Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: clarshack on October 25, 2020, 03:51:28 PM
Wasn't there posters on here saying that Conor McKenna wouldn't be able to just slot into the side and make a difference?

I was one of those, fair play to him. Hard to make the argument he was going to come in and have this positive impact, mind you....It's not been all exceptional to the point Dublin and Kerry will be looking over the shoulder either.

And if Tyrone don't win next weekend it's hardly worth going full McKenna-Mania either just yet but its a good start. Gaelic Football can be quick to kick you in the ass. He's certainly brought a bit of belief but Donegal aren't going to be surprised by him now. It's all on Donegal.

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on October 25, 2020, 04:57:16 PM
McKenna and Canavan both class acts. Good confidence boosting win but you'd think that effort will take a lot out of them while Donegals main men had the feet up this weekend.

Midfield still a big concern.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pull it out of the bag next Sunday.

As long as we haven't picked up any serious injuries (I hope Michael O'Neill is ok) then I think a real tight battle today at full pelt will do us the world of good. We have always been at our best coming through the qualifiers playing week after week so I'm glad we had a do or die match this afternoon and it's a huge bonus that we came out on the right side of it. There's no need for rest at this stage and you could see the improvement in a number of player (none more than McKenna) after a game behind them. We may not win next weekend but I think we'll give it a decent rattle.
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

How do we see the matchups for next week?

We look like we'll probably be down Brennan, Hampsey, O'Neill, R Donnelly, Cassidy and Bradley along with McShane. That's probaby a third of our best starting XV.

In our last few meetings with Donegal we have had their main men just completely bossing the proceedings in Murphy and McHugh

Who picks up Murphy now? McNamee? Murphy wanders and we probably need McNamee on the edge of the square - perhaps McKernan. Brennan did a decent job on him last week but will likely not be available. McNamee has done well on McBrearty in the past too if he starts.

Meyler probably the best one to pick up McHugh.

Brennan has also caused us big problems in our last couple of meetings, I assume Rafferty will be the man tasked with watching him.

If we keep those 3 quiet then I think we have a good chance.

We will need a marked improvement in our kickouts too, we need to have a strategy in place there. We were better in this regard today but we need to be a lot better to have a genuine chance next weekend.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

redzone

Surely meyler has to be dropped after them 2 games. He was diabolical, near cost us today again. I'd have raffertty on mchugh. Murphy is near unmarkable anyway so maybe a spoiler on him, Ben mxdonnell maybe.
A complete contrast today when we moved the ball quickly with the foot compared to last weeks lateral keep the ball. Mckenna has been brilliant

Angelo

Quote from: redzone on October 25, 2020, 05:53:20 PM
Surely meyler has to be dropped after them 2 games. He was diabolical, near cost us today again. I'd have raffertty on mchugh. Murphy is near unmarkable anyway so maybe a spoiler on him, Ben mxdonnell maybe.
A complete contrast today when we moved the ball quickly with the foot compared to last weeks lateral keep the ball. Mckenna has been brilliant

Meyler was poor today alright, there was one stage in the second half where he got the ball around the 45 yard line, the Mayo defence was MIA and had a straight run right down the middle of the goal for some reason started running over towards the corner away from goal. It was bizarre as another goal and that stage would have killed the game.

Meyler is a dog for work and he does bring benefits to the team but he hasn't really developed as a footballer, looks a player fairly low on confidence at the minute but he does have the engine and pace to match McHugh and we don't have many of those in the team.

An Watcher

Should that not have been a straight red for keegans challenge on donnelly on the stroke of half time?

redzone

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:00:46 PM

Meyler was poor today alright, there was one stage in the second half where he got the ball around the 45 yard line, the Mayo defence was MIA and had a straight run right down the middle of the goal for some reason started running over towards the corner away from goal. It was bizarre as another goal and that stage would have killed the game.

Meyler is a dog for work and he does bring benefits to the team but he hasn't really developed as a footballer, looks a player fairly low on confidence at the minute but he does have the engine and pace to match McHugh and we don't have many of those in the team.
Surely things like that in his game are flagged and are shown to him to try and make him better. There was a def a point if not a goal to be had today if he went straight down the middle that time. Same last week, headed to the corner flag instead of laying of to a runner coming in of his shoulder, got bottled up and kicked down the sideline and donegal turned it over and got there last goal of it. Same in the allireland final, ran out over the sideline with the ball rather than face the Dublin tackle, they scored a goal straight of the sideline ball. Dropped the ball when through at the start for a goal today. Seems to be undroppable along with hampsey and mccann

square_ball

Quote from: An Watcher on October 25, 2020, 06:12:23 PM
Should that not have been a straight red for keegans challenge on donnelly on the stroke of half time?

Yes thought so too. It's a cheap shot that never ever gets punished.

