Paying Money to Managers

Started by customsandrevenue, August 11, 2011, 12:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsandrevenue

See there are posts on the Board about large sums of money getting paid to managers. Have always wondered where this money would come from. How would it be paid? Would the manager pay tax on it? Does the County pay into a pension scheme for the manager and do they pay their part of having him as an employee? Or is it all shady and murky?
Surely with it all being about allegations, then the tax people could prove to the GAA if managers are being paid or not. In Belfast, even the money from the gaming machines has to be accounted for in all clubs and bars. Long gone are the days of Clubs putting 200 pounds 'tips' in the books for the bin men' and such sundries. You hear fellas complaining about paying someone 100 pounds and 'All he does is put them round the cones for half an hour.' Would take it though that trainers are allowed to be paid and would be in the books as such.

Bogball XV

Quote from: customsandrevenue on August 11, 2011, 12:39:24 PM
See there are posts on the Board about large sums of money getting paid to managers. Have always wondered where this money would come from. How would it be paid? Would the manager pay tax on it? Does the County pay into a pension scheme for the manager and do they pay their part of having him as an employee? Or is it all shady and murky?
Surely with it all being about allegations, then the tax people could prove to the GAA if managers are being paid or not. In Belfast, even the money from the gaming machines has to be accounted for in all clubs and bars. Long gone are the days of Clubs putting 200 pounds 'tips' in the books for the bin men' and such sundries. You hear fellas complaining about paying someone 100 pounds and 'All he does is put them round the cones for half an hour.' Would take it though that trainers are allowed to be paid and would be in the books as such.
the managers are self employed and invoice the club/county on a weekly basis.  They pay their own tax in the same way any self employed person does.  As for how the county/club account for the money, who knows, but it's a legitimate deductible expense (not that they should be paying tax anyway).

Rossfan

I'm trying to keep a straight face reading the above 2 posts ...  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sure everyone knows they only get legitimate travel expenses of 60(?) Cent per mile .
Mind you some of them have a long way to travel and sure you'd have 4 or 5 training sessions a week not to mention maybe a game or two.
Then sure you'd have to be scouting around the County at club games when the County team would be finished.
I'd say they'd burn out a few cars per annum  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

AhJaysusRef

What everyone wants to know is how much in hard money are managers being paid. Simple as that. No round the house stories about miles and training weekends, expenses.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: customsandrevenue on August 11, 2011, 12:39:24 PM
how much are ya offering ?
what level are your team at ?
;) :D

ck

Bottom line is that very few know for certain as to who is getting paid what. There are educated guesses and others who dont hide the fact however I do know for certain that at least one Ulster county manager doesnt even accept travel expenses.

McGeeney, Banty, Justin McNulty, Baker Bradley etc will all have an arrangement with their respective county boards.
Many clubs also payout. Jody Gormley was said to have been getting £400 per week at Longstone in Down. They just avoided relegation and he was offered £200 per week this year. They lost their first 4 league games and Jody was let go!

I think the range between those getting paid and those not taking a penny is very large. My view is that you usually get what you pay for. A paid man will not guarentee success but he will usually be better than the non paid homegrown talent. Just my take on it.

Bogball XV

Quote from: ck on August 11, 2011, 10:48:19 PM
Bottom line is that very few know for certain as to who is getting paid what. There are educated guesses and others who dont hide the fact however I do know for certain that at least one Ulster county manager doesnt even accept travel expenses.

McGeeney, Banty, Justin McNulty, Baker Bradley etc will all have an arrangement with their respective county boards.
Many clubs also payout. Jody Gormley was said to have been getting £400 per week at Longstone in Down. They just avoided relegation and he was offered £200 per week this year. They lost their first 4 league games and Jody was let go!
I think the range between those getting paid and those not taking a penny is very large. My view is that you usually get what you pay for. A paid man will not guarentee success but he will usually be better than the non paid homegrown talent. Just my take on it.
What about compensation, did they pay up the rest of his contract?

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

For expenses he hadn't yet incurred?  :P
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on August 11, 2011, 11:15:14 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

For expenses he hadn't yet incurred?  :P
He could have bought and filled up a diesel tank at the house in advance or even invested a nice new prius in order to keep mileage expenses low.

Stevie g 8

the going rate was around 100euro a training session,i,d imagine its down a bit now.most club players dont like a local man doing it which is normally free and think an outsider brings somthing special which in turn puts pressure on clubs to get a outsider.

J OGorman

who is this?

heffo

Quote from: J OGorman on August 12, 2011, 10:50:00 AM

who is this?

Harte?

AhJaysusRef

It baffles me how managers can openly talk about 'having one year left on their contract' and 'signing contract extensions'. In a game that is hypothetically amateur I can't understand how someone can speak in this manner without any questions or queries from the top dogs in the GAA. Surely you don't sign a contract to do something for free. What was the point of Padraic Duffy investigating payments if it is well known fact that most coaches and managers are getting paid.

Bogball XV

Quote from: AhJaysusRef on August 12, 2011, 10:58:51 AM
It baffles me how managers can openly talk about 'having one year left on their contract' and 'signing contract extensions'. In a game that is hypothetically amateur I can't understand how someone can speak in this manner without any questions or queries from the top dogs in the GAA. Surely you don't sign a contract to do something for free. What was the point of Padraic Duffy investigating payments if it is well known fact that most coaches and managers are getting paid.
being serious (for the first time on this thread), I have always wondered about this too - I mean what sort of a contract has been signed?  I'm not even talking about money here, I'm just wondering are contracts actually signed by inter-county managers or is it a case that they say they'll take the job for a certian period?  Are travel expenses and other coaching/physio etc allowances and conditions written out or is it all word of mouth?