Dublin V Kerry 28/08/16 3.30pm RTE/SKY.

Started by The Aristocrat, August 08, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on August 22, 2016, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2016, 09:03:05 PM
My Kerry mole tells me that Donaghy and Geaney will play inside.

O Donoghue will be put on O Sullivan to distract him from his sweeping role.

Moran and Maher midfield with Buckley named 13 put playing out around hf line with Murphy and Walsh.

He expects Marc to play 6.

He is surely winding you up. How do you put a former player of the year onto the oppositions sweeper to occupy him.

I'd imagine play him around the 40 to distract O'Sullivan?

yellowcard

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 22, 2016, 09:56:31 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 22, 2016, 09:46:11 PM

Moran and Maher midfield with Buckley named 13 put playing out around hf line with Murphy and Walsh.

He is surely winding you up. How do you put a former player of the year onto the oppositions sweeper to occupy him.

I'd imagine play him around the 40 to distract O'Sullivan?

Now I know Fitzmaurice is a very pragmatic coach but to put your best forward onto the opposition sweeper simply to distract him would be mental. Mightn't sit too well in Kerry either if they reduce themselves to this sort of mindset.

Zulu

I'd imagine the thinking behind that would be to put a guy on the sweeper who the sweeper would have to mark and therefore that would have to be a scorer. The problem with that is it's the defending team who decide the match ups.

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2016, 10:39:01 PM
I'd imagine the thinking behind that would be to put a guy on the sweeper who the sweeper would have to mark and therefore that would have to be a scorer. The problem with that is it's the defending team who decide the match ups.

The thing is if O Donoghue stays just beyond the D and does his stuff from there what does Dublin do?

Hound

That would mean not only Gooch kept in reserve, but both Darran O'Sullivan and Stephen O'Brien dropped.

I'd be surprised (although would be very interesting as the "twin tower" approach has been much talked about as a possible way of getting at Dublin, but hasn't really been tried by anyone, and it would leave a strong fast bench for a 2nd half change of plan).

Although if it did happen as outlined I don't think it would necessarily clog up Cian O'Sullivan. McMahon, Byrne and Cooper would pick up Donaghy, Geaney and JOD - allowing COS to sweep in front (one or both of Murphy and Buckley would drop back and not be followed).

I wonder would Sheehan not be more likely to be picked than Buckley, given he'd be more reliable with the placed ball?

easytiger95

Got the ticket last night - very excited as I won't be able to make a possible final - and sure playing Kerry at any stage is the game of the season.

I said after last year's AIF that you could have replayed the game 10 times and you would have still gotten the same results. The two games in the league this year were comprehensive for Dublin, but I'm still nervous. Somebody, sometime, has got to figure out how to get at a Dublin defence shorn of three All Stars (not at all sure that McCarthy will start).

That said, Kerry's problems are much of their own making. Fitzmaurice should have dropped a load of players off the squad after their win in 2014 - O Se, Donaghy, O'Mahony, Sheehan etc should have rode off into the sunset, leaving space to bring through new fellas. As it is, Fitzmaurice is far too loyal to lads he has soldiered with. I honestly think if they start Marc, they will get hockeyed. He was a fabulous defender, but when the legs go, they don't come back.

Kerry have the firepower but perhaps not the platform to build from. Dublin obviously have the forwards and if midfield and a patched up HB get motoring, then it is us by five. IF Kerry can figure out a way to build on limited possession and get Geaney in the game quicker then it could be closer.

Cannot wait.

Rossfan

Good news for Kerry.
Syfín has announced on stolensheep that Dublin will hammer "Mayo" in the Final. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Probably the best thing for Kerry will be good beating . This will lead to a proper clear out .  Last year they dodged a bullet .

joemamas

Quote from: ashman on August 24, 2016, 07:21:44 PM
Probably the best thing for Kerry will be good beating . This will lead to a proper clear out .  Last year they dodged a bullet .

Attended the All-Ireland last year and league final this year. Dublin could and should have been out of sight by halftime in both.
Q what has changed. From league final O Donohue in for Kerry, Macarthy out for Dublin. any other reason Kerry will make it closer.
Donahy full forward ? Buckley acting as a spoiler for an hour.
Struggling to figure out how Kerry will win other than Dublin going down to fourteen early.
Maybe over simplistic

Redhand Santa

You could argue that the league will have little bearing on this weekend. Its hard to know how much Kerry were really going for it at that stage. Last year Kerry were poor and still only lost by 3. And this year Dublin are the defending champions which makes it that bit tougher. Would not be surprised if Kerry turn them over. But I think if they'll have to push up and go for it rather than relying on an overly defensive system.