Angelo

Quote from: redzone on October 25, 2020, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:00:46 PM

Surely things like that in his game are flagged and are shown to him to try and make him better. There was a def a point if not a goal to be had today if he went straight down the middle that time. Same last week, headed to the corner flag instead of laying of to a runner coming in of his shoulder, got bottled up and kicked down the sideline and donegal turned it over and got there last goal of it. Same in the allireland final, ran out over the sideline with the ball rather than face the Dublin tackle, they scored a goal straight of the sideline ball. Dropped the ball when through at the start for a goal today. Seems to be undroppable along with hampsey and mccann

Thought McCann was a lot better today. Our half back options have gone a bit stale, the O'Neill injury is a shame as he did well today.

Burns, McGeary, McCann, McKernan have all been pretty average of late. Brennan and Rafferty have been doing well in the corners so I'd leave them there. We have plenty of options in the half back line but none of them are really putting their hand up and making themselves undroppable.

Angelo

Thought Kennedy did really well in the first half but was noticeably tiring before he came off.

Coney was poor when he came in.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:33:23 PM
Thought Kennedy did really well in the first half but was noticeably tiring before he came off.

Kyle Coney isn't the answer. He has zero work rate. Ardboe allow him to play a quarter back roll and prance around and look out passes. You can't get away with that at inter county level. I don't even think he gets away with it at club level.

He has all the skills and talent but not the effort to make it work
Living the dream!!!

Angelo

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on October 25, 2020, 06:46:08 PM

Kyle Coney isn't the answer. He has zero work rate. Ardboe allow him to play a quarter back roll and prance around and look out passes. You can't get away with that at inter county level. I don't even think he gets away with it at club level.

I think we have now reached a stage next year where the squad is undoubtedly good enough for an All Ireland (with a full hand at its disposal).

McKenna and McShane back and guys like Harte, Donnelly, Bradley, McCurry, Canavan, Sludden, McAliskey, Brennan, Bradley, Donaghy available then for the first time I think we have a forward line that can mix it with your Dublin, Kerry and Donegals.

We do have issues in our half back line and midfield but I think we should be able to sort these.

tyrone08

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:14 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 25, 2020, 03:51:28 PM
Wasn't there posters on here saying that Conor McKenna wouldn't be able to just slot into the side and make a difference?

They're the same people who will continue to push the narrative that Tyrone can't beat big teams. They'll be quiet for a while after this.

As far as I can remember Tyrone have not beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in about 7 years in championship football.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:57:50 PM

I think we have now reached a stage next year where the squad is undoubtedly good enough for an All Ireland (with a full hand at its disposal).

McKenna and McShane back and guys like Harte, Donnelly, Bradley, McCurry, Canavan, Sludden, McAliskey, Brennan, Bradley, Donaghy available then for the first time I think we have a forward line that can mix it with your Dublin, Kerry and Donegals.

We do have issues in our half back line and midfield but I think we should be able to sort these.
Very optimistic and it looks good on paper. But with Harte still over the team will he be adventurous enough to play as many attacking players as he can?
Also Donnelly and Harte will be 31 next year, so coming towards their end in the next few years and can you really see McAliskey and Brennan being involved?

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on October 25, 2020, 07:17:17 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:57:50 PM

Very optimistic and it looks good on paper. But with Harte still over the team will he be adventurous enough to play as many attacking players as he can?
Also Donnelly and Harte will be 31 next year, so coming towards their end in the next few years and can you really see McAliskey and Brennan being involved?

I genuinely think with McKenna and McShane available it will force Harte's hand to be more adventurous. Donnelly was flying today, he seems to have came back from that injury really well, both are still 29, they turn 30 in November and December respectively so we should knock another 2/3 years out of them.

I'd be playing Harte close to goal from now, I think he's a good ball winner, he has got that burst of pace and eye for goal and is comfortable off both feet. I think he's an ideal foil for McShane in there. McKenna should be given a free role on the 40 and I think McCurry has done a good job in a roving role this year, getting on the ball, linking play and taking scores. Bradley played his best football for Tyrone so far at 11 so I'd utilise him similarly.

Whether McAliskey and Brennan come back is probably up to them. Ronan O'Neill came back in and he'd definitely be behind them for a place if it came to it so that really depends on the desire for both of these players to come back, work hard and fight for a place. I don't really have an awful lot of sympathy for Lee Brennan, he's got to want that jersey as much as the guys he's competing with a spot for or he won't get but we know his talent. The last time he was in he threw a strop when he fell behind in the pecking order. We have had guys like Bradley, McCurry, McAliskey and O'Neill there battling it out for 1/2 places between them so he's go to show an improvement in attitude.

Is Harte the right man for the job? I don't know but you look across the county right now and see if you can tell me if we have a real standout option to replace him?