Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Would we not be safer resting for the dead rubber game and going all out to beat Kerry (if that who tops the group) in the important match the following week? They drew with a weakened Donegal team yesterday so can't be that much stronger than them. And if we did beat them it would be a proper boost going into a final as opposed to beating a weakened Dublin team that didn't need to win anyway.

Jayop

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 22, 2019, 05:26:58 PM
Would we not be safer resting for the dead rubber game and going all out to beat Kerry (if that who tops the group) in the important match the following week? They drew with a weakened Donegal team yesterday so can't be that much stronger than them. And if we did beat them it would be a proper boost going into a final as opposed to beating a weakened Dublin team that didn't need to win anyway.

100% we need to rest several key players and anyone who's nursing any sort of an injury, but if we rest too many we run the risk of a tanking in Omagh and that could really set us back if we have to play Kerry in 6 days time.

omagh_gael

Both minor and u20 games will be shown live on TG4.

Jayop

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 23, 2019, 01:25:00 PM

Minor Vs kerry at 2pm
U20 Vs Cork at 4pm

For some reason I hadn't realised this was a double header. Can't wait and I'll take a spin down on Sunday now or these. Both games for €15 and kids in free. Hard te beat.

Redhand Santa

Are they not only live on their youtube channel?

Jayop

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 23, 2019, 03:29:40 PM

Minor hurling semi final is showing on their TV listings for Sunday afternoon anyway.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 23, 2019, 03:29:40 PM

Yes both games on TG4 Sport Youtube

imtommygunn

If you've a smart tv handy enough to stick on your tv.

Angelo

Made the brave decision to watch last year's All Ireland final again this evening.

Dublin started off quite sluggishly, they missed a few scores you'd expect them to get. Tyrone had a lot of joy with the early ball in but I think Cian O'Sullivan was struggling with an injury which was a factor. Tyrone were also extremely wasteful in their purple patch early on and could have been 6 or 7 points up as opposed to just 4.

A bad kickout from Morgan cost us the first goal and Dublin tagged on a few quick scores but we actually came back into the game after than and were a bit wasteful on a few occasions on the front foot. The second goal killed us, Meyler gave away a silly free out the pitch when there was no need and then McKernan needlessly over commited and sold himself which led to the second goal.

We completely wilted after the second goal and Dublin just seemed to hungrier to everything. The response wasn't good in that period and the game had eventually slipped away from us by HT. Our decision making went to shit and the players let their heads drop. I thought our defenders held up reasonably well for the most part, McKernan got absolutely destroyed by Con O'Callaghan and it was a failing from Mickey Harte not to change something earlier. Kilkenny also was beginning to grow into the game and get the better of McCann around this point.

On reviewing that, I think the same failings are still happening with McKernan, he is still very young and I don't want to be too harsh but he doesn't sense danger or read the game well. He's a gung ho type player who commits himself far too easily, this was exposed against Cork and Donegal already this year. He's got lots of energy and is physical and can be a good player to bring into games near the end but I don't think he's mature enough for the level of football we are entering into at this point in the year. I think Frank Burns suffers similarly to McKernan in that he overcommits too much when one on one but to a lesser degree.

The two goals were completely avoidable and Dublin were ruthless with them, they didn't play all that well in the first half but we gifted them two goal chances that were ruthlessly taken and it was game over.

Mayo have been in similar situations that Tyrone were in at that stage in the final. I can recall Mayo being 4/5/6 maybe even 7 points down to Dublin in some of their games in recent years and they've came right back at them. They didn't panic or let their heads drop and unfortunately that's where Tyrone fell apart last year. In that period, they lost their heads, panicked when faced with pressure and wilted in the battle, Dublin were targeting isolated Tyrone players and the support play wasn't there like it was in the early parts.

I do think Dublin are vulnerable when you get a run at them, we saw it in Omagh last year when the game looked gone and we nearly reeled them in near the end and we've seen it with Mayo in the past when they've brought themselves back into the game from big deficits. Cluxton is well capable of having a meltdown himself. Tyrone simply have to cut out the silly mistakes and be much, much resilient and composed in the face of setbacks. If you're start feeling sorry for yourself after a setback to Dublin, the game will be over with the snap of a finger.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GlenMan

Quote from: Angelo on July 24, 2019, 12:32:07 AM
Made the brave decision to watch last year's All Ireland final again this evening.

