Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 01, 2019, 01:01:19 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 31, 2019, 10:27:12 PM
Heard from a very good source that Dublin hasn't been mentioned in training this last two weeks, only the semi final.
Fella said that Tyrone will be weakened team this week. Mightnt field at all.

See if that what you say turns out to be a load of aul shite, will you come back here and admit so ?

Do you seriously think he thinks Tyrone mightn't field? 🤔
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Angelo on July 31, 2019, 11:06:16 PM
I'd go with something along the following lines for the weekend:

1. Gallen
2. HP McGeary
3. Hampsey
4. Rafferty
5. McCann
6. McCrory
7. Cassidy
8. McDonnell
9. Grugan
10. McClure
11. Coney
12. Sludden
13. Skeet
14. R Donnelly
15. McCurry

There's a few I'm not sure about the status of:

Mulgrew - don't think he has featured in a matchday squad since the opening league game against Kerry, heard he was injured but not sure if he's available again or still with the squad
Loughran - hasn't featured at all this year to my recollection. Not sure if injured or just not in favour, was included in the squad portraits back at the the end of April, possibly could have opted out since?
McNabb - as above
B Burns - hasn't featured this year, missed the start of the season while recuperating from an ACL operation, probably available now but just well down the pecking order
R McHugh - similar to above
McLaughlin - fleetingly in and out of the matchday 26, seems to just be out of favour

It's a long hard year for lads who aren't getting game time so I hope the management give them this chance where the result is secondary to make a claim.

McHugh and Loughran still long term injuries and doubt they'll feature this year. Loughran came up with a few important goals last year but can't get a chance with injury problems. Assume McNabb is gone at this stage.

I can see it being a team like the above with plenty of changes and boys who haven't played as much recently like McCann getting a start.

Although there is no pressure to get the win Harte will want to compete and expect a performance from the team. He'll be looking to prove that we have options on the bench like the Dubs.  I'm sure he'll be hammering home the fact that the semi final is the following weekend and places are up for grabs. It's actually quite an interesting game with a number of changes and seeing how the subs perform at such a decent level.

Ethan Tremblay

What would most Tyronies thinking be on this match? Surley Harte will be looking to find a chink in the Dublin armour either tactically or via exposing their weakest area on the pitch (if either actually exist). 

A very unique situation for both teams, a dead rubber match effectively with Tyrone everything to gain.  If Tyrone win, it will give them a mental edge going forward, if Tyrone lose it is to be expected. 

Likewise if Dublin win, it is expected, if they lose, it is a kick in the ass at a pivotal moment in the season. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

RedHand88

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on August 01, 2019, 09:07:47 AM
What would most Tyronies thinking be on this match? Surley Harte will be looking to find a chink in the Dublin armour either tactically or via exposing their weakest area on the pitch (if either actually exist). 

A very unique situation for both teams, a dead rubber match effectively with Tyrone everything to gain.  If Tyrone win, it will give them a mental edge going forward, if Tyrone lose it is to be expected. 

Likewise if Dublin win, it is expected, if they lose, it is a kick in the ass at a pivotal moment in the season.

So long as we aren't embarrassed I'll be happy. Not bothered about the result.
Far rather find a chink in the armour later on in the year  :P

tyrone08

No point in going full throttle and potentially beat Dublin  in a game that doesn't really matter. Why give the dubs a chance to strength any potential weakness they may have.

Under Lights

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 01, 2019, 01:01:19 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 31, 2019, 10:27:12 PM
Heard from a very good source that Dublin hasn't been mentioned in training this last two weeks, only the semi final.
Fella said that Tyrone will be weakened team this week. Mightnt field at all.

See if that what you say turns out to be a load of aul shite, will you come back here and admit so ?

The first part of my post is true. The second folly.

trueblue1234

I don't see a big benefit in winning if I'm honest. Firstly (and rightly so) people will say that it was only against an under strength and uninterested Dublin if they do win. So even the psychological benefit will be watered down on the players.
Course getting battered by Dublin's 2nds wouldn't be a great result either. As long as it's close and we ring in a number of changes then a win or loss by a few points doesn't really matter. I'd be more worried about protecting the main players and not revealing too much to the Dubs.

That said. I think McShane will start....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tyroneman

Fed up playing Donegal too..would love to get a crack at Kerry (or Mayo) and try to put to get rid of the  'can't beat any of the big 3' accusations.

Personally I don't think we got the credit we deserved for beating Doneagl (in Ballybofey) and Monaghan in Croke last year.

Snapchap

Quote from: tyroneman on August 01, 2019, 12:56:49 PM
Fed up playing Donegal too..would love to get a crack at Kerry (or Mayo) and try to put to get rid of the  'can't beat any of the big 3' accusations.

Personally I don't think we got the credit we deserved for beating Doneagl (in Ballybofey) and Monaghan in Croke last year.

Sadly, it's more than an accusation. We haven't beaten any of 'the big three' since we won the All-Ireland in 2008. In the intervening eleven years, we've played Dublin, Kerry or Mayo a total of 9 times in the championship and won none of them (only one was a draw, the rest we lost by an average of 5.6 points).

I unfortunately expect another two losses to Dublin & probably Kerry over the following fortnight.

scout

Snapchap, when did Tyrone draw with one of those teams in championship since 2008? Can barely mind it.

