PSP Question

Started by Seany, December 31, 2007, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

The lad got a new memory card and seemed to think he could download games onto his PSP.  I got onto Mininova and yes, there were games and I downloaded them.  I then went thru the procedure for putting them onto the PSP< but it wouldn't let me do it.

I dug further...

Turns out you need to have the earlier 2.0 firmware on the PSP to be able to download games.  My lad has a newer version, (3.5) or something.  It appears Sony cottoned onto the download business and sorted it out in the later versions. 

I dug further...

It appears you can downgrade your PSP by downloading downgrade software.  I hear from internet that this might be unreliable and could erase your entire setup, but others say it's OK.

Has anyone any help for me on this?  Is there a way of downloading PSP games without having to downgrade? Or has anyone else downgraded with no problems???

gerry

looked into the same a few years ago for my son.  You need to downgrade your psp to a 1.5 version in order to get games to work.

I got games, cables and download software to do this, but after researching on net theres a lot of downgrade software that turn your psp into a "Brick" ie fecked, cause they have a virus in them.

I fired all the download gear in a cupboard and forgot about it. Thought after forking out £180, i would not take the chance.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Would yous not buy the games? 
*shakes head*
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I'm with you on that one pints

Windmill abu

QuoteI got games, cables and download software to do this, but after researching on net theres a lot of downgrade software that turn your psp into a "Brick" ie fecked, cause they have a virus in them.

You don't have to have a virus to "Brick" your PSP. Last year my son was upgrading the firmware on his PSP with a Genuine PSP game he had received as a present. He lost the power to the PSP while the upgrade was in progress and turned the PSP into something that might as well be a brick.

Upgrading or downgrading your firmware can be a very risky business. It is something that Sony expects you to do to enable you to play the latest games. But when it goes wrong Sony and their retail agents refuse to stand over it under warranty.

Bricking a PSP is a common problem and their are loads of web sites dedicated to it. But they all agree that when it happens the only solution is to buy a new one and put it down to experience.

The lesson is dont f*** about with the firmware unless it is really necessary
Never underestimate the power of complaining

The Real Laoislad

Took me a few hours but I have finally jailbreaked my psp.
Just downloaded a few games like FIFA 11 and GTA and they all work great..and for free  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lfdown2

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 23, 2011, 07:50:17 PM
Just downloaded a few games like FIFA 11 and GTA and they all work great..and for free  :)

How did ye go about it?

declan85

Bought a PSP on Ebay that already had the "custom firmware" on it. This was the first i heard of it but its brilliant. Saving a ton of money.

My advice would be to buy one on Ebay that already has the custom firmware on it and then when you get that and get it working okay put your own PSP up on ebay and get some money back...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: lfdown2 on February 24, 2011, 05:01:42 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 23, 2011, 07:50:17 PM

How did ye go about it?

Well it was due to a good slice of luck and trial and error more than anything.

Basically I downloaded a software called ChickHen and installed that on my PSP..
When that eventually works..and it takes a lot of attempts...I installed a program called Hellcats Recovery Flasher which will install a Custom Firmware on your PSP.
It can prove difficult as there are so many different versions of the PSP,mine turned out to be a PSP Phat 1000.
I watched a load of Youtube videos to get me through it,not all of them will work with your PSP so its a matter of finding the right one.

I have Madden 11,FIFA 11,Pro Evo 11,GTA Chinatown Wars,Tom Clanceys Ghost Recon and Gran Turismo all downloaded onto it now for free.
When I get home tonight I am going to try and figure out how to put Emulators and Roms on it to allow you to play Sega Megadrive and SNES games etc.
You'll Never Walk Alone.