Galway v Tipperary AIQF 31/07/16

Started by Duine Eile, July 25, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: mouview on July 31, 2016, 10:14:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
It is a fantastic result for Tipp. Quinlivan must be assured of an All Star.

From a Galway perspective if I had been told they would win Connacht at the start of the year I would have taken it.
At least they are going in the right direction. The team is fairly young and if they learn from this they might do something.  
The football is going to be fairly open for the next few years .

They're not Seaf. All my early-season pessimism is back in abundance - they really, really are a bad team, most particularly in defence. For all the talk about systems, sweepers, unsuitable football style etc., the simple fact remains that you can do nothing with poor quality players, of which we have too many. The hiding that the FB line got had been warned about and was coming in the c'ship, just don't know how we escaped Connacht without getting it. Did any defender even break even with their immediate opponent?

I don't know if KW will continue for another year, I think he will, but he might as well tear up the script and start from scratch again. It's not his fault that the quality of player at his disposal is dreadful, the wretched state (and structure) of the club scene is a large contributor to this. However he's always been far too slow to make changes when games turn against him; he should have done something at HT today instead of waiting until 10 mins of the second half when the game was practically gone.

Finally, great congrats to Tipp. They showed scant regard to any supposed 'reputation' Galway had and played with great assurance and style. What would they be like with a full complement of available players? Let's hope their hurlers are as compliant as our footballers were in 2 weeks time!

Anthony Cunningham is the man for the job.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mouview

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2016, 11:57:36 PM
Quote from: mouview on July 31, 2016, 10:14:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
It is a fantastic result for Tipp. Quinlivan must be assured of an All Star.

From a Galway perspective if I had been told they would win Connacht at the start of the year I would have taken it.
At least they are going in the right direction. The team is fairly young and if they learn from this they might do something.  
The football is going to be fairly open for the next few years .

They're not Seaf. All my early-season pessimism is back in abundance - they really, really are a bad team, most particularly in defence. For all the talk about systems, sweepers, unsuitable football style etc., the simple fact remains that you can do nothing with poor quality players, of which we have too many. The hiding that the FB line got had been warned about and was coming in the c'ship, just don't know how we escaped Connacht without getting it. Did any defender even break even with their immediate opponent?

I don't know if KW will continue for another year, I think he will, but he might as well tear up the script and start from scratch again. It's not his fault that the quality of player at his disposal is dreadful, the wretched state (and structure) of the club scene is a large contributor to this. However he's always been far too slow to make changes when games turn against him; he should have done something at HT today instead of waiting until 10 mins of the second half when the game was practically gone.

Finally, great congrats to Tipp. They showed scant regard to any supposed 'reputation' Galway had and played with great assurance and style. What would they be like with a full complement of available players? Let's hope their hurlers are as compliant as our footballers were in 2 weeks time!

Anthony Cunningham is the man for the job.

Limerick, I hear. Be like Cyril Farrell going to Wexford so many years ago.

Captain Obvious

This Tipperary senior run reminds me of their run in 2011 at minor level. Back then they were congratulated by all for doing so well however at the same time they written off the further they went. Played Dublin in the All Ireland final and weren't given a hope, could history repeat itself now at senior level?

Stranger things have happened and 2016 has been the year of team sport shocks.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 01, 2016, 02:15:31 AM
This Tipperary senior run reminds me of their run in 2011 at minor level. Back then they were congratulated by all for doing so well however at the same time they written off the further they went. Played Dublin in the All Ireland final and weren't given a hope, could history repeat itself now at senior level?

I can only think of Portugal (a sorta shock) and Leicester as the shocks of the year! what were the others?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2016, 09:14:37 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 01, 2016, 02:15:31 AM

I can only think of Portugal (a sorta shock) and Leicester as the shocks of the year! what were the others?

Connacht in the Pro 12
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Liam Kearns in the IT

"Galway were playing a system and we felt if we broke it down they would have to come out to us. They did. Once they did we figured we would get more chances."

It doesn't look like the Galway management did any interviews

It's a great boost for Tipp football people like Effin Eddie and Peter Lambert who were there in the days when nothing happened. 

From the Bunker

Tipperary are 28/1 for to win the AI!

Has there ever been a semi-finalist priced so high. Leitrim in 1994?

The Trap

Tony, IF (big IF) Tyrone do play Tipp, it is not revenge for the under 21 final they would need to think about but the 12 point hammering they got in Thurles last year when they had all their "missing" men playing. I like the fact that Tipp won yesterday as much as the next man and it ranks beside Fermanagh and Wexford reaching the semi in recent years. However one semi final will be very lobsided and add to the woes of this years championship. The whole year of gaelic games comes down to this Saturday, a possible Dublin v Kerry semi final and the All Ireland final.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2016, 09:48:04 AM
Tipperary are 28/1 for to win the AI!

Has there ever been a semi-finalist priced so high. Leitrim in 1994?
Down in 91 would have been a fairly decent price

seafoid

Respect comes slowly. Not even after putting Cork away did Kearns feel it was given.
"How could Cork lose? They have so much talent. To lose to Tipperary is a disgrace. We got no credit at all for that game. Bit more for the Derry win but we were boxed off as the romance, ourselves and Clare. But as I said to the lads, 'The script here is we are to drift away after today and be happy for our day in the sun but we are not going to read the script'."

ballinaman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 29, 2016, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Anyone have more info on Declan Kyne? How old is he roughly and did he feature underage? Interested because a Gawlay footballer (not on panel now) told me prior to the Mayo game that he didn't rate him at all..

Was standing out in games for me but when you analyse his positioning when the team is pushed up he plays too far in front of his man. He will be caught out by a team who can accurately kick pass over the top.
Good shout Croi, roasted.

sligoman2

Thank you Tipp and Galway for reminding me that Gaelic Football can be an enjoyable game to watch.  Probably the most enjoyable and open game this year - It would be great if other teams took a page out of Tipps book and just played football instead of the blanket garbage....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck

I'm surprised that people are surprised that Tipp are where they are. A. They have not beaten anyone worth talking about and B. They have a team with lads who have played in an u21 final and have minor all Ireland medels. So there's no questioning their quality. Now if they win the next day we can do the whole elation thing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on August 01, 2016, 08:56:10 PM
I'm surprised that people are surprised that Tipp are where they are. A. They have not beaten anyone worth talking about and B. They have a team with lads who have played in an u21 final and have minor all Ireland medels. So there's no questioning their quality. Now if they win the next day we can do the whole elation thing.
You do realise the Cork,Galway teams they beat had won as much if not more at underage level as Tipperary had?

tippabu

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 01, 2016, 08:52:46 PM
Thank you Tipp and Galway for reminding me that Gaelic Football can be an enjoyable game to watch.  Probably the most enjoyable and open game this year - It would be great if other teams took a page out of Tipps book and just played football instead of the blanket garbage....

The derry match would probably go down as a better match in terms of eveness and drama......this isnt me getting carried away but we completely blew galway away yesterday. It was the type of performance dublin give while brushing teams aside only we werent anywhere near as clinical and didnt have our shooting boots on, without exaggerating we could really have scored 6-20+.......im obviously not stupid enough to be comparing ourselves to dublin in terms of quality and it was as much down to galway but we were brilliant yesterday from 1 to 15. Our kickouts were absolutely spot on, thats something thats really had to been worked on all this year, evan always has had a big boot but the accuracy yesterday was pin point apart from maybe one kickout. Mayo or tyrone wont allow us the same time on the ball (over 60% possession) and we certainly wont run through them at will like we did to galway, confidence is sky high at the minute, it will be very interesting to see if we can raise our game against a team who bring a much higher level of intensity