2010 Congress is a Games Rule Changing one. Which one would you change?

Started by Seany, August 13, 2009, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Next year's congress is the once in five years one where games rules can be changed.  I reckon it's time to give 2 points for a sideline cut.  Which one would you change?

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

020304 Tir Eoghain

In football, 2 points given for a point from play outside, say 35 metres.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

boojangles

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: ross4life on August 14, 2009, 12:08:24 AM
only allow 5 subs in 70mins & 3 more in extra time ;)

Think Kerry's pushing for that one ross, up to & including minor only i believe :D
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

western exile

The standard of umpires (or lack of it) needs to be addressed.

JMohan

High Wide and Handsome

Quote from: western exile on August 14, 2009, 02:36:31 AM
The standard of umpires (or lack of it) needs to be addressed.

Think this one is probably the only rule I would change. Think there needs to be an umpire behind the nets also as some decisions are a complete joke.
"Swing er over!"

botman

Only allowed to kick scores from frees off the ground. Not out of the hands. Just think it's and art that is lost.
Keep them at it.

Hardy

As JMohan suggests, there's not much wrong with the game if refereed properly. We urgently need to review how the tackle rule and all the sanctions against physical contact are being interpreted. The tendency to penalise all physical contact has to be eradicated and we need a directive to state that if the ball is clearly the objective, incidental physical contact, no matter how hard or spectacular looking is not a foul. Won't happen, of course and football will continue to deteriorate into a contest in avoiding bumping into people. I never thought I'd see players (Meath players even  ;D) holding their hands above their heads as a player runs past to indicate they're not touching him.

One thing I'd do is try something to eliminate the argy-bargy that goes on at the awarding of of about 50% of frees where a horde of the team getting the free sets about the man in possession of the ball and proceeds to thump, pull, wrestle and elbow him to get the ball back. All of this without penalty. It's the starting point of many a melee. Yes, the man in possession should release the ball and yes, sometimes he's holding on on purpose to slow things down and prevent the quick free. But more often than not he's hardly had time to hear the whistle before he's being assaulted. Then, of course, he can't be seen to give in to physical intimidation, holds on, hits back, gets into a wrestling match or whatever. It's a mess and needs cleaning up.

Rule 4.18 covers the holding-on offence by allowing for moving the ball forward, but that's not a sufficient penalty more than say 60 metres out. I'd suggest that for all such offences committed in the opposition's half, the free should be moved forward into the offender's half. Then, to eliminate the mini-fight at every free award, I'd also penalise the team that engages in wrestling for the ball with cancellation of the free and a hop ball.

Which, of course would only work if the referees would apply the rules correctly - or at all, in some cases. I think we need to subject referees to the same disciplines as the rest of the members, with penalties and suspensions for failing to do their jobs properly. The "goalkeeper must stay on his line for a penalty" rule is NEVER implemented. Why? Why should a team that has a penalty saved in this way go out of the championship entirely down to the refusal of the referee to apply the rules, yet the ref can get selected for the next big match? Same applies to the rules about feigning injury or a foul, the palmed point and a whole lot of others I could think of if I tried.

The biggest problem we have is not the rules, it's the failure to apply them.

SidelineKick

I suppose its not really a rule but I would have to agree with the posters that mentioned the umpires.  For too long they've been props in the game, merely waving the white or green flag after a score.

I like when umpires make a call and stick to it.  The shambles of "was it or wasnt it a point" is happening too often these days.

In the Derry V Tyrone game at Casement this year the ball allegedly went out for a 45 and the umpire signalled.  The ref missed it and play went on up the field, for approximately a minute or more.  The umpire, regardless of whether he was right or wrong, stood with his arm raised at the point where the ball (allegedly) crossed the line.  He was getting abuse from the crowd (and for that I do apologise, it was a frustrating day :P) but he stuck to his guns. Play was stopped and the 45 taken*

* Missed by the way! Justice I tells ya!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

lynchbhoy

take the time keeping duties from the ref
or
add a second referee
or
give more powers to umpires/sideline men
or
bring in proper procedure with listed offenses and their suspension durations and have tv/video evidence for ALL off the ball incidents or missed sendings off or potentially incorrect sendings off etc etc with charter not to allow people to bring cases tocourt.
or
allow women into the dressingrooms

SidelineKick

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 14, 2009, 10:13:32 AM
take the time keeping duties from the ref
or
add a second referee
or
give more powers to umpires/sideline men
or
bring in proper procedure with listed offenses and their suspension durations and have tv/video evidence for ALL off the ball incidents or missed sendings off or potentially incorrect sendings off etc etc with charter not to allow people to bring cases tocourt.
or
allow women into the dressingrooms

A 2nd ref isn't a bad idea.

TV evidence is not available for all off the ball incidents.

Women in dressing rooms is a no brainer.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

JMohan

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2009, 10:01:07 AM
As JMohan suggests, there's not much wrong with the game if refereed properly. We urgently need to review how the tackle rule and all the sanctions against physical contact are being interpreted. The tendency to penalise all physical contact has to be eradicated and we need a directive to state that if the ball is clearly the objective, incidental physical contact, no matter how hard or spectacular looking is not a foul. Won't happen, of course and football will continue to deteriorate into a contest in avoiding bumping into people. I never thought I'd see players (Meath players even  ;D) holding their hands above their heads as a player runs past to indicate they're not touching him.

One thing I'd do is try something to eliminate the argy-bargy that goes on at the awarding of of about 50% of frees where a horde of the team getting the free sets about the man in possession of the ball and proceeds to thump, pull, wrestle and elbow him to get the ball back. All of this without penalty. It's the starting point of many a melee. Yes, the man in possession should release the ball and yes, sometimes he's holding on on purpose to slow things down and prevent the quick free. But more often than not he's hardly had time to hear the whistle before he's being assaulted. Then, of course, he can't be seen to give in to physical intimidation, holds on, hits back, gets into a wrestling match or whatever. It's a mess and needs cleaning up.

Rule 4.18 covers the holding-on offence by allowing for moving the ball forward, but that's not a sufficient penalty more than say 60 metres out. I'd suggest that for all such offences committed in the opposition's half, the free should be moved forward into the offender's half. Then, to eliminate the mini-fight at every free award, I'd also penalise the team that engages in wrestling for the ball with cancellation of the free and a hop ball.

Which, of course would only work if the referees would apply the rules correctly - or at all, in some cases. I think we need to subject referees to the same disciplines as the rest of the members, with penalties and suspensions for failing to do their jobs properly. The "goalkeeper must stay on his line for a penalty" rule is NEVER implemented. Why? Why should a team that has a penalty saved in this way go out of the championship entirely down to the refusal of the referee to apply the rules, yet the ref can get selected for the next big match? Same applies to the rules about feigning injury or a foul, the palmed point and a whole lot of others I could think of if I tried.

The biggest problem we have is not the rules, it's the failure to apply them.
Exactly - that's the only issue I have