2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Unfortunately Emmet Bolton's petulant kick on Diarmuid O Connor has put paid to O Connor's chances unless he has a mighty final. One of the nastiest incidents of the year. Unpunished and really set back O Connor when he was flying. He gave some of the best performances I ve seen in U21 grade this year.

INDIANA

Kerry have two nailed on. Moran and Geaney. Shane Enright has a shot.

Mayo have four nailed on. Keegan ( as ever), Andy moran and AOS and Boyle.

Tipp have two nailed on. Comerford and Quinlivan

Dublin have five nailed on . Cooper, COS , Fenton, Connolly and Kilkenny.

So there are two up for grabs in the final

moysider

A decent final and McMenamin will get one. His career deserves one as well. His sub role probably cost him in the past. You have to admire how he never sulked about not starting and always made a massive impact.

Another good performance by Rock could see him get one too.

Higgins has been good as well but hasn't really played corner back much this year. Paul Murphy has also played in the forwards and should not be accommodated in the backs imo.

Second mid-field position up for grabs. Fenton a gimmie.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2016, 11:01:26 PM

Unfortunately Emmet Bolton's petulant kick on Diarmuid O Connor has put paid to O Connor's chances unless he has a mighty final. One of the nastiest incidents of the year. Unpunished and really set back O Connor when he was flying. He gave some of the best performances I ve seen in U21 grade this year.
You think? Diarmuid O Connor U21 performances were less than vintage in Connacht this year his best game was against average Dublin team where Con O'Callaghan was probably the best forward on the field as he carried his side. In the AI final Loftus,Coen,Ruane,Irwin all played better than O Connor did IMO

TF15

if Peter Harte doesn't get one this year it'll be a disgrace.

Syferus

If he's not fit he shouldn't be on the field and the manager is a proper joker in that case - hence we have to assume he's been fit. Looks more like the lost kid he did in his first two years at senior than the player he looked v Dublin last year. Like his brother consistency from play is an issue and unlike his brother he doesn't have frees to paper over the cracks.

Doesn't deserve an All-Star even if he was MotM in the final imho.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2016, 12:30:58 AM

If he's not fit he shouldn't be on the field and the manager is a proper joker in that case - hence we have to assume he's been fit. Looks more like the lost kid he did in his first two years at senior than the player he looked v Dublin last year. Like his brother consistency from play is an issue and unlike his brother he doesn't have frees to paper over the cracks.

Oh dear. You obviously cannot make a distinction between fit and coming back from injury and getting up to speed and form.
Unfortunately in Mayo we don't have a conveyor belt of forward talent like Roscommon does and we have to go with players that are not quite at their best.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2016, 01:01:48 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2016, 12:30:58 AM

Oh dear. You obviously cannot make a distinction between fit and coming back from injury and getting up to speed and form.
Unfortunately in Mayo we don't have a conveyor belt of forward talent like Roscommon does and we have to go with players that are not quite at their best.

If he's not fit - and fit means being able to play football at a high level not being physically fit - so if you're telling me he wasn't ready to go you've indicted Rochford. There's two options - Rochford is playing players who shouldn't be starting or the player in question is having trouble maintaining form. I thought he had a quiet U21 championship bar the Dublin match too.

We learnt our lessons about playing injured players this year and a lot of people clamouring for the lads not fit enough to start were somehow surprised when the same lads didn't make an impact when thrown on against Clare..

Hound

Not sure so many "nailed on" as mentioned above, or at least as mentioned. Half back line in particular is an absolute mine field - there will be top players who miss out.

James McCarthy was arguably (and in my opinion) the best player in the country, and certainly the leading half back, for the duration of the league. Injury has set him back in the queue, but a big final and he'll be a massive contender.

Lee Keegan had a poor Connacht championship, and a poor first 20 minutes v Tipp, and I think people have him nailed on because of his name (bear in mind I do think he is the best wing back in the country) but for me, based purely on this year I think he still has some work to do in the final to pass out Harte and McHugh - although one of the latter could perhaps be accommodated at half forward.

Colm Boyle was easily Mayo's best player in Connacht, but has been quieter in the back-door. But again a big final and he's right in contention. Also for the Dubs, Cian O'Sullivan has strolled through the championship, but when the muck hit the fan on Sunday, he stepped up in fantastic style. Like Keegan, if you were picking an Ireland GAA XV to play a match, he'd be a cert starter, but would need a good final to get an All Star in my view. 

Meanwhile Paddy Power make Paul Murphy the number 1 favourite for a half back spot, ahead of all the above mentioned!

Not sure about Quinlivan being a cert. Does he not hit too many wides? With the Tipp keeper now looking very good, that could be all Tipp get (along with a few nominations).