Dublin started off quite sluggishly, they missed a few scores you'd expect them to get. Tyrone had a lot of joy with the early ball in but I think Cian O'Sullivan was struggling with an injury which was a factor. Tyrone were also extremely wasteful in their purple patch early on and could have been 6 or 7 points up as opposed to just 4.

A bad kickout from Morgan cost us the first goal and Dublin tagged on a few quick scores but we actually came back into the game after than and were a bit wasteful on a few occasions on the front foot. The second goal killed us, Meyler gave away a silly free out the pitch when there was no need and then McKernan needlessly over commited and sold himself which led to the second goal.

We completely wilted after the second goal and Dublin just seemed to hungrier to everything. The response wasn't good in that period and the game had eventually slipped away from us by HT. Our decision making went to shit and the players let their heads drop. I thought our defenders held up reasonably well for the most part, McKernan got absolutely destroyed by Con O'Callaghan and it was a failing from Mickey Harte not to change something earlier. Kilkenny also was beginning to grow into the game and get the better of McCann around this point.

On reviewing that, I think the same failings are still happening with McKernan, he is still very young and I don't want to be too harsh but he doesn't sense danger or read the game well. He's a gung ho type player who commits himself far too easily, this was exposed against Cork and Donegal already this year. He's got lots of energy and is physical and can be a good player to bring into games near the end but I don't think he's mature enough for the level of football we are entering into at this point in the year. I think Frank Burns suffers similarly to McKernan in that he overcommits too much when one on one but to a lesser degree.

The two goals were completely avoidable and Dublin were ruthless with them, they didn't play all that well in the first half but we gifted them two goal chances that were ruthlessly taken and it was game over.

Mayo have been in similar situations that Tyrone were in at that stage in the final. I can recall Mayo being 4/5/6 maybe even 7 points down to Dublin in some of their games in recent years and they've came right back at them. They didn't panic or let their heads drop and unfortunately that's where Tyrone fell apart last year. In that period, they lost their heads, panicked when faced with pressure and wilted in the battle, Dublin were targeting isolated Tyrone players and the support play wasn't there like it was in the early parts.

I do think Dublin are vulnerable when you get a run at them, we saw it in Omagh last year when the game looked gone and we nearly reeled them in near the end and we've seen it with Mayo in the past when they've brought themselves back into the game from big deficits. Cluxton is well capable of having a meltdown himself. Tyrone simply have to cut out the silly mistakes and be much, much resilient and composed in the face of setbacks. If you're start feeling sorry for yourself after a setback to Dublin, the game will be over with the snap of a finger.

Great post and analysis!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: GlenMan on July 24, 2019, 10:44:43 AM
Quote from: Angelo on July 24, 2019, 12:32:07 AM

Great post and analysis!

+1, indeed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Under Lights

I agree right up to the Cluxton point. I think when he goes Dublin will be more vunerable

imtommygunn

O'sullivan and Fitzsimons can be got at. Mccaffrey looks practically impossible to mark though. O'Sullivan probably won't make their best 15.

Angelo

Quote from: Under Lights on July 24, 2019, 09:09:18 PM
I agree right up to the Cluxton point. I think when he goes Dublin will be more vunerable

I think Cluxton is overrated in general terms. There's 3 or 4 keepers in the game now every bit as good if not better than him. If Morgan, Beggan or Patton were in goals for Dublin, would they be a worse team? I don't think so.

All goalkeepers have meltdowns and can have spells in big games where kickouts go to pot when pushed up on. The difference is that it's much easier for Cluxton when he has/has had guys like Fenton, McAuley, Flynn, Howard, Connolly, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Scully, Small in that middle third area to hit - players who makes the right move and do the right thing with the ball.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on July 24, 2019, 09:42:32 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 24, 2019, 09:09:18 PM

I think Cluxton is overrated in general terms. There's 3 or 4 keepers in the game now every bit as good if not better than him. If Morgan, Beggan or Patton were in goals for Dublin, would they be a worse team? I don't think so.

All goalkeepers have meltdowns and can have spells in big games where kickouts go to pot when pushed up on. The difference is that it's much easier for Cluxton when he has/has had guys like Fenton, McAuley, Flynn, Howard, Connolly, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Scully, Small in that middle third area to hit - players who makes the right move and do the right thing with the ball.

Morgan definitely. Patton - not yet this year but it's only a few games. Beggan - Cluxton much more consistent but maybe not this last year. I think you underestimate Cluxton and his kick outs. He has been phenomenal over the years.