How is Division 2 Decided?

Started by Seany, April 14, 2008, 03:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Is it a straight final between first and second, or do they play another division, or what?  Or is there a final at all? 

AZOffaly

All 4 Divisions have a 'final' to decide the division champions. The final is between both promoted teams in divisions 2,3 and 4.

Seany

Thanks and apologies for taking up a thread to ask this question

AZOffaly

There's a lot more 'silly' threads than this one. No bother. By the way, I think all league finals are down for decision on the weekend of the 26th/27th. Division 2 and 4 have yet to be finalised.

Model Hammer

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2008, 03:47:03 PM
There's a lot more 'silly' threads than this one. No bother. By the way, I think all league finals are down for decision on the weekend of the 26th/27th. Division 2 and 4 have yet to be finalised.
AZ, if you mean the pairings are yet to be finalised, you forgot to include Division 3. Remember if Down beat Fermanagh and Louth beat Wexford, with a combined swing of 8 points towards the Mourne Men, then Down will go up. For example, Down win by 5, Louth win by 3 ..... hardly beyond the realms of possiblity ....

AZOffaly

Jinxy

AT this stage I wouldn't be surprised if Div. 2 was decided by rock, paper, scissors.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Model Hammer on April 14, 2008, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2008, 03:47:03 PM
AZ, if you mean the pairings are yet to be finalised, you forgot to include Division 3. Remember if Down beat Fermanagh and Louth beat Wexford, with a combined swing of 8 points towards the Mourne Men, then Down will go up. For example, Down win by 5, Louth win by 3 ..... hardly beyond the realms of possiblity ....

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle!! Yes, it is technically possible, but it is highly unlikely, I think you are safe MH
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

armaghniac

For the purposes of a bet, how is it decided who tops the table, do they just compare Dublin score difference with Monaghan, even though one played Cork and the other didn't?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think score difference is only taken into account if the teams involved both played Cork.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armaghniac

I suspect the bookies will just add up the scores, there is a strong probability of Dublin and Monaghan both having 11 points. This makes no difference to the GAA, as both play in a the final, but if you had a wager on who tops the table it does make a difference.

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

armaghniac

Boylesports. I'll have to ask them, I suppose.

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on April 15, 2008, 12:49:06 AM
Boylesports. I'll have to ask them, I suppose.
It depends whether the bet was who will win Division 2 or who will top the table. The winner of Division 2 will be whoever wins the final - even if they came second in the table. But if the bet is who will top the table, and both Dub and Mon finish on 11 points - then IMO it should be considered a "dead heat" for bookies purposes.

Main Street

On PP the bet is on who lifts the Div 2 trophy.
You'd have to say that cuts out all the cráp.

FWIW
Dubs are 2/5
Monaghan 2/1
Westmeath 12/1