Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

One decent display this year and we're in the final. That display should keep expectations in check.

joemamas

Thought Brolly's eyes to heaven when the rest of the panel was talking about Mayo's chances for the all Ireland was incredibly disrespectful to a bunch of very dedicated footballers

cicfada

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 21, 2016, 05:23:37 PM
One decent display this year and we're in the final. That display should keep expectations in check.
If you're coming home for it, we must meet up ?? Maybe a certain Donegal man could take a trip south as well??

yellowcard

Expectation from Mayo will be low from Mayo going into the final. However they have an extra week to prepare and size up their opponents which is an advantage. Nobody is any the wiser as to what level Mayo are at but they will have to improve if they are to have any chance of winning Sam. Is the last survivor from 51 still alive?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: cicfada on August 21, 2016, 05:40:04 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 21, 2016, 05:23:37 PM
If you're coming home for it, we must meet up ?? Maybe a certain Donegal man could take a trip south as well??

I wont be home Cic, just back after a month in Ireland. School has already started here so not like the old days before kids when I could head home anytime. Hope that you're all well in Cork, say hello to your speedster wife  ;)

AZOffaly

Disappointed that their journey is over, but I think they showed enough there to give optimism for going forward. I've said all year that the lads missing would have given that extra quality, so the real positive for Tipp is that, assuming they get at least 5 or 6 of the absentees back, there will be serious competition for places next year. They have to bank this, move on and concentrate on getting promotion.

For me, I thought Tipp did very well at times, but at other times Mayo's physicality in the tackle was a real difference. The kickouts were generally good, but when Mayo cranked up the pressure before half time, Comerford couldn't find a guaranteed target, and that ratcheted up the pressure even more. That said, I thought they regrouped well at half time, and they hung around until the second goal which obviously killed the game. The first goal, which kick started the Mayo spurt before half time was as a result of a silly error, but it was an error which had been planted by the way Mayo put the body in on those tackles. They are very strong, division 1 strong, in the tackle, and I got the sense that that is the one thing that Tipperary were not able to handle.  It forced Tipp to be very lateral and uncomfortable on the ball at times, when they have shown admirable composure all year up until then.

For me, the black card was a vital moment, because of the depth issue, and it was silly by Robbie, and a definite black.

The red, too, looked harsh initially, but RTE showed a different angle, and I think Bill may have punched McLoughlin in the stomach, so that was probably a red too.

All told, from a Tipperary perspective, this was a great run but will only be great in the long term if they build on it. They have the ammunition to do so, and the work is still being done, so I'm optimistic and more than that, I am confident.

As for Mayo, I really, really hope they go on and do it. Andy Moran is class when his legs are going. Diarmuid O'Connor is still not himself, and Cillian O'Connor, in my opinion, is still a level below the really top forwards in the game. Aidan O'Shea is a beast of a man, but I think they need to give him a role, probably out around the middle, and let him settle into the game there. This lark of moving him around seems to be on a pre-planned basis, and with a player like that I think they should be a bit more willing to let him dominate games in a given position, and only go in as the target man if he needs a rest or something.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

highorlow

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2016, 05:24:50 PM
Rhus to win by 5.

Ahem  ;)
Tommy Tom appalling again -"Black cards shouldn't be given after 8 minutes" FFS!!!
Rhubarbs will be happy to be in AI Final and written off after a few months of stuttering performances.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mclf

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
Dublin have such an easy route to win back-to-back AIs. Mayo will not trouble them.

I would be very worried now if I was a dub because as everyone knows Sufferus doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to gaa or anything else for that matter.

highorlow

Not alone will it be the greatest embarrassment of all time it will be one on the modern shocks if Dublin don't do the 2 in a row.

Good luck to them. I'm dreding the final. Our only hope is that Kerry do some serious injuries to ye.

yellowcard

The main talking point from that semi final was the performance of Tommy Tom Carr on co commentary. A bluffer of the highest degree.

Cunny Funt

Peter Acheson played through todays game with a broken hand. A tough cookie.