Mclf

Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2016, 07:16:09 PM
Good news for Kerry.
Syfín has announced on stolensheep that Dublin will hammer "Mayo" in the Final. ;D

Mayo's name is on the cup so, but he will be delighted with that, who wouldn't want to see their county win the all ireland

JoG2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 25, 2016, 08:27:44 AM
You could argue that the league will have little bearing on this weekend. Its hard to know how much Kerry were really going for it at that stage. Last year Kerry were poor and still only lost by 3. And this year Dublin are the defending champions which makes it that bit tougher. Would not be surprised if Kerry turn them over. But I think if they'll have to push up and go for it rather than relying on an overly defensive system.

Agreed.  I think Kerry will and will pip Dublin by a point or 2.  Sheehan from dead balls,  JOD,  PG,  Gooch,  Donaghy on the edge of the square.  If it all clicks, and Kerry do go for it,  this could be a mighty shootout. 

PS : Roscommon fans are mad hooers

heffo

Quote from: joemamas on August 25, 2016, 04:38:55 AM
Quote from: ashman on August 24, 2016, 07:21:44 PM

Macarthy out for Dublin.

McCarthy available for selection

Fuzzman

Like he was available for the last Donegal game too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-statistics-mixing-the-short-with-the-long-can-solve-kerry-s-kickout-conundrum-1.2767418

I too think Kerry had no interest in winning that league final and they knew it was all about meeting Dublin in the AI semi final. Kerry have always adapted to how other teams have beaten them over the years and have changed their style of football hugely from the 80s and 90s.

A lot of Dublin's success comes from having a lot of possession and attacking at pace with so many talented forwards (and MF and defenders) all able to kick scores. They have an excellent free taker in Rock now also, so discipline in the tackle is crucial and then there is their strongest weapon which is their sub bench which is unleashed in the final 15-20 mins.
I have a feeling Kerry will try something different this time and if they come out all guns blazing and go into a good lead then they will put Dublin into a place they are not used to being in. The last time we saw something like that was when Donegal scored those goals against them in 2014 and suddenly Dublin started missing good scoring chances and their confidence was gone.
I think if Kerry try to "stay with them" for 50 mins then they will fall into the trap many others have and then the Dublin cavalry will come in to save the day.

dublin7

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 25, 2016, 10:19:06 AM
Like he was available for the last Donegal game too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-statistics-mixing-the-short-with-the-long-can-solve-kerry-s-kickout-conundrum-1.2767418

I too think Kerry had no interest in winning that league final and they knew it was all about meeting Dublin in the AI semi final. Kerry have always adapted to how other teams have beaten them over the years and have changed their style of football hugely from the 80s and 90s.

A lot of Dublin's success comes from having a lot of possession and attacking at pace with so many talented forwards (and MF and defenders) all able to kick scores. They have an excellent free taker in Rock now also, so discipline in the tackle is crucial and then there is their strongest weapon which is their sub bench which is unleashed in the final 15-20 mins.
I have a feeling Kerry will try something different this time and if they come out all guns blazing and go into a good lead then they will put Dublin into a place they are not used to being in. The last time we saw something like that was when Donegal scored those goals against them in 2014 and suddenly Dublin started missing good scoring chances and their confidence was gone.
I think if Kerry try to "stay with them" for 50 mins then they will fall into the trap many others have and then the Dublin cavalry will come in to save the day.

Kerry definitely wanted to beat Dublin in the league final.  All the talk before hand was how Kerry were determined to get revenge for the All Ireland final defeat and would be more determined to win.  Now all of a sudden Kerry didn't really care about the league final.  For Kerry to win they need speed in the midfield half forward/back lines as Dublin have wiped them out there in the last few games.  O'Mahony and O'Se don't have the legs to stay with the dublin forwards anymore and shouldn't start.

From a Kerry point of view they were poor in defence and gave up several goal chances to Tipp and Clare in their last 2 games. Won't get away with that against Dublin.