Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 30, 2020, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 30, 2020, 01:41:28 PM
Is there a statute of limitations on this?
The Pyramids were built by slave owners.

No they weren't
The Egyptians didn't have slaves?

Main Street

It's not all doom and gloom, Casement's legacy has gone up a few notches. He's too good for Antrim now.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LeoMc on June 30, 2020, 10:49:03 PM

No they weren't

At some points in the empire, they did. But not when the pyramids were built.

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on July 01, 2020, 08:29:13 AM
You just stick to Eoin O'Duffy there.
O'Duffy? vanished, nowhere to be seen, hardly a trace left behind since he's been airbrushed from history by Fine Gael with a stalanist efficiency.
And who wants to hear tales about a gay Garda commisioner in 1922 who loved to dress up for parades, with a bit of a drinking problem and a monaghan accent to boot?

J70

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 01, 2020, 02:02:08 PM

No they weren't

Does it matter in the context of this discussion?

No one is naming schools after Khufu or building statues to Ramses II or using flags or symbols from Ancient Egypt to make political points or intimidate.

Maybe someday our civilization will fall, a new one will rise, and ancient artifacts from our time will be looked on as archaeological curiosities rather than poisonous, still relevant, symbols from recent history.

LeoMc

Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2020, 02:27:36 PM

No they weren't

No one is naming schools after Khufu or building statues to Ramses II or using flags or symbols from Ancient Egypt to make political points or intimidate.

Maybe someday our civilization will fall, a new one will rise, and ancient artifacts from our time will be looked on as archaeological curiosities rather than poisonous, still relevant, symbols from recent history.

Is anyone using Mitchell or Wayne to make political points or to intimidate?

I am trying to figure out when something becomes a curiosity of history that we can look back on.

J70

Quote from: LeoMc on July 01, 2020, 03:53:00 PM

No they weren't

I am trying to figure out when something becomes a curiosity of history that we can look back on.

If I was a black person flying into John Wayne airport or lived in that town and was aware of his statements, I might have some questions as to why he continues to be honoured.

As for your second question, you think a vanished civilization that built pyramids 5000 years ago is as relevant to society today as the enslavement and discrimination of black Americans?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2020, 04:46:38 PM

No they weren't

If I was a black person flying into John Wayne airport or lived in that town and was aware of his statements, I might have some questions as to why he continues to be honoured.

As for your second question, you think a vanished civilization that built pyramids 5000 years ago is as relevant to society today as the enslavement and discrimination of black Americans?
Will black enslavement be ok in 5000 years?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2020, 05:42:38 PM

No they weren't

Will black enslavement be ok in 5000 years?

Obviously not.

Will airports, schools and army bases be named and statues recently erected and flags in use honouring black enslavement in 5000 years?

Milltown Row2

I don't know, I do know that Castlebar Mitchels will still be called Castlebar Mitchels  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Wonder did the moors enslave people ?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 01, 2020, 10:09:47 PM
Wonder did the moors enslave people ?

Google is your friend.

LeoMc

No they weren't

If I was a black person flying into John Wayne airport I might think he was an old racist, but I might not be that bothered as he was representative of his time. I might know he was not being celebrated because of his views but because of his acting career. I might think the call out culture was not real activisim, it was a way of people feeling righteous and good about themselves without doing anything real and I might know that not everyone was pure or perfect, that everyone has flaws, that ideas and opinions evolved and not everything looks great through the microscope of history but that we cannot whitewash history to our current norms.

Main Street

Quote from: LeoMc on July 01, 2020, 10:53:59 PM

No they weren't

If I was a black person flying into John Wayne airport I might think he was an old racist, but I might not be that bothered as he was representative of his time. I might know he was not being celebrated because of his views but because of his acting career. I might think the call out culture was not real activisim, it was a way of people feeling righteous and good about themselves without doing anything real and I might know that not everyone was pure or perfect, that everyone has flaws, that ideas and opinions evolved and not everything looks great through the microscope of history.
Interesting that John Wayne's son said that Big John would not have stood by while a police office strangled the life out of a person, he said he would have done the right thing and effectively intervened , that was how his Da lived his life. Not a quiet man after all.

J70

Quote from: LeoMc on July 01, 2020, 10:53:59 PM

No they weren't

If I was a black person flying into John Wayne airport I might think he was an old racist, but I might not be that bothered as he was representative of his time. I might know he was not being celebrated because of his views but because of his acting career. I might think the call out culture was not real activisim, it was a way of people feeling righteous and good about themselves without doing anything real and I might know that not everyone was pure or perfect, that everyone has flaws, that ideas and opinions evolved and not everything looks great through the microscope of history but that we cannot whitewash history to our current norms.

I agree that it some cases it is lazy activism. However, many of these statues and names and so on have been the subject of ongoing efforts for years. Just because all of a sudden there is a groundswell of awareness in the wake of George Floyd doesn't make it an invalid concern. Sometimes it takes single, large events to shift public opinion and change society for the better. Do you think Mississippi changing its flag was the correct thing to do, or should they have tried to hold on yet again and continued to honour the confederacy?

And how is making such changes "whitewashing" history? No one is going to forget the US Civil War or the worldwide slave trade or the fact that racism was and is a problem for black people. There are no statues to Hitler or use of the Nazi swastika except maybe in a few bigoted, white supremacist clubs, but no one is forgetting or diluting what he and his henchmen inflicted on the world.