Snapchap

Quote from: scout on August 01, 2019, 03:29:46 PM
Snapchap, when did Tyrone draw with one of those teams in championship since 2008? Can barely mind it.

My apologies, got slightly mixed up, there were no draws. 9 defeats from the 9 games vs the 'big 3' in the last 11 years.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Snapchap on August 01, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 01, 2019, 12:56:49 PM

Sadly, it's more than an accusation. We haven't beaten any of 'the big three' since we won the All-Ireland in 2008. In the intervening eleven years, we've played Dublin, Kerry or Mayo a total of 9 times in the championship and won none of them (only one was a draw, the rest we lost by an average of 5.6 points).

I unfortunately expect another two losses to Dublin & probably Kerry over the following fortnight.

The reason Tyrone didn't beat Kerry or Mayo last year was because neither team made it far enough in the championship. They were both poor last year and all logic suggests Tyrone would have beaten them.

You can also take Dublin out of the equation as they have beaten everyone in recent years and that accounts for the majority of the defeats.

The two losses that the current team endured against Kerry and Mayo were in 2015 and 2016. On both occasions the games were close with Tyrone losing narrowly. I do think our team has matured a good bit from then, in particular the 2015 u21 team which accounts for 6/7 starters.

Kerry seem to have improved from last year and they'd be a huge battle next week. I would give us a good chance of taking them though, it would be a massive game for this current Tyrone team and would be great for their confidence to get over the line.

Snapchap

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 01, 2019, 03:43:36 PM
The reason Tyrone didn't beat Kerry or Mayo last year was because neither team made it far enough in the championship. They were both poor last year and all logic suggests Tyrone would have beaten them.
You can only beat what is in front of you but we can't second guess what we 'would have' done if we'd met them at different times. The cold hard fact is that we've had 11 years and 9 opportunities against those three teams and we've lost every one of them.

You can also take Dublin out of the equation as they have beaten everyone in recent years and that accounts for the majority of the defeats.
Taking Dublin out of the equation doesn't cut it as an excuse. In those 9 years, only three of them were years that we were defeated by the Dubs and they went on to win the All-Ireland. Plus another year where they beat us and still didn't win the All-Ireland. Then there were another 3 years when Dublin won the All-Ireland but we still lost to Kerry or Mayo.

The two losses that the current team endured against Kerry and Mayo were in 2015 and 2016. On both occasions the games were close with Tyrone losing narrowly. I do think our team has matured a good bit from then, in particular the 2015 u21 team which accounts for 6/7 starters.
2016 was close, losing by a point (we still lost). In 2013, they beat us by 6 after dismantling us in the second half.

Kerry seem to have improved from last year and they'd be a huge battle next week. I would give us a good chance of taking them though, it would be a massive game for this current Tyrone team and would be great for their confidence to get over the line.
Sadly, I can't be so confident. The gameplan Mickey Harte has stuck rigidly to over the last decade has not been good enough and, after a promising shift of style in the league, it has reverted since the defeat to Donegal. Even if he switches back to the attacking style (with Donnelly in the forward line), it's a system we just aren't well versed enough in yet. We played it for a half a game vs Cork but that won't be enough to perfect it to face the Dublins or Kerrys.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Snapchap on August 01, 2019, 04:05:59 PM
You can only beat what is in front of you but we can't second guess what we 'would have' done if we'd met them at different times. The cold hard fact is that we've had 11 years and 9 opportunities against those three teams and we've lost every one of them.

Taking Dublin out of the equation doesn't cut it as an excuse. In those 9 years, only three of them were years that we were defeated by the Dubs and they went on to win the All-Ireland. Plus another year where they beat us and still didn't win the All-Ireland. Then there were another 3 years when Dublin won the All-Ireland but we still lost to Kerry or Mayo.

2016 was close, losing by a point (we still lost). In 2013, they beat us by 6 after dismantling us in the second half.

Sadly, I can't be so confident. The gameplan Mickey Harte has stuck rigidly to over the last decade has not been good enough and, after a promising shift of style in the league, it has reverted since the defeat to Donegal. Even if he switches back to the attacking style (with Donnelly in the forward line), it's a system we just aren't well versed enough in yet. We played it for a half a game vs Cork but that won't be enough to perfect it to face the Dublins or Kerrys.

As you say you can only beat what is put in front of you and I just don't get why we needed to beat Kerry or Mayo last year to prove anything when neither team were near All Ireland standard. They were both very poor in last years championship. Beating them would have been a bit like Kerry claiming their win over Tyrone in 2012 was beating the 2000's team.

Mayo a few years ago were certainly a top 3 team but they weren't last year and haven't looked like one in the championship so far this year.

Kerry the last few years have dropped back as well though may well improve again this year. If we end up playing them next week it will be a huge challenge and a game to really look forward to.

After all the defeats and their home record beating Donegal in Ballybofey was as big a monkey of Tyrone's back as beating Mayo or Kerry last year.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Snapchap on August 01, 2019, 04:05:59 PM

I think Mickey's game plan has been forced a little by the talent available. I don't believe we had the talent available within the county to challenge with the players we had from 2010-2018. In fact it's only been the emergence of McShane this year that allows us to be considered with the big boys again. If anything I think Mickey overachieved with the talent he had.

Beating Donegal last year in Ballybofey was as big a victory as beating Kerry or Mayo IMO.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit