Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 07:25:04 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on October 25, 2020, 07:16:58 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:14 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 25, 2020, 03:51:28 PM
Wasn't there posters on here saying that Conor McKenna wouldn't be able to just slot into the side and make a difference?

They're the same people who will continue to push the narrative that Tyrone can't beat big teams. They'll be quiet for a while after this.

As far as I can remember Tyrone have not beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in about 7 years in championship football.
It's longer than that?

Possibly but you have to consider up to 2014 it was the old guard team with the likes of O'Neill, Carlin, Gormley and that ilk. 2015 marked the start of this Tyrone side really, since then we've been eliminated by Dublin twice convincingly, Kerry twice and Mayo once in much tighter affairs.

Were we a better team than Kerry or Mayo in that time? Did we have better players? Debatable.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 07:37:46 PM
I thought Tyrone hadn't beaten any of those teams since 2008?

As for the current lot, I still think they should have had Kerry beaten last year. There was a defeat to Mayo in which Tyrone were the better team too.
Dublin are a bit beyond them.

We lost to Kerry in 2015 and 2019 by 3 points each time.
We lost to Mayo in 2016 by a point.

We arguably could won all those games, the two games against Kerry we were absolutely rode by Maurice Deegan, we missed a huge amount of chances in the 2015 match to win that game.
In 2016 Mayo edged us out but we had loads of opportunities near the end to draw that game but couldn't take them.

I would say the marginal differences on those was a quality difference.

From 2015-2019 I don't think we underachieved too much - 2016 is the only year we never made it to the SF stage and that's when Mayo pipped us and very nearly took Dublin in the final.

Angelo

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 07:44:51 PM
I didn't think the question was about Tyrone underachieving. I don't think they have underachieved. It was whether they can beat the 3 other big teams in the championship.

That's fair but nobody has beaten Dublin since Donegal in 2014 so check those two off.

Next we're 0/2 against Kerry and 0/1 against Mayo. Hardly a huge pool to confirm that theory.

Thirdly now we have McKenna back, he's hardly back a wet week and he already looks our best player and main man, with McShane hopefully back fit and firing next year I think that makes us a different proposition.

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 08:07:01 PM
True but you have just completely disregarded about 7 years. "New generation" or not - they haven't beaten any of those 3 counties since 2008.

To be honest if we beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in championship this year but still lose the AI then I'll consider it as big a failure as every other year since 2008. People, especially lads on TV and here like to make a big thing of Tyrone not beating Mayo or Kerry but sure if we but them but still end up losing to the Dubs it means f**k all anyway.

Trying to argue your county is the 2nd best team to Dublin is like two bald lads arguing over a comb.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Angelo

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 08:07:01 PM
True but you have just completely disregarded about 7 years. "New generation" or not - they haven't beaten any of those 3 counties since 2008.

Different groups of players though. Tyrone were in terminal decline from 09-14 really. Guys like Jordan, Dooher, McGuigan, McGinley, O'Neill, Ricey etc - all some of our greats were blighted by injuries and mother time calling - it happens. Look at the great Down and Meath teams from the 90s, the Galway team that won two All Irelands, even Armagh. Look at how those counties fell away but to Harte's credit Tyrone stayed somewhat relevant, a consistent top 5/6 side.

Maybe it's time for a new voice, I'm not going to argue too much with that view but who? I don't see any candidates jumping up at me. I can't see the county board breaking the bank for a Jim McGuinness to come in.

Angelo

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 08:21:55 PM
I just don't think you can say "it isn't a huge pool to confirm the theory" when you yourself have greatly narrowed it.
Every time Tyrone meet one of these teams in the championship, they lose. It has been like that for 12 years.

But should that not be expected.

Everytime anyone meets Dublin they lose. Why?

Because Dublin are better than everyone else.

I don't think we were good enough to beat a top team from 2012 onwards.

You could make an argument from 09-11 but a lot of that great team were failing badly and maybe the hunger had gone with 3 All Irelands in some of them. From 12-14, we were nowhere near the class of Donegal or Dublin or even Kerry or Mayo. From 2015 we made a few progressive steps, I don't think we were a better team than Mayo, you could make an argument for Kerry but we didn't have the same calibre of forwards.

Is the argument you're making that we haven't punched above our weight in that time?

If Harte is in the job next, there will be extra pressure on him, I think for a lot of people there will be the expectation that maybe for the first time since 08, we have a group of players capable of winning an All Ireland.

Scoring Zone

Quote from: redzone on October 25, 2020, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:00:46 PM
Quote from: redzone on October 25, 2020, 05:53:20 PM
Surely meyler has to be dropped after them 2 games. He was diabolical, near cost us today again. I'd have raffertty on mchugh. Murphy is near unmarkable anyway so maybe a spoiler on him, Ben mxdonnell maybe.
A complete contrast today when we moved the ball quickly with the foot compared to last weeks lateral keep the ball. Mckenna has been brilliant

Meyler was poor today alright, there was one stage in the second half where he got the ball around the 45 yard line, the Mayo defence was MIA and had a straight run right down the middle of the goal for some reason started running over towards the corner away from goal. It was bizarre as another goal and that stage would have killed the game.

Meyler is a dog for work and he does bring benefits to the team but he hasn't really developed as a footballer, looks a player fairly low on confidence at the minute but he does have the engine and pace to match McHugh and we don't have many of those in the team.
Surely things like that in his game are flagged and are shown to him to try and make him better. There was a def a point if not a goal to be had today if he went straight down the middle that time. Same last week, headed to the corner flag instead of laying of to a runner coming in of his shoulder, got bottled up and kicked down the sideline and donegal turned it over and got there last goal of it. Same in the allireland final, ran out over the sideline with the ball rather than face the Dublin tackle, they scored a goal straight of the sideline ball. Dropped the ball when through at the start for a goal today. Seems to be undroppable along with hampsey and mccann

Meyler, McKernan and mcshane (bar 2018) have been unbelievably frustrating to watch, all of them have all the physical attributes that you would wish for, but nothing between the ears, running into tackles, poor shot selection, cheap cards over and over and over, surely this is mentioned in reviews as mentioned above, but until there is more consistency and improvement there may be a few ulsters but no AI, but McKenna's few glimpses of absolute class would give ye a bit of hope - great to watch

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
I'm just saying that when people say "Tyrone can't beat the top teams", it's not a load of shite as RedHand88 suggested it was.
They haven't been able to for 12 years and numerous attempts.
For various reasons. Sometimes, the other team were simply superior. Other times, Tyrone couldn't see out a game that they should have won.
Whatever the reason, they can't beat the top teams in the championship.

The main reason being, Harte will always go back to the nip and tuck 14 or 15 behind the ball and try to bring it to the last ten mins and win it on fitness. It will be the same on Sunday as it was in the first half v Donegal in the league there last week.

If McKenna is the real deal or not, we don't really know yet. It's been two games....one of which was lost against the team we play on Sunday too obviously. But he's certainly brought a belief and enthusiasm that seemed unthinkable since the news on McShane, he's freeing up others who look to be playing well including Peter Harte which can only bode well (if Tyrone decide to give it a go).

Unfortunately I can only see Harte reverting to type at the weekend. Donegal are well fit for that type of gameplan.

Taylor

McKenna has been really really good in the two games however I believe it will take McShane coming back before we see the best of him.

Harte doesnt seem to trust anyone else to play as an out an out forward.

I too fear for the game v Donegal.

Would love to see us go out and just go for the game rather than some of this shite we have seen lately.

Win and we are clear favourites for Ulster and a shot at an AI again

southtyronegael

So the jeykll and Hyde show continued with Tyrone yesterday. Hard to know what to expect this weekend. MC Kenna is a beast, great to see him back. Big test for him against Donegal who managed to nullify MC Shane last year.

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
I'm just saying that when people say "Tyrone can't beat the top teams", it's not a load of shite as RedHand88 suggested it was.
They haven't been able to for 12 years and numerous attempts.
For various reasons. Sometimes, the other team were simply superior. Other times, Tyrone couldn't see out a game that they should have won.
Whatever the reason, they can't beat the top teams in the championship.

The above is true if you are limiting the top teams to Mayo, Kerry and Dublin.  But most would include Donegal and Monaghan in that bracket too and Tyrone have beaten both quite a few times.

As for Tyrone, looking to next year it is exciting to think of a forward line that could include the like of McShane, McKenna, Bradley, Canavan etc. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Anyone have a copy of the Tyrone v Donegal victory in Ballybofey 2 years ago?
Could I get a copy in any way?

inroundthesquare

Take_her_back_ref

What kind of influence does Kevin Madden have with Tyrone? Does he take part in training or is he working in the background?

Angelo

Quote from: Take_her_back_ref on October 27, 2020, 06:03:34 PM
What kind of influence does Kevin Madden have with Tyrone? Does he take part in training or is he working in the background?

Had completely forgotten about him.