While David Moran was immense on Sunday I thought, he'd a quiet enough year - so while for me it would be him and Fenton, the selectors might use the opportunity to give the 2nd spot to Clare,  Tyrone or Galway. Colm Cavanaugh at 12/1 might not be a bad bet.

From a Dublin forward perspective, I think McManamon should be ahead of Kilkenny. 

tippabu

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
Not sure so many "nailed on" as mentioned above, or at least as mentioned. Half back line in particular is an absolute mine field - there will be top players who miss out.

James McCarthy was arguably (and in my opinion) the best player in the country, and certainly the leading half back, for the duration of the league. Injury has set him back in the queue, but a big final and he'll be a massive contender.

Lee Keegan had a poor Connacht championship, and a poor first 20 minutes v Tipp, and I think people have him nailed on because of his name (bear in mind I do think he is the best wing back in the country) but for me, based purely on this year I think he still has some work to do in the final to pass out Harte and McHugh - although one of the latter could perhaps be accommodated at half forward.

Colm Boyle was easily Mayo's best player in Connacht, but has been quieter in the back-door. But again a big final and he's right in contention. Also for the Dubs, Cian O'Sullivan has strolled through the championship, but when the muck hit the fan on Sunday, he stepped up in fantastic style. Like Keegan, if you were picking an Ireland GAA XV to play a match, he'd be a cert starter, but would need a good final to get an All Star in my view. 

Meanwhile Paddy Power make Paul Murphy the number 1 favourite for a half back spot, ahead of all the above mentioned!

Not sure about Quinlivan being a cert. Does he not hit too many wides? With the Tipp keeper now looking very good, that could be all Tipp get (along with a few nominations).

While David Moran was immense on Sunday I thought, he'd a quiet enough year - so while for me it would be him and Fenton, the selectors might use the opportunity to give the 2nd spot to Clare,  Tyrone or Galway. Colm Cavanaugh at 12/1 might not be a bad bet.

From a Dublin forward perspective, I think McManamon should be ahead of Kilkenny.

Quinlivan is 1/50 with paddy power, think you could probably call him a cert at them odds. I think hes top scorer from play in the championship and his game is more about being that target man, drifting out field and bringing others into it.

INDIANA

I'd be comfortable to put my mortgage on all 13 being correct

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2016, 11:07:09 PM

I'd be comfortable to put my mortgage on all 13 being correct

Now, I'm no bookmaker, but by my calculations that will return odds of 1413.291/1.

A quick google tells me (info from 2014)
"Average loan size is increasing marginally.
The average mortgage loan in the market increased to €170,720 in Q2 2014, which is up 6.5% compared to Q2 2013. The average First Time Buyer loan is €162,000. The average mover mortgage is €209,000.
"

You're going to be rich!
Hasta la victoria siempre

DuffleKing

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 29, 2016, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 29, 2016, 07:22:27 PM
I have M Donnelly in before brennan or have A O`Se at midfield

Donnelly's chances are blighted by his black card against Donegal and his non-impact on the game as a result. Sludden is very unlucky but he won't come into serious consideration due to the QF exit. McCarron really deserves one, marked Murphy out of it in the Ulster final and thought he was brilliant against Mayo and was one a handful of players who looked to drag us over the line.

Harte has to be a banker though, superb in pretty much every game for us in Championship, he really should be a nominee for footballer of the year but no chance of that given we didn't make the last 4.

Is that a joke? He really doesn't

nrico2006

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 31, 2016, 10:48:26 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 29, 2016, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 29, 2016, 07:22:27 PM
I have M Donnelly in before brennan or have A O`Se at midfield

Donnelly's chances are blighted by his black card against Donegal and his non-impact on the game as a result. Sludden is very unlucky but he won't come into serious consideration due to the QF exit. McCarron really deserves one, marked Murphy out of it in the Ulster final and thought he was brilliant against Mayo and was one a handful of players who looked to drag us over the line.

Harte has to be a banker though, superb in pretty much every game for us in Championship, he really should be a nominee for footballer of the year but no chance of that given we didn't make the last 4.

Is that a joke? He really doesn't

He deserves it as much as any other defender, he had a brilliant year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

McCarron? How did he have a brilliant year? As far as I could see his year was made up of roaring at lads, and kicking wides. Ah no, in all seriousness he's been okay, but he's very protected in that Tyrone formation and there's no way he's been more deserving of an All star than the likes of Philly McMahon, Keith Higgins, Brendan Harrison or a few other lads.

IT's actually hard to say who is deserving of defensive, and indeed attacking, awards because of the way positions have changed. Keith Higgins wears number 4, is he a corner back? Philly McMahon bombs forward. Harrison is probably more of an archetype corner back and has had a very good debut season. If he keeps his man quiet in the AIF, I'd say he'll get one.