Referee assaulted in Monaghan during a minor match

Started by Milltown Row2, May 14, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Gardai have been called in to investigate an alleged assault on a GAA referee during a match in Monaghan.

The alleged incident occurred during the course of a minor football league match in the county on Tuesday evening. The game was subsequently abandoned and complaints were made to the relevant authorities.

Truagh and Scotstown were the teams in action, and referee Xavier Coyle abandoned the match after allegedly being assaulted by an adult from Scotstown. County Board officials have refused to comment, but a spokesperson for Coyle's club Tyholland confirmed that an investigation has been launched.

A Garda spokesman added: "Garda at Monaghan are investigating an assault that took place at Lisseagh, Emyvale at approximately 20.30hrs on May 10. Anyone with information is asked to contact Monaghan Garda at 047 77200."

Crazy stuff, these guys should be banned from their club and from attending any GAA games in the future. I hope the lad gets charged and convicted
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lecale2

Not good. What ever happened the bollocks who ran on to the pitch and hit the ref with a hurl. It happened in Tipperary I believe.

tyroneman

Media frenzy (rightly so) over Lennon being attacked at the Celtic v Hearts game, yet little gets made of these incidents of spectators in the GAA coming over the wire - there is no difference except the perpetrator in this case took advantage during an amateur game where the referee had much less protection than a professional soccer manager (although it took Alan Thompson to stop the thug rather than the police).

Anyone found guilty of assaulting a ref should be banned for life. That includes players  - though they seem to be 'special cases' and only have to serve a few months on the sidelines.

Milltown Row2

I referee every week (underage) and you get a bit of abuse but after the match they usually shake hands, no problems.

But I certainly would press charges of assault if someone came on to the pitch and attacked me after/during a game.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farneylawd2011

I am from Monaghan and i know the man that did it and he is an absoulte nut job.I also believe from what i heard Scotstown minors have been pulled out of the league.