories forever because of that
Do you not think there is more to sport than benefitting financially? Do you not think the amateur ethos needs protecting?

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 01:47:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 12:20:02 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 09:47:24 AM
Yep Seanie.

Surely you'd accept that the difference in the noughties between Sligo being a D3/D4 side, and one that could beat D1 sides, was the presence of Eamon O'Hara?

That's an entirely different statement than "they're good enough to win games by themselves". Eamonn was brilliant, best I've ever seen in a Sligo jersey, but he was around a long time before we eventually won something. Kearins similarly though I never saw him play. No man can win a game "by themselves". They can be the best player on the pitch but without your 14 teammates you'll win zero.

Okay so it's the semantics you disagree with. It takes 15 players to field a team and at most of them or the races to make it competitive. But even at the highest level, one outstanding player can be the difference between winning and losing. Not just for their individual efforts but for how teammates raise their games and change their way of playing because of him. Maybe not "winning games by himself". But perhaps "the difference between winning and losing".

Syferus. We've just seen possibly the finest juvenile player in history, but you reckon his county would still win every game without him. Who am I to deny you an opinion, even if you're clearly mad?

There's a big difference.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Syferus.

If I asked you to pen a list of matches won by teams without their identifiably best player, it would stretch from here to the sun.

If I asked you to pen a list of All Ireland championships won by teams who played the season without their identifiably best player, I'd guess you wouldn't need to borrow a pen.

I'm afraid this hypothetical isn't anywhere near as convincing as you think it is.

Esmarelda

I've been mulling this one over for a while as I wasn't sure what I thought of it.

Ultimately, however, I think I agree with Brolly, even though there's an element of hypocrisy in what he says, as is per usual with him.

Cooper is gaining financially from his status in the game following a great career. He is expending none of what made him great for this reward. I don't like it and it'd be great if Cooper saw this and reversed his decision to take some of the money.

screenexile

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 25, 2017, 03:50:31 PM
I've been mulling this one over for a while as I wasn't sure what I thought of it.

Ultimately, however, I think I agree with Brolly, even though there's an element of hypocrisy in what he says, as is per usual with him.

Cooper is gaining financially from his status in the game following a great career. He is expending none of what made him great for this reward. I don't like it and it'd be great if Cooper saw this and reversed his decision to take some of the money.

I don't think there is Joe makes no secret that he doesn't need any of the money he receives from the the GAA and quote me if I'm wrong but the fees he receives from SG and his Indo work is donated to charity. I think in this case he is on the right side of the argument.

A testimonial dinner for a player?? Seriously lads it's not like he's struggling and badly needs the money. I can understand people getting sick/falling on hard times and using the GAA to help out of course but this is greed and I don't agree with it!

seafoid

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 25, 2017, 03:50:31 PM

An awful lot of people put time and effort into mol an óige and they do it for free.
The GAA has a  turnover of €60m but the work put in could be worth €300m

https://youtu.be/yBZV_n2eRcM

The GAA never had money to.pay everyone. That is not the point of the GAA. The point is playing . And sometimes playing against the best. And bating them.

I presume CC won't be paying any of his u12/14/16/21 coaches for their time, advice or encouragement

yellowcard

Let's say he clears a quarter of a million from this event, can he avail of the small gift scheme where any person can gift another up to €3k tax free in a year. If each individual was said to be gifting him the €500 then he could effectively walk away with all of the proceeds less whatever he gives to the 2 charities. It would make a huge difference to the total amount he will be able to trouser from running the event.

Esmarelda

Quote from: yellowcard on September 25, 2017, 05:17:28 PM
Let's say he clears a quarter of a million from this event, can he avail of the small gift scheme where any person can gift another up to €3k tax free in a year. If each individual was said to be gifting him the €500 then he could effectively walk away with all of the proceeds less whatever he gives to the 2 charities. It would make a huge difference to the total amount he will be able to trouser from running the event.
Colm Cooper won't have to pay tax on the money raised from his upcoming testimonial dinner.

It was reported yesterday that the Revenue Commissioners will not tax the estimated €250,000 that will be made from the event, which is the first of its kind for a GAA player. The cost of booking a table of 10 for the dinner on Friday, October 27 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Ballsbridge is €5,000.

Revenue confirmed money earned is not taxable where the player was not obliged - either "contractually or by custom" - to hold a testimonial.

Some of the proceeds from the event, which many see as another step on the road to a professional game, will go towards the Kerry Cancer Support Group and Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276148

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Syferus.

Kerry 2014
Dublin 2016

That's two of the last four.

seafoid

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 25, 2017, 05:19:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 25, 2017, 05:17:28 PM
Colm Cooper won't have to pay tax on the money raised from his upcoming testimonial dinner.

It was reported yesterday that the Revenue Commissioners will not tax the estimated €250,000 that will be made from the event, which is the first of its kind for a GAA player. The cost of booking a table of 10 for the dinner on Friday, October 27 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Ballsbridge is €5,000.

Revenue confirmed money earned is not taxable where the player was not obliged - either "contractually or by custom" - to hold a testimonial.

Some of the proceeds from the event, which many see as another step on the road to a professional game, will go towards the Kerry Cancer Support Group and Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276148
Some.

Rossfan

How does an ex Co player creaming money from eejits put us on "the road to a professional game"?
We'll hardly get enough eejits to put up €70k p.a. for around 900 footballers and maybe 350 hurlers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: general_lee on September 25, 2017, 11:57:03 AM
This isn't something that sits well with me and while I'm quite sure the Gooch himself wasn't the brainchild behind it, I'm surprised someone with his modesty has agreed to it. Most high profile county players, especially in a county like Kerry, are more than well looked after. Jobs handed to them from sponsors, driving the latest Audi or BMW, not to mention the gear, meals, hotels, training facilities provided by their county boards and clubs and whatever else comes their way. Unless he's seriously in debt I can't really see any justification for this kind of thing in the GAA

Agree completely