2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Yeah, not sure how Brogan could have left him out, even the honourable mentions section! Boyle would be a shoe in for an All Star at the moment IMO.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2016, 05:51:30 PM
Yeah, not sure how Brogan could have left him out, even the honourable mentions section! Boyle would be a shoe in for an All Star at the moment IMO.

Was he actually that good against Galway though for example? For all his grimacing and running around giving dunts to lads, his marker (a championship rookie) scored 0-3 from play. Don't get me wrong he's a good player but sometimes all the extraneous stuff covers up the actual performance. I didn't see the Kildare and Fermanagh games in full though so he could have been great in those I suppose.

moysider

When I saw Brogan had not bothered with Boyle I lost interest.

Against Galway Boyle was the only Mayo player to show the required intensity as well as leadership. I remember in the first half he was urging others to up it but sadly that did not happen. Against Kildare it was Boyle who instigated the purple patch before half time, after we had gone very flat again for 15 mins. I think he should have been left as captain. Cillian has enough on his plate and seems to be struggling for fitness still.

seafoid

Surely either Clare or Tipp will get an all star
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Gary Brennan has a good chance. Don't think any Tipp player has really stood out, it's been a collective effort. If they beat Galway there's a chance for someone like Quinlivan or Sweeney I suppose.

Hound

Quote from: moysider on July 22, 2016, 10:15:45 PM

When I saw Brogan had not bothered with Boyle I lost interest.

Against Galway Boyle was the only Mayo player to show the required intensity as well as leadership. I remember in the first half he was urging others to up it but sadly that did not happen. Against Kildare it was Boyle who instigated the purple patch before half time, after we had gone very flat again for 15 mins. I think he should have been left as captain. Cillian has enough on his plate and seems to be struggling for fitness still.
In fairness, just because Boyle has played well, it doesn't mean he's been better than Tiernan McCann, Peter Harte and Ryan McHugh.  Cian O'Sullivan a strong contender too, not to mention James McCarthy who would have been first choice had it been based on league performances. Plenty of good options in the half back line for these meaningless interim awards, and I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with Brogan's choice.

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2016, 09:40:02 AM
Gary Brennan has a good chance. Don't think any Tipp player has really stood out, it's been a collective effort. If they beat Galway there's a chance for someone like Quinlivan or Sweeney I suppose.

After yesterday acheson is 4/5 and quinlivan 1/3, both in with a great shout if they have decent games in the semi

yellowcard

Tipperary will now get one All Star minimum, I'd say Quinlivan has been their most impressive player to date.

macdanger2

Quote from: yellowcard on August 01, 2016, 02:39:23 PM
Tipperary will now get one All Star minimum, I'd say Quinlivan has been their most impressive player to date.

Yeah, I'd say you're looking at:

Tipp - min 1
Tyrone - min 1
Kerry - min 1
Mayo, Donegal & Dublin - min 1 if they make a SF
Winners - 7
Losing finalist - 4

Captain Obvious

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2016, 03:44:00 PM

Yeah, I'd say you're looking at:

Tipp - min 1
Tyrone - min 1
Kerry - min 1
Mayo, Donegal & Dublin - min 1 if they make a SF
Winners - 7
Losing finalist - 4

Ya same as. Galways chance of winning at least one All Star is now gone. Tipperary should win at least one. Tyrone will win one for winning Ulster and more if they get further. Mayo will have to beat Tyrone to win any.

Fuzzman

Sean Cav,  Colm Cavan and Peter Harte will win one if we beat Mayo. Maybe Tiernan if he can get a few points.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2016, 05:38:07 PM
Sean Cav,  Colm Cavan and Peter Harte will win one if we beat Mayo. Maybe Tiernan if he can get a few points.
Not if Tipp win the semi.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Very premature to be talking about Tipp being guaranteed an All-Star at this stage.
Teams don't win All-Stars, players do.
Loads of football to be played yet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on August 01, 2016, 06:21:54 PM

Very premature to be talking about Tipp being guaranteed an All-Star at this stage.

I think that's only partially true. Historically they are dished out based on how far a team progresses in the championship. You could be the best footballer in the country but if your team is knocked out in the qf you will not be getting an all star. There is plenty of guess work involved at this stage, David Moran was a prime example last year who was one of the favourites for footballer of the year prior to the semi final and 2 games later he didn't even get an all star.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 01, 2016, 06:21:54 PM

98% of the football for the year is in the bank. Damning indictment of the All-Stars that only the games that are left will really factor in